Low Functioning Autism and High Functioning Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2023, 7:07 am

Can you explain what the main differences are between Low Functioning Autism and High Functioning Autism?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 10:03 am

When I am not stressed I am "high functioning" --- I can run errands, have flow at work. When I am stressed I am "low functioning" --- meltdowns, anxiety attacks etc. I think generally I am considered "high functioning" because I spend more time doing what is expected of an NT than not, but I am highly anxious every day all day in order to maintain that, so that stinks.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 12:46 pm

Follow this link

https://www.autismspeaks.org/autism-dia ... eria-dsm-5

Then search the page for “severity levels”.

Bigger numbers are more severe and more “low functioning”. Smaller numbers are less severe and more “high functioning”.
There are two different categories where one person can be higher or lower functioning, “Social communication” and “Restricted, repetitive behaviors”. It is a three point scale for each. Some professionals will give fractional numbers like “1.5”.

The two categories can get different numbers, or both the same (example both “severity level 1”).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:13 pm

I'm the perfect example of high-functioning. So high-functioning that I often question my diagnosis.
I could give more information if you'd like.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:18 pm

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

You've shared this a few times but none of these listed in the chart have anything to do with some of us. I don't have any social impairments, with or without support.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:36 pm

I've posted it before because people often ask for the levels criteria.
Some people even like to debate about the criteria, despite the fact they're clearly defined in the DSM.

Your assessment was so long ago the criteria have since changed, and you've also been diagnosed with ADHD. I know you don't identify with many of the autism standards so that's why I've recommended that you request an ASD reassessment to determine if you're on the spectrum, and what level or support needs you're classified as having. That could help you with your Housing List too, although I suppose the assessment might be a longer wait list than housing.

I can't speak for other people. They'd have to look at their report and see how their needs are described. Also I'm not sure how levels are determined for people on the ICD system.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 2:38 pm

I always thought it meant the difference between "full-blown" autism and ASD - i.e. ASD is high-functioning, the type of autism where you get to keep your intelligence, and HFA=Aspergers, near as dammit. But they may have changed the definitions since last time I looked.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:27 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've posted it before because people often ask for the levels criteria.
Some people even like to debate about the criteria, despite the fact they're clearly defined in the DSM.

Your assessment was so long ago the criteria have since changed, and you've also been diagnosed with ADHD. I know you don't identify with many of the autism standards so that's why I've recommended that you request an ASD reassessment to determine if you're on the spectrum, and what level or support needs you're classified as having. That could help you with your Housing List too, although I suppose the assessment might be a longer wait list than housing.

I can't speak for other people. They'd have to look at their report and see how their needs are described. Also I'm not sure how levels are determined for people on the ICD system.

Nothing to do with you, it's just that the chart is pretty inaccurate. I only seem to be affected by crippling anxiety, and maybe some sensory issues, but apparently according to a doctor I have spoken to about this before both anxiety and sensory issues are enough to be needed to qualify for autism. So maybe the chart should be accurate how it is, then they wouldn't be diagnosing every mental health problem as autism.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:31 pm

The DSM is inaccurate?

Also who is diagnosing every mental health problem as autism?

It's actually the other way around. Autistic people get dx with mental health problems, often for years, and sometimes can't get referrals for ASD assessment or else the doctor says they're not on the spectrum.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:43 pm

If you're the Rain Man and are obviously not right than you are "low functioning".

If you blend into society and are outwardly normal and it takes folks alongside you weeks to realize that there is something 'off' about you then you are...high functioning.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:45 pm

Rain Man wasn't autistic.

https://www.aruma.com.au/about-us/blog/ ... -kim-peek/

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 06 May 2023, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:46 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have any social impairments, with or without support.

Haven't you written before about not being included in social groups and not being able to make friends?
Among other things.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 3:54 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I always thought it meant the difference between "full-blown" autism and ASD - i.e. ASD is high-functioning, the type of autism where you get to keep your intelligence, and HFA=Aspergers, near as dammit. But they may have changed the definitions since last time I looked.

IQ testing isn't used for an ASD diagnosis, except for a few measures to compare Verbal vs. NonVerbal skill.

If the person seems to have very low IQ they'll do a full-scale IQ inventory but that is to determine secondary conditions like learning disabilities / intellectual disability, and rule out any other cause for the autistic behaviour.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 4:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

If you blend into society and are outwardly normal and it takes folks alongside you weeks to realize that there is something 'off' about you then you are...high functioning.

It can also mean a lower-functioning person is masking like hell, and paying the price with their physical health. People who appear High Functioning but aren't, usually develop serious health conditions from carrying so much stress and overtaxing their nervous system with sensory or social overwhelm.

In my case I had no choice but to work full-time as a single mum. I ended up having a clinical nervous breakdown when my adrenal system collapsed and my body couldn't produce adrenaline (the fight / flight hormone). I later suffered two strokes. I've been in burnout for over ten years and still haven't recovered from the stress of acting performing pushing myself working full time or presenting myself as a functional mother around the kids' friends.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 4:22 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I don't have any social impairments, with or without support.

Haven't you written before about not being included in social groups and not being able to make friends?
Among other things.

Yes, which is why I'm reluctant to get reassessed. But I'm more socially awkward than socially impaired (which are both different), but the recent criteria seems to state much more socially impaired cases than I've ever had.
I think it's the way I can instinctively understand nonverbal communication and respond correctly (as in cognitive empathy) that throws me.

This is where the "am I? Aren't I? I must be, because...but then again I can't be because..." comes from. Maybe that is what Asperger's means - half NT half autism, which is why I'm a big fan of severity levels.