Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 7:50 am

Here is Josh Hawley's piece: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/america ... cmp=tw_fnc

And, a rebuttal from Jezebel: https://jezebel.com/josh-hawley-explain ... 1850442527

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 9:05 am

I wonder what "Bible" Mr. Hawley is reading, anyway?

Jesus Christ wrote:

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

If he's looking for an ancient text that approximates his concept of "masculinity", then Mr. Hawley might consider promoting the Analects of Confucius.

https://chinatxt.sitehost.iu.edu/Analec ... _(Eno-2015).pdf

The Bible doesn't come close at all.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 4:48 am

Hawley's Biblical basis for a manhood revolving around conquest and violence seems very Old Testament, with no mention of Christ in the New Testament calling on all believers to love their neighbor and to turn the other cheek. I guess Christ is just too much of a sissy for him!

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:44 pm

It is another male-bashing piece. It would be politically incorrect to bash women for any of the world's supposed problems.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 5:23 pm

https://apnews.com/article/census-demog ... oon%20Wire

Quote:

...America’s two largest age groups propelled the changes: more baby boomers turning 65 or older and millennials who became adults or pushed further into their 20s and early 30s. Also, fewer children were born between 2010 and 2020, according to numbers from the once-a-decade head count of every U.S. resident. The decline stems from women delaying having babies until later in life, in many cases to focus on education and careers, according to experts, who noted that birth rates never recovered following the Great Recession of 2007-2009.

“In the short run, the crisis of work-family balance, the lack of affordable child care, stresses associated with health care, housing, and employment stability, all put a damper on birth rates by increasing uncertainty and making it harder to decide to have and raise children,”...

There! We can bash women for delaying having babies and focusing on education and careers! A "Femininity Crisis!"

(for those who are satire-impaired, my comment was intended as satire)

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 7:59 pm

A philosopher on what went wrong with Feminism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSeJj_g ... hyInsights

Well, the world has changed.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 8:22 pm

^ I'm not really seeing "What Went Wrong with Feminism." The title is rather click-baity. Feminism is not about "suppressing men" according to most feminists, including myself.

Feminism is:

Quote:
belief in and advocacy of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes expressed especially through organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 5:00 am

Leaving my comment here before this thread gets locked :D

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2023, 6:45 am

^Does that count as a comment? :wink:

No reason to lock THIS thread; at least not yet! 8)

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 9:00 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
^ I'm not really seeing "What Went Wrong with Feminism." The title is rather click-baity. Feminism is not about "suppressing men" according to most feminists, including myself.

I don't think that she is talking about "suppressing men", but rather that, in the modern world, women have given up female spaces, and become weaker.

I think that it speaks more to modern society than it does any specific ideology.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 9:21 am

Honey69 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I don't think that she is talking about "suppressing men", but rather that, in the modern world, women have given up female spaces, and become weaker.

I think that it speaks more to modern society than it does any specific ideology.

She mentioned suppressing men in relation to feminism at 1:09.

Anyway, I'm uncertain about her other premises as well. Being physically weaker doesn't necessarily make someone less powerful, especially in modern society. IMO, men and women need to continue to break down barriers and traditional gender roles rather than have separate, designated spaces. I was often in the kitchen with generations of other women as I was growing up, gossiping about who was currently fornicating, while the guys were watching football and conversing monosyllabically in the living room.

I typically wanted to be in my bedroom, but it wasn't usually an option Those potatoes weren't just going to peel themselves.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 9:56 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
IMO, men and women need to continue to break down barriers and traditional gender roles rather than have separate, designated spaces.

Possibly so. But, some people miss the separate, designated places.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I was often in the kitchen with generations of other women as I was growing up, gossiping about who was currently fornicating, while the guys were watching football and conversing monosyllabically in the living room.

I typically wanted to be in my bedroom, but it wasn't usually an option Those potatoes weren't just going to peel themselves.

I suppose that a woman could sit with the men and grunt along with them, while peeling potatoes, and miss out on the gossip. But, you know, when you leave the women's area, then you are vulnerable to becoming the target of gossip.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 10:11 am

Honey69 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
IMO, men and women need to continue to break down barriers and traditional gender roles rather than have separate, designated spaces.

Possibly so. But, some people miss the separate, designated places.
People are often nostalgic for the past. Sometimes they remember things differently from how it actually was. Overall, I think things are continuing to get better for women aside from the setback with Roe vs. Wade.

Quote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I was often in the kitchen with generations of other women as I was growing up, gossiping about who was currently fornicating, while the guys were watching football and conversing monosyllabically in the living room.

I suppose that a woman could sit with the men and grunt along with them, while peeling potatoes, and miss out on the gossip. But, you know, when you leave the women's area, then you are vulnerable to becoming the target of gossip.
Yep, that's true! I would've been invading the male space. Also, I detest football - not enough sequins. While peeling potatoes, I usually kept up a steady stream of snark in my head. :skull:

My brother didn't like football, either, but he stuck with the guys.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:39 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
People are often nostalgic for the past. Sometimes they remember things differently from how it actually was.

That seems to be what Josh Hawley et al. are about. Nostalgia.

Twilightprincess wrote:
Overall, I think things are continuing to get better for women aside from the setback with Roe vs. Wade.

I don't know. I'm thinking that the Roe vs. Wade setback was only the beginning. And, ironically, it is women in power who are pushing strongly against abortion, etc.

Quote:
My brother didn't like football, either, but he stuck with the guys.

I also detest football, and boxing. I thought that the old time wrestling was fun, because they were just play-acting and not hurting each other.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:43 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Overall, I think things are continuing to get better for women aside from the setback with Roe vs. Wade.

I don't know. I'm thinking that the Roe vs. Wade setback was only the beginning. And, ironically, it is women in power who are pushing strongly against abortion, etc.

I'm trying to be positive, I guess. Progress is not usually linear. There are typically peaks and valleys, but I think the overall trend will continue being upwards. Time will tell, though.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 1:31 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I'm trying to be positive, I guess. Progress is not usually linear. There are typically peaks and valleys, but I think the overall trend will continue being upwards. Time will tell, though.

One step forward, two steps back, seems to be the pattern.