Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 6:40 pm

Majority of Americans oppose gender-affirming care for minors, trans women participating in sports

Quote:
A Washington Post-KFF poll found that 68 percent of adults oppose access to puberty-blocking medication for transgender children ages 10-14 and 58 percent oppose access to hormonal treatments for transgender kids ages 15 to 17.

More than 60 percent said transgender women and girls should not be allowed to compete with other women and girls in youth, high school, college and professional sports.

A majority of adults surveyed in the poll, 57 percent, said a person’s gender is determined by their sex assigned at birth, while 43 percent said it can be different from their sex assigned at birth.

Those in the youngest age group, 18 to 34 years old, were most likely to say that gender can be different from sex assigned at birth, but 53 percent of that group said it could not.

Still, a majority of respondents said they support laws banning discrimination against transgender individuals in a range of different forums. About two-thirds or more said they support bans on transgender discrimination in the military, in K-12 schools, by medical professionals, in getting health insurance, at colleges and universities, at jobs and in the workplace and in housing.

More than 60 percent also said they support allowing transgender minors, both 10 to 14 and 15 to 17, to have access to gender-affirming counseling or therapy.

The survey was conducted from Nov. 10 to Dec. 1, 2022 among 1,338 U.S. adults. The margin of error was 4 points.

I would assume Republican polling is showing similar results and that is why they are pushing so hard on opposing the "trans agenda".

At first glance, this polling seems to suggest the Republicans can ride opposing the "Trans agenda" into victory but there are several reasons this may not be so.

The poll suggests that the public is more nuanced on these issues than the activists on both sides. The poll did not ask what should be taught and when but if the public is ok with minors having access to gender affirming care and therapies why would they oppose minors being taught about transgenderism? Where the public seems to draw a line is doing something medically about it until people are adults. The polling at first glance seems that the public is contradicting themselves, the majority of people are on board with gender as a binary thing but not do not want to discriminate against them and they are ok with gender-affirming care. This seems to show in most instances a live-and-let-live attitude and that a DeSantis approach could be perceived as bullying and backfire as will claims that people that identify as trans are part of a plot to infiltrate and undermine America.

Looking at the election while these issues are animating the media and people very into politics issues such as the economy, war and peace, and threats to democracy will probably decide the election not trans issues. Even on the one issues the public is clear about, they don't like trans women on women's sports team this is only going to affect a small minority of people, female athletes, their families their friends, etc. Even then most cis female athletes are not going to be competing against transwomen. Transgender people very small minority.

The one result that surprised me was that a small majority of Gen Z people agree that there are two genders. I probably wrongly conflated a let people do their own thing attitude with agreement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 11:00 am

Just the standard Repug gaslighting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 8:27 pm

Cis Women train to be in the Olympics their entire lives just to have those dreams crushed. I think that there should be the Translympc Games.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 1:26 am

Aaah, yes, distract the dim with nonsense about telling others who to be and how to live their lives instead of actually doing anything to better the lives of citizens.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 2:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Cis Women train to be in the Olympics their entire lives just to have those dreams crushed. I think that there should be the Translympc Games.

They seem to be clamping down in trans athletes partaking in sports where they have an unfair advantage. It's long overdue. They should have always had a separate category.

Messing with the hormones of kids is probably destructive long term to them too.

I think that the survey you posted is indeed the reality of what most think.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2023, 2:30 am

It's pretty damn clear at this point that it's not about "protecting the children" OR "protecting women's sports", considering the amount of bills being introduced that target trans adults and try to ban gender affirming care for them too.

f**k this nation.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 12:06 pm

colliegrace wrote:
It's pretty damn clear at this point that it's not about "protecting the children" OR "protecting women's sports", considering the amount of bills being introduced that target trans adults and try to ban gender affirming care for them too.

f**k this nation.

:heart: :heart: :heart: