Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 7:23 am

She's 10, has autism, and she's just finished her 5th book

Quote:
Aside from having the coolest pen name on the planet, author Porsche Ray has already ticked a lot of boxes.

She's just completed her fifth book in a series centred around Melinda, a young girl with autism. Porsche Ray is also a young girl with autism and she's only 10 years old.

"It all started out when I saw my mom writing a book and then I got interested. I asked if I could write a book and she said, 'Yes, open a new one and we started writing," Ray told The Homestretch in a Tuesday interview.

"She is about 11 or 12 and she has autism, like me, and she goes on a lot of adventures," Ray said of her protagonist.

When she first found out about her talking fish, her whole life had changed."

Wait, what? There's a talking fish?

"His name is Teensie," Ray explained.

"He's a goldfish. It all started out when he got struck by lighting. He started talking to himself but he didn't realize he was the one talking. He thought someone else had snuck into his tank."

But it's not all fun and games.

"I wanted people to learn how it feels to have autism so they would understand my worlds better," Ray said.

Fresh off the publication of her fifth book, Melinda and Her Father Go Scuba Diving, Ray says she's aiming for more than 20 in the series. Each book takes about three or four months to complete.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman