Call for submissions for Spectrum (Horror Anthology)

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 4:38 am

Fnord wrote:
I remember a story on one of those "horror" series' on TV (Twilight Zone?  Night Gallery?) featuring a young boy who found a copy of the Necronomicon and began to read it.  After a while, he started seeing and hearing things no one else could, which further alienated him from his classmates and family until the night he had a severe panic attack and meltdown, while calling out the name "Cthulhu" several times.

The next morning, he was calmly eating breakfast while his mother was busy in the background.  After a few exchanges, the boy slowly tilts his head up to reveal that his eyes had changed color and acquired pupils shaped like those of a Nautilus shellfish.

Then he smiled.

I believe that was the 1980's Twilight Zone episode, Grandma , based on a story by Stephen King.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 5:05 am

↑ Reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia leads me to believe you are correct.  I will try to find a copy and review it.  I do wonder if the character of the grandson would be a model of someone on the ASD spectrum today.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2023, 12:35 am

that sounds like a cool idea

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 1:08 am

Fnord wrote:
I remember a story on one of those "horror" series' on TV (Twilight Zone?  Night Gallery?) featuring a young boy who found a copy of the Necronomicon and began to read it.  After a while, he started seeing and hearing things no one else could, which further alienated him from his classmates and family until the night he had a severe panic attack and meltdown, while calling out the name "Cthulhu" several times.

The next morning, he was calmly eating breakfast while his mother was busy in the background.  After a few exchanges, the boy slowly tilts his head up to reveal that his eyes had changed color and acquired pupils shaped like those of a Nautilus shellfish.

Then he smiled.

For a while growing up around new years there was a t.v channel that would do a twilight zone marathon, I loved watching that but always the next day I felt a little weird....just cause all the mind f**kery concepts and such that go on in that show....its like it took me a day or two to get over it, idk. But even so every year I'd still want to watch the marathon even if I was left feeling a bit disturbed for a couple days after.

I specifically recall the episode of the narcissist who only wanted to read with no distraction, so he got his wish initially but then he dropped and broke his glasses so he had all the time the world to read but with broken glasses no way to actually spend the time reading... and no one to read it for him cause it portrayed he was like the last human left on earth, like that is horror if you ask me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 3:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Then he smiled.

For a while growing up around new years there was a t.v channel that would do a twilight zone marathon, I loved watching that but always the next day I felt a little weird....just cause all the mind f**kery concepts and such that go on in that show....its like it took me a day or two to get over it, idk. But even so every year I'd still want to watch the marathon even if I was left feeling a bit disturbed for a couple days after.

I specifically recall the episode of the narcissist who only wanted to read with no distraction, so he got his wish initially but then he dropped and broke his glasses so he had all the time the world to read but with broken glasses no way to actually spend the time reading... and no one to read it for him cause it portrayed he was like the last human left on earth, like that is horror if you ask me.

Burgess Meredith was a narcissist? I rather thought he was too mild mannered for his own good, and put upon by people who saw literature as a waste of time.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 1:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Then he smiled.

Burgess Meredith was a narcissist? I rather thought he was too mild mannered for his own good, and put upon by people who saw literature as a waste of time.

Perhaps not, It's been a long time since I actually watched it...for some reason I thought I recalled them being rather full of them-self.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 5:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Then he smiled.

S'okay!

Perhaps not, It's been a long time since I actually watched it...for some reason I thought I recalled them being rather full of them-self.

S'okay!