Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 1:16 pm

Ramaswamy is also transparently making this issue about voting that does not have to be about voting. Let's say I agree with him that 1) not enough Americans believe in [insert American values here], and 2) more people joining the armed forces or emergency services would help them learn those values. There are any number of ways to incentivize people to join the armed forces or emergency services (increased pay, better benefits, guaranteed employment after discharge, etc.) that do not involve disenfranchising tens of millions of people. This is why you know that the entire point is to disenfranchise people statistically less likely to vote Republican--not to benefit the armed services or anything else. If Vivek truly thinks otherwise, then he is just buying his own lies.

"If they aren't voting with me, should they really be voting at all?"

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 4:01 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
There are any number of ways to incentivize people to join the armed forces or emergency services (increased pay, better benefits, guaranteed employment after discharge, etc.) that do not involve disenfranchising tens of millions of people. This is why you know that the entire point is to disenfranchise people statistically less likely to vote Republican--not to benefit the armed services or anything else.

I think the usual way to get people to join the armed forces is to let all other job opportunities in poor areas dwindle until there's nothing else for the inhabitants to do. Much cheaper. Voting rights is barely an incentive to sign your rights away to the military. So yes, it's very likely a politician twisting words again.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 12:42 am

With exceptions for those who work in the military? Sp you have a group who are known to be biased towards one side and this group will be overrepresented as they'll be voting age for a greater percentage of their lives.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 12:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Just typical conservative attempts at reducing the voter pool. They're anti-democracy.

I can just imagine the ghost of George III putting his fingers together and saying "Goood, goood"