Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 1:54 pm

My trouble is is that I don't research into things. Maybe if I did do things wouldn't have gone this far.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 2:01 pm

babybird wrote:
My trouble is is that I don't research into things. Maybe if I did do things wouldn't have gone this far.

Rule 1: Don't blame yourself.

Rule 2: Blame the people who gave you trauma.
Also kinda lowkey blame the doctors for misdiagnosing you but get over that so you can get better.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 2:05 pm

Yeah I big time blame the abusers. It sometimes feels like the sh*t gift that keeps on giving. Just when I think I've got to the root cause something else crops up.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 2:13 pm

babybird wrote:
Yeah I big time blame the abusers. It sometimes feels like the sh*t gift that keeps on giving. Just when I think I've got to the root cause something else crops up.

Do you watch Crappy Childhood Fairy on YouTube?

She has CPTSD and is one of the only ones I know who "gets" what CPTSD is, or its long reach.

She has all sorts of videos that could help you. Very down to earth.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 2:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
babybird wrote:

Do you watch Crappy Childhood Fairy on YouTube?

She has CPTSD and is one of the only ones I know who "gets" what CPTSD is, or its long reach.

She has all sorts of videos that could help you. Very down to earth.

Never heard of it. But I'll look it up. Thank you.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 2:18 pm

Yes it looks interesting. Just found it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 3:39 pm

*Hugs for Babybird*

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 5:59 pm

This is hard. I have had a similar experience.

I have shared that I had substance abuse issues (addiction to pain killers), my last stint in Rehab they slapped a Bipolar Dx on me after seeing me for two days. The current anti-depressant was not working and they augmented it with Lithium and that DID help. And because it helped, they said "Ahhh, see she's Bipolar!" My thoughts were skeptical, but everything else had failed so 'okay.' Back track to a childhood full of trauma and a diagnosis of ADHD with Ritalin.

Now they KNOW that trauma can mimic so much.

I stayed clean and gave my brain time to heal, got off the Lithium slowly. Felt no differently, didn't act any weirder than I had always been. But little cracks started showing that led the doctors to order a Neurocognitive exam. Bam, ASD. Based on the questions and my answers to the questions, the various other aspects of the tests and those results I found a diagnosis I agreed with. I could see it in my self and my behavior all through out my life.

This is what I learned: Medicine is based in science but the practice of medicine is an art. And so often doctors plug holes instead of getting to why there's a leak. I'm not sure if I read that you were placed on medication, but it's not wrong to wonder what our brains would be like if we'd had an accurate diagnosis all along and could've skipped the changes those medicines made to our brains. If I'd known I had ASD, would I have still become addicted to drugs? The pain killers were a solution for a while, until they weren't.

My heart is sad for you. I'm glad your doctor/therapist is on a track. Trauma work really does work, I hope you get to see the rewards.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 6:07 pm

^ That's f****d up dude and very f*****g sad. Glad you are on the right track now.

I'd hate to guess at the damage all the antipsychotics that didn't help thus didn't need did to me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 6:27 pm

{{{ Persephone }}}

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 8:47 pm

I think we mask so well. I grew up in the 70's, they beat my ass for acting 'out of the ordinary.' So, we watch others and try to learn to act like them in order not to be punished. So, I will say that those of us who can mask don't make it easy to get a proper diagnosis. Still, how could we do any differently? Who wants to get whipped?

I wish there were machines to look at a brain and say, "oh, based on the anatomy we see the patient has X." So much is based off observation and answering questions, the behaviors and answers may be influenced by trauma.

Here's to hoping baby bird gets what she needs to fly BIG.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 8:55 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Here's to hoping baby bird gets what she needs to fly BIG.

Amen to that sister :)