Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2023, 8:38 pm

Being fat is a popular problem, but in people with any type of autism it could be even a bigger problem sometimes. Since we tend to have less friends, have less social skills, and tend to suffer from shyness, social isolation, and so on, we also might have a tendency to spend time at home more than outside. Spending time more at home means less physical exercise or tend to spend alot of time on watching TV, playing video games, using a computer, and other such activities. This also can lead to eating more and gaining more weight. So Autism might have an effect on chances of having obesity sometimes. Can you explain if your weight is okay or are you possibly overweight or even obese? For me unfortunately, the answer is yes, I have obesity. My height is about 185 cm and weight is about 102 kg. I'm trying to get down to 90 kg at least right now. It will take some time, but I will get there.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 8:41 pm

The autistic people I know are usually underweight or normal weight, partly because of sensory aversions to certain foods and a lack of EF for cooking complex meals. Many autists have a "same foods" mindset and eat the same simple things daily like a routine or ritual, without having excess money to splurge on restaurants or junk food.

I can't speak for everyone, but that's a pattern I've noticed.

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2023, 8:44 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The autistic people I know are usually underweight or normal weight, partly because of sensory aversions to certain foods and a lack of EF for cooking complex meals. Many autists have a "same foods" mindset and eat the same simple things daily like a routine or ritual, without having excess money to splurge on restaurants or junk food.

I can't speak for everyone, but that's a pattern I've noticed.

Thanks for the reply Isabella.

Yeah, I agree. Autism takes us to a tendency of wanting to have same or similar routines every day, including eating habits. But I think it can vary. And also, remember, being at home more due to social isolation / bad social skills could lead to gaining weight, since you're near the food more and near non physical activities like watching TV. This encourages weight gain, among other things.

Can you share your weight and height with us, or would that be too personal to you?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 9:35 pm

Noam111g wrote:
Can you explain if your weight is okay or are you possibly overweight or even obese?

I became overweight after a set of musculoskeletal, endocrine, and mitochondrial, diseases hit me in my 40s.
Prior to those my weight was within good parameters.
Maybe even a hair on the low side.
So my weight gain has no discernible connection to autism or the prior 40 years of being autistic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 9:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The autistic people I know are usually underweight or normal weight, partly because of sensory aversions to certain foods and a lack of EF for cooking complex meals. Many autists have a "same foods" mindset and eat the same simple things daily like a routine or ritual, without having excess money to splurge on restaurants or junk food. I can't speak for everyone, but that's a pattern I've noticed.
This is the pattern I have noticed among people who have admitted being on the spectrum, as well as those whom I only suspect as being on the spectrum.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 5:07 am

I was underweight until a doctor in hospital had me take Seroquel (quetiapine) "for sleep". It had a number of effects but most notable was weight gain. I gained so much weight. I was at 54kgs and went to 90kgs in what was a little more than six months. Every time I look in the mirror, I get a shock because of how fat I've become. Deep down I still feel slim.

On the medication front, I take haloperidol and lithium which are not helping me lose weight. I try to keep fit and active but I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which causes a lot of pain. I have discovered, though, that being active doesn't make any difference in how I feel compared to resting. So I may as well stay active.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 5:13 am

I'm starting to feel like Weird Al parodying Michael Jackson. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 5:21 am

I used to always be really thin despite eating a lot, but when I hit my mid-20s I started gaining weight and got quite fat for the first time in my life and I had to introduce myself to dieting. I don't really like exercising and I don't walk out much because of agoraphobia. I used to walk to work and my job is very active (mopping 30+ buses and carrying heavy buckets of water about sounds more than it is) but I still wasn't losing any weight, so I became despondent of exercising and just stuck to dieting instead, and that way I lost nearly 2 stone in 2 months. But I have to keep at the diet for the rest of my life otherwise I will put it all back on again.

Coming from a thin family I always thought thinness would be part of my biological/physical structure but I was wrong. Maybe being on Sertraline slows my metabolism down, as I did start putting on the pounds when I first started taking Sertraline.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 6:03 am

I see quite a range when it comes to people on the spectrum and weight. I know a lot who are overweight. Some have trouble recognizing feelings of fullness.

