Hate college parties, unlike everyone else I know

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:42 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My daughter who left Uni went on to two other programs and is working full-time from home although she'll be in UK next week. My son's thesis is being published by Oxford Press. My other son is still living large in AUS and saving for a house. DIL studies Epidemiology.

Fantastic! you should be proud!

My 17 year old has literally no idea what she wants to do! I think she wants to travel and see the world for the rest of her life with mom and pop :lol:

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2023, 3:28 am

I never attended them. I couldn't see the point.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 5:21 am

Nobody will believe me but I swear when I was a student in the 1970s this sort of stuff wasn't happening or it was rare. You can claim this was because I lived in my own world, but I actually did 2 undergraduate degrees and certainly experienced enough parties, and had a number of sexual liaisons so I wasn't exactly isolated. One possibility may have been fewer women in general getting degrees, but in addition, the counterculture mindset simply didn't trend in that direction. The best way I can explain it is, it was understood that if a girl liked you she'd have sex with you. If you had any degree of confidence a girl would like you, you certainly wouldn't force yourself on her. You'd be seen as having a problem whereas it would seem from this thread that in the 80s and 90s rape somehow became mainstream. I do happen to believe that the culture of the Anglosphere did somehow become less mellow around the time Ronald Reagan became US President.

I do know of one specific case of someone who was raped in "frosh" which I will someday talk about in the Adult section, but to me it's still an isolated incident.

BTW I totally believe what people have said in this thread, I'm not trying to invalidate anyone's experience.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 8:31 am

I went to a few of these, mostly the parties of friends who were at university (not people from my university), and I was always super awkward at them.

I remember waking up anxious the next day, being embarrassed at any memories I had retained from the previous night.

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2024, 12:28 pm

I don't go to parties, they're too loud, too crowded and it's not even possible to talk.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2024, 11:47 am

I never went to a single one. And I don't feel like I missed out on a thing.

(I also wasn't ever invited. Haha. Either no one actually liked weirdo me or I just didn't hang out with a crowd that parties. I like to think more the latter, but the former is certainly possible)