Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 4:05 pm

At least 3 civilians dead, 2 cops injured in New Mexico shooting: Police

Quote:
At least three civilians were killed and two officers were hospitalized after a suspect opened fire in Farmington, New Mexico, before officers shot and killed the alleged gunman, police said Monday.

The Farmington Police Department said that there were "multiple civilian victims" of the shooting, but didn't have immediate details about their conditions.

The two officers who were wounded, one from the Farmington Police Department and one from New Mexico State Police, were taken to San Juan Regional Medical Center and listed in stable condition, police said.

Investigators said the suspect's identity was not yet known. There are no other known threats at this time, according to police.

Farmington is located in northern New Mexico, only about 15 miles south of the Colorado border.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 2:36 am

Shooter who killed 3 and injured several others in Farmington, New Mexico, appears to have randomly fired at victims, police say

Quote:
The teenage gunman who killed three people and wounded six others in Farmington, New Mexico, on Monday appeared to target victims randomly and used at least three guns in the attack, including an AR-15-style rifle, police said.

The shooting appears to have been “purely random” as “there were no schools, no churches, no individuals targeted,” Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe said in a video statement Monday night.

The 18-year-old gunman roamed through the neighborhood and “randomly fired at whatever entered his head to shoot at,” including houses and cars, before police arrived and fatally shot him, Hebbe said.

Police have yet to identify the shooter or victims and are expected to hold a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

Among those injured was a New Mexico State Police officer who drove himself to a medical facility and was still hospitalized Monday night, the chief said. A Farmington police officer who was also wounded has since been released from the hospital.

Farmington’s San Juan Regional Medical Center received seven patients, spokesperson Laura Werbner told CNN. She declined to comment on the patients’ conditions.

Investigators are still piecing together details of how the attack unfolded, the chief said, noting the “wide and complex scene” spans over a quarter of a mile.

Authorities are also speaking with the shooter’s family and examining what motive he may have had, Hebbe said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 8:33 pm

New Mexico gunman that killed 3 in 'purely random' shooting identified as 18-year-old Farmington High School student

Quote:
A New Mexico teen was identified by police on Tuesday as the gunman, who killed three senior citizens in a "purely random" attack, before responding officers fatally shot him.

Beau Wilson, 18, was killed by Farmington police who confronted him shortly after 11 a.m. MT on Monday, Deputy Police Chief Kyle Dowdy told reporters.

Wilson was a student at Farmington High School, which was set to hold graduation ceremonies Tuesday.

The three slain women were identified by police as Shirley Voita, 79, Melody Ivie, 73, and Gwendolyn Schofield, 97. Schofield was Ivie's mother

All of the victims appeared to be well known and liked in the tight-knit community in the Four Corners region of New Mexico.

Ivie was a well-respected preschool teacher, according to the one-time lawmaker.

"So it’s a very small town. Everybody knows everybody," Strickler added.

A doorbell camera captured what police believe were Wilson's first shots, fired at 10:56 a.m., a minute before Farmington police officers were dispatched to the neighborhood near Ute Street and Dustin Avenue, according to Dowdy.

The officers arrived at 11:02 a.m. to find Wilson opening fire, before the gunman was brought down at 11:06 a.m., police said.

"The suspect was shot and almost simultaneously as well, an officer was shot," Dowdy said.

And so far police have not been able to make any connection between Wilson the three slain victims.

“It appears to be purely random and had no specific targets or motives that we can identify at this time," Dowdy said.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 3:03 pm

Motive of teen gunman who killed 3 elderly women in a New Mexico neighborhood is still an open question, police say

Quote:
Authorities are still looking into how the shooter came to possess the firearms, which all had been bought legally, Dowdy said. They believe two were owned by a family member of Wilson, who turned 18 in October and purchased the third gun in November, he said.

Some relatives interviewed by law enforcement expressed concerns about Wilson’s mental health, Dowdy said, adding it’s not clear whether he had been diagnosed with any issues. Wilson had only “minor infractions” with law enforcement before the violent attack, the deputy chief said.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 5:28 pm

Interesting that there are no replies to this thread. Same thing just happens over and over again, desensitizing people to the news.

