Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

NickJ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2023, 8:00 am

I am 53 male business executive and father of two college-aged daughters based in NYC.
I started experimenting with psychedelics over the past four years and, in one journey, received a message that I should write a science fiction book. I started writing, and it turned into an exercise of self-exploration. The book is about a neurodiverse team that is orchestrated by a super-intelligent AI system. My research made it clear that I fit the Aspey model. I have embraced the self-diagnosis, and my world seems much clearer now. With this new lens of understanding myself, I am trying to make (or keep) friends while still staying true to my needs.
Looking forward to meeting others that came to this realization later in life.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 1:17 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

If you are still exploring the topic I hope you found these two online resources:
<=>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
<=>- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 1:41 pm

NickJ wrote:
Looking forward to meeting others that came to this realization later in life.

Instead of coming to the realization, I was diagnosed.
Happened in my early 40s and when I went and told family and friends about it the general trend of responses was,
"Well, hmm ... ya know, now that you mention autism, it would explain that, ... and that, ... and that, ... and that, ... and that .... Aw man, too bad nobody saw it earlier."

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2023, 3:48 pm

its never too late! what a difference diagnosis can make for us as older adults! I got diagnosed at age 68, such a relief to finally understand the 67 years before that. Welcome, glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2023, 2:24 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 8:31 am

So you took some psychedelics and became an instant Aspie. I do not think that it works that way.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 1:18 pm

NickJ wrote:
I am 53 male business executive and father of two college-aged daughters based in NYC.

Hello from a fellow New Yorker.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 1:24 pm

jimmy m wrote:
So you took some psychedelics and became an instant Aspie. I do not think that it works that way.

But that's not what he said. He wrote: "My research made it clear that I fit the Aspey model." According to his intro, the psychedelics inspired him to write a science fiction novel involving neurodivergence, but did not (directly, at least) inspire his self-diagnosis.

Note to NickJ: It is highly recommended, though certainly not required for participation here, that you get a formal autism evaluation, from a psychotherapist specifically qualified to do adult autism evaluations, to verify your self-dx, if you have not done this already. Given the nature of your job, it sounds like you can probably afford it.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 2:38 am

Welcome