I suspect that we have similar issues with obesity as the general population. It could be that fewer of us are at an ideal weight and are more likely to be under or overweight.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 6:06 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
It could be that fewer of us are at an ideal weight and are more likely to be under or overweight.

I would anticipate this. Some of us have issues that are more likely to lead to weight gain (high calorie same-food, for example). Some will be the opposite end (don't notice being hungry, limited diet, etc).

There's also likely to be people who are poorly nourished but average weight due to restricted diets (and other issues) as well.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2023, 9:38 am

I'm 5 ft 11 inches (180 cm). At age 69 I am 175 lbs (79kg). 4 years ago (age 65) I was 306 lbs (139 kg). I was worse than fat. I was morbidly obese (it's a real medical term).

I think my autism affects my ability to regulate things in my body. Things like circadian rhythm, sleep, metabolism, mood and emotions.

I often had trouble recognizing when I was hungry and would wait too long to eat and then I would over eat.
And I wasn't exercising. I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was eating and got into a habit of eating easy fast food (burgers, pizza). That'll do it.

I now am on the Mediterranean diet (mostly plants) and my autism actually helps with that because I eat the same thing every day but it's all healthy food. I create routines and habits out of making the meals in advance so there's always something healthy to eat in the house.

I know they say the Mediterranean diet isn't very restrictive, but I need to make it restrictive so I can keep it the same every day. I think that helps my body regulate things and keep me stable (so I'm less likely to backslide on the diet). I can't be adventurous with my diet. It's risky.

I'm trying to take advantage of my autism and use it keep me in healthy routines.

Last edited by neilinmich on 16 May 2023, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 9:42 am

Noam111g wrote:
Being fat is a popular problem, but in people with any type of autism it could be even a bigger problem sometimes. Since we tend to have less friends, have less social skills, and tend to suffer from shyness, social isolation, and so on, we also might have a tendency to spend time at home more than outside. Spending time more at home means less physical exercise or tend to spend alot of time on watching TV, playing video games, using a computer, and other such activities. This also can lead to eating more and gaining more weight. So Autism might have an effect on chances of having obesity sometimes. Can you explain if your weight is okay or are you possibly overweight or even obese? For me unfortunately, the answer is yes, I have obesity. My height is about 185 cm and weight is about 102 kg. I'm trying to get down to 90 kg at least right now. It will take some time, but I will get there.
You can do it. Little changes that won't overwhelm you can add up to big results. You got this!

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 9:46 am

renaeden wrote:
I was underweight until a doctor in hospital had me take Seroquel (quetiapine) "for sleep". It had a number of effects but most notable was weight gain. I gained so much weight. I was at 54kgs and went to 90kgs in what was a little more than six months. Every time I look in the mirror, I get a shock because of how fat I've become. Deep down I still feel slim.

I lost over 15 lb in April from stress related to a family crisis. I couldn't eat. I wasn't sleeping either so my doctor put me on low-dose Seroquel for sleep. It didn't work. I still only slept about 4 hours most days and I didn't start eating but somehow I gained 6 lb back in just over a week for no reason. I quit that shite! Since quitting on Friday I've already dropped the weight again.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 10:17 am

I think it goes both ways. We can also tend to forget to eat for prolonged periods of time as well. Not to mention how difficult it has become to know what we should and shouldn't be eating because of the way that food has been engineered to be as addictive as possible in many cases.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 10:19 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
renaeden wrote:

I lost over 15 lb in April from stress related to a family crisis. I couldn't eat. I wasn't sleeping either so my doctor put me on low-dose Seroquel for sleep. It didn't work. I still only slept about 4 hours most days and I didn't start eating but somehow I gained 6 lb back in just over a week for no reason. I quit that shite! Since quitting on Friday I've already dropped the weight again.

Ouch, I personally lost around 20# one time due to a stomach infection. I barely was hungry that month and it wasn't until I realized that this stomach thing has been keeping me to a cup or so of yogurt a day for nearly a month that I went to the doctor.

I doubt that this would be a thing for non-autistic people without some sort of an eating disorder as it was driven entirely by a lack of awareness of how long it was going on and a normally weak appetite.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 10:21 am

I lived on ice cream for about a month as it's all I could stomach.
Now I've graduated to popcorn but I don't even enjoy it.