The same things will be said and nothing will change. Thoughts and prayers, we need more guns so there are more good guys with guns, and it's not the easy access to guns At All it's a mental health problem/video games/rap music/whatever other scapegoat. 2A uninfringed well trained militia of gravy seals will protest any sort of gun control measures, too.

Still, it's all too real, tragic, and traumatic for those actually involved. Life shattering & changing moments for sure.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 5:49 am

New Mexico teen who gunned down 3 women struggled after leaving wrestling team, family and team members say

Quote:
Days after a New Mexico 18-year-old gunned down three elderly women in an indiscriminate shooting rampage, police have not yet publicly discussed a motive or revealed why a teenager hours shy from graduation would commit such a horrific crime.

Authorities have said that interviews with his family and a note found in his pocket indicated that the student had mental health issues. Friends and family members who spoke to NBC News about Beau Wilson said the teenager constantly fell behind in classes and struggled to deal with his parents’ ongoing divorce.

One particular point of strife in his life, they said, was leaving his high school’s varsity wrestling team in late February. The exit was due in large part to a strained relationship with his head coach, according to Daxton Allison, one of Wilson’s former teammates, and Brent Stover, a Farmington High School wrestling coach who recently resigned.

Wilson’s mother, Lorry Rodriguez, said her son relied on the team for a sense of purpose and peace as his home and school life crumbled.

“His life was going to practice, and when he didn’t have that, he had nothing,” Rodriguez said. “He didn’t have nothing to work for. That’s all he knew.”

Rodriguez blamed herself for not foreseeing the violence that unfolded. She said she knew Wilson had purchased a firearm, but she hadn’t had any concerns about it.

“How did I not know? I ask myself that,” she said.

A doorbell camera caught Wilson screaming “come and kill me” during the barrage, police said. He was wearing a bulletproof vest that he discarded before officers fatally shot him.

At a news conference Thursday, Farmington Police Chief Steve Hebbe said he believed Wilson, in his final moments, “made a decision that he’s going to stand and fight it out until he’s killed.”

In late February, Allison and Stover said Wilson chose to leave the team on his own because he could no longer stand the pressure from the head coach.

The coach told NBC News that Wilson was not on the team for the last part of the school year due to “disciplinary” reasons, but declined to comment further on those reasons as well as his relationship with Wilson and the claims about their apparent discord.

“What happened between Beau and I stays between Beau and I,” he said.

Farmington Municipal School District spokesperson Roberto Taboada said the district could not discuss if Wilson had possible disciplinary actions or absences. Taboada said school officials had spoken to the head coach, who described to them a “regular relationship with his student-athlete.”

Monday’s onslaught caught the team off guard. While Wilson had previously made remarks about harming himself, he never mentioned wanting to hurt anyone else, Allison and Stover said.

Wilson’s mother said her son was never diagnosed with a mental illness but that he was “shy,” “secluded” and had social anxiety among his peers. She said her son never mentioned to her that he wanted to harm himself.

To his former team members, Wilson’s mental health struggles were often visible, but the teenager didn’t like to share details about his personal life, they said.

“I tried to talk to him about it, but he wouldn’t open up about it,” said 18-year-old Ivan Smith Jr., a former team captain who just graduated.

Stover said he was in such disbelief to hear the news that day that he called Wilson’s phone immediately. “It’s evil, it’s unforgivable,” he said. “But I think it was a suicide by cop.”

Stover said he learned after the shooting that Wilson had reached out to two other teammates at some point before the shooting and was “talking crazy” in those conversations.

Hebbe said his department is serving subpoenas for school records. With no other statements, the police chief said the note found in Wilson's pocket is “about the best we’ve got” to determine a motive.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:06 pm

Young people have always had stresses and pressures, some more than others. But wtf is with so many going homicidal vs. suicidal OR way better yet, finding some healthier coping mechanism that doesn't involve anyone dying ?

I'm gonna say it, USA: It's the hella easy access to guns that damned near everyone has. Feeling low? Impulsive and can't control yourself to get through a rough patch and feel better? Just reach out left or right and chances are you can feel the pistol grip of a gun or two within easy grasp even in the dark because there are like 400,000,000 of them available to pick up and start blasting away with whenever you feel the urge.