Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SandyLife223
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2023, 8:39 am

I’ve been wondering why, as someone who LOVES animation and wants to go to cartoon saloon when I grow up. Anyways back to what I was saying.
So basically, animation has been mocked, ridiculed and ignored by the Oscars for a long time, for example calling an anime film and an Irish animated film “Chinese cartoons” (which is racist, very offensive and stupid considering anime comes from Japan and Ireland ISNT EVEN IN ASIA, coming from an Irish person myself), making a “joke” about how kids always watch animated films and parents have to endure them and even not nominating films (such as loving Vincent, the cartoon saloon films, multiple anime and counting, Les armateurs, etc.) and only nominating films to Disney. It’s obnoxious tbh

magicantian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2023, 9:41 am

I love animation and drawing as well, but the Oscars have been losing credibility fast. They USED to respect animation, before it was sectioned off as a genre of its own. People now understand that the Oscars are just an echo chamber for Hollywood celebrities, and those who actually nominate films don’t even watch all of them. Remember that notorious remark about that one Oscar staff that stated he just chose the animated film his children would like? Yeah.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 10:01 am

I personally blame the Minions for saturating the genre enough for years that Hollywood thinks it's all just kids' stuff.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 10:03 am

Yanks usually see cartoons as being for kids or jokes. The Oscars reflect American movie critics tastes, that's why they're utterly irrelevant.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magicantian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2023, 10:12 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
I personally blame the Minions for saturating the genre enough for years that Hollywood thinks it's all just kids' stuff.

The effects of Minions to western society has been catastrophic I cannot go one day without seeing one of those things. And they are not even cute…

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 10:16 am

The Minions and their consequences have been a disaster for the human race...

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magicantian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2023, 10:35 am

Same goes with a lot of those “”””cute”””” (heavy quotations here) characters that are obviously made for merchandise. Baby Yoda, for example. I do not like that thing. I think Japan has done a really good job however with actually making cute mascots, and that’s coming from someone who is not much of an anime fan.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 6:02 pm

The AMPAS does not hate animation.

Back in March of this year, stop-motion animation finally got some much-deserved respect when Guillermo Del Toro won Best Animated Feature for his Pinocchio film.