Do/did you get special treatment in school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

doloras
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2007, 10:06 pm

I skipped a grade in primary (elementary in American terms) school and another two in high school. I was in university at 15. It was either that or expell me for continually hitting and abusing people.

As far as my behavioural problems went, they kept sending me to shrinks, none of whom had a clue what was wrong with me (let's just say that, apart from my brain, puberty was not kind fo me), and who only taught me to lie convincingly. An example: one shrink had the bright idea that they could learn more about my brain by making me draw pictures of what had happened instead of explaining it. But I hate drawing, and I particularly hate drawing faces. So it was pain and humiliation. Eventually I learnt to pretend to be normal for an hour at a time in the shrink's office just so they'd get me out of there.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 10:19 pm

I'll admit, I abuse the ignorance of my lecturers. I use being an Aspie as an excuse for getting away with just about anything :P
Also, I got a load of free computer equipment when I came to Uni. Just as well, because I freak out if I get the feeling someone else is watching me while I work.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 11:06 pm

Sometimes, barely even realizing I did it, I did taht too, in grade 9 and 10... people would give me marks for effort. I was very lazy (depressed... whatever, what's the diff?) and it was much easier to just pretend to be working really hard but unable to do it due to some learning difficulty, so they gave me marks for effort. :D

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Aug 2007, 11:53 pm

I did not, in any way get special treatment.
I was mainstreamed through all of my school years. I did not know about my AS until after I had left school, but even if I did know that I have it when I was attending school, I wouldn't have wanted special treatment.
All I wanted while I was at school was to "Be like everyone else". Those were my exact words when I was 11 years old. And getting special treatment would have made me feel like more of an outcast, even if it did help me.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2007, 5:54 am

Nope.

The high school didn't care that I failed...everything, all they cared for was my parents' money (I stayed home every other day too). Incidentally, I've taught myself everything I know outside of organized schooling -- dead science fiction authors were my teachers.

I was diagnosed with autistic disorder a month ago.