goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 12:37 pm

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 1:51 pm

Doesn't autism come with distinct facial features that's often discussed so much here? Maybe that's what people mean when you don't look autistic, that you don't have a big forehead or wide eyes or whatever the autism facial features are supposed to be.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 2:15 pm

When I had a selfie posted as my avatar once, some people said that since I didn’t look autistic I probably wasn’t. None of those members are here anymore.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 2:20 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
When I had a selfie posted as my avatar once, some people said that since I didn’t look autistic I probably wasn’t. None of those members are here anymore.

I just thought you looked lovely

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 2:31 pm

babybird wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I just thought you looked lovely

Thanks! :heart:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 4:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Doesn't autism come with distinct facial features that's often discussed so much here? Maybe that's what people mean when you don't look autistic, that you don't have a big forehead or wide eyes or whatever the autism facial features are supposed to be.

Thats the opposite of everything Ive ever seen written on WP which is that autistics do NOT have a physical "look" the way that folks with Down's Syndrome do ( or to a lesser extant folks with Williams Syndrome do).

Though autistics may have a "look" in another sense. In "fashion".

For example the chic de regur look for the male aspies is: pocket protectors on shirts, one shirt tail tucked in and one tucked out, and the ultimate aspie male "high fashion" is...plaid shirt WITH plaid pants! :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2023, 4:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Thats the opposite of everything Ive ever seen written on WP which is that autistics do NOT have a physical "look" the way that folks with Down's Syndrome do ( or to a lesser extant folks with Williams Syndrome do).

For example the chic de regur look for the male aspies is: pocket protectors on shirts, one shirt tail tucked in and one tucked out, and the ultimate aspie male "high fashion" is...plaid shirt WITH plaid pants! :lol:

If you look properly, there's thousands of threads made here claiming distinct physical facial/body features in autism, and then some.

https://wrongplanet.net/search-results/ ... &sa=Submit

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 1:08 pm

I thought the differences were the kinds of things you could detect in a movie but not in a still photo.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 1:43 pm

for NTs, you only look autistic if you're constantly stimming and have a plushie or other comfort object, noise-canceling headphones, and sunglasses with you at all times. anything else can be handwaved as 'just quirky'

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 9:01 pm

i certainly dont look autistic

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2023, 11:39 pm

I get told that I don't look autistic all the time. People seem surprised when I tell them that I am. What do they expect me to do? Stim?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 6:50 am

Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

If you look properly, there's thousands of threads made here claiming distinct physical facial/body features in autism, and then some.

https://wrongplanet.net/search-results/ ... &sa=Submit

I havent seen it so much in the last couple of years, but YES...years ago you used to see zillions of posts about autistics having some physical attribute. But usually it would cause a storm of counter posts refuting it, and most of the time for every post that claimed that "autistics are this" there would be a post weeks later claiming that "autistics are that (the exact opposite" ("aspies are big people" -years later you would see "aspies are all wirey shrimps", "fat" with "thin", and so on).

If you remember a post in which someone asserted that "autistics have physical feature X" that garnered a positive response of consensus agreement on WP then....see if you can find it, and repost it please. I cant remember EVER seeing such a conversation thread on WP.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 1:09 pm

Quote:
I havent seen it so much in the last couple of years, but YES...years ago you used to see zillions of posts about autistics having some physical attribute. But usually it would cause a storm of counter posts refuting it, and most of the time for every post that claimed that "autistics are this" there would be a post weeks later claiming that "autistics are that (the exact opposite" ("aspies are big people" -years later you would see "aspies are all wirey shrimps", "fat" with "thin", and so on).

Yes, that has always annoyed me too. But there no doubt will be another thread popping up soon saying about the physical features in autism.
The flat feet, far apart eyes and the ears completely attached to the head have always been the most common "autism physical features" discussed here.

The reason I know autism typically doesn't come with physical features is because A, it is not a chromosome disorder, and B, you can't be diagnosed just by looking at your body. If autism came with all these physical features then autism would be diagnosed at birth.
I think that instead of making up BS physical features to ASD, people with autism should be thankful that we don't look different like people with downs syndrome do.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 3:46 pm

if we collected a dime for every time somebody said that to us, I bet we ( collectively) could pay off the national debt

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:34 pm

The mental gymnastics and seemingly forced denial I saw my sister, my ex-GF and my ex-BFF go through, upon me telling them "I KNOW I am autistic", deserve awards in their own right.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"