Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SandyLife223
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2023, 4:19 am

My mum keeps on making jokes about my weight and keeps on telling me I should exercise. And for some reason, I feel bad about it. My brother said I was fat one time. And my dad once told me I was gonna be a “big fat b***h” once.
Is it normal?

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 5:36 am

I'll be real with you the thing that I don't find normal is the unkind commentary your family is making. Have you told them how these comments make you feel? Also it is normal to gain weight as a teen. It doesn't mean that your body will be stuck that way.

If you want to lose weight then that's fine and ok to work towards. But to do it because of bullying or some idea that you have to be a certain shape to be valid isn't healthy.

SandyLife223
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2023, 6:02 am

Well my mum says she was very thin when she was my age (13) and I had my period when I was 11. And she said she got hers at 14.

Mr.pho
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2023, 10:39 pm

Your mother would say that rather way (probably)
Your brother saying that makes sense
Your father is out of line (I assume baced on context)

Bieng thin / muscular is beneficial over fat

So long as your front to back (stomach) isn't wider than half your shoulder length, your good
Hope this helps :heart:

Dylan the autist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2023, 3:56 pm

SandyLife223 wrote:
My mum keeps on making jokes about my weight and keeps on telling me I should exercise. And for some reason, I feel bad about it. My brother said I was fat one time. And my dad once told me I was gonna be a “big fat b***h” once.
Is it normal?

These comments are not acceptable. Advising you to exercise is good parenting as even if you were the thinnest person alive exercise will always be good for you but insulting you and making you feel in any way insecure is not what parents should do. Their behaviour is not normal, but you being conscious of your appearance absolutely is, wish you all the best,

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 4:43 pm

Don't worry about it. Cycling is fun excercise.

cornpop397
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Nov 2023, 5:45 pm

Look, it doesn't matter what these external forces say, Do you want to be thin? If yes? Hit the gym, eat right, all that fun stuff. If you don't? So be it! Go laissez-faire! Don't let other's perceptions define who you are, all's I'm sayin'

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2023, 8:27 pm

My wife had health issues for decades from being very overweight. Several of those issues together killed her last year.

Karen Carpenter died from starving herself.

Moderation in all things. Eat sensibly, get good exercise. Your precise shape and weight aren't nearly as important as your health.

No one, especially family should be shaming anyone for not being skinny

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................