Why are job descriptions so dramatic?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 8:25 am

It's bizarre.

'The right candidate with be willing to stick their neck out for this company. It's a position which is not for the faint of heart. You will be resilient and go above and beyond!'

... Isn't this job in IT support? Why would I be sticking my neck out for your company? What exactly is going on in your office?

Some places seem to describe their job opening as if you're about to sign up for the Hunger Games. :lol:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 2:04 pm

Lol so true! Also most of the time they are not even paying you much and they want you to have 99846 years of experience and excellent communication skills and management of stress.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 2:48 pm

I think that's discrimination against well-abled people who will be a good employee in their company but lack self-confidence (and lacking self-confidence shouldn't affect someone in the workplace but these dramatic job descriptions is enough to deter those who do lack self-confidence).

My job is the most laid-back, Aspie/ADHD-friendly job you could wish for, but even in the job description for that it said you must have excellent communication skills. For me communication skills aren't an issue among colleagues, it only becomes an issue when dealing with the public, which I don't do, but even if I did have weak communication skills with colleagues I'd still be able to do this job effectively, as it does not require excellent communication skills at all.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 2:53 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
It's bizarre. 'The right candidate with be willing to stick their neck out for this company.

I'd be tempted to apply as a giraffe.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 2:56 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
It's bizarre.

'The right candidate with be willing to stick their neck out for this company. It's a position which is not for the faint of heart. You will be resilient and go above and beyond!'

... Isn't this job in IT support? Why would I be sticking my neck out for your company? What exactly is going on in your office?

Some places seem to describe their job opening as if you're about to sign up for the Hunger Games. :lol:

Translation: "we won't pay enough, you'll work too much. and at the first sign of trouble you will be the one we blame for anything and everything, so you'd really have to be stupid to take the job."

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 2:57 pm

I Googled Dramatic job description and Google offered,
https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice ... escription

Quote:
Dramatherapist: job description
Dramatherapists perform controlled sessions where theatre and drama-based activities are used to observe and explore the behaviour, attitudes and emotions of individuals experiencing physical, psychological, emotional or mental health problems.

Which in some sort of irony had quite non-dramatic job description language.

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

22 May 2023, 3:46 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:

It's incredibly common for so many job adverts these days. They all sound like they want alpha type extroverts who will put in '1000% effort' and work all the hours for the company, regardless of the actual type of person really required for that job, or what that job is.

They seem to apply phrases like that to sales jobs (OK) all the way through to librarians (ummm no..)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 5:25 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
1. To attract people who enjoy drama.

2. To attract confident people who believe they can meet and exceed the challenge.

3. To weed out people who lack confidence, and who are likely to quit after just one day on the job.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
1. To attract people who enjoy drama.

2. To attract confident people who believe they can meet and exceed the challenge.

3. To weed out people who lack confidence, and who are likely to quit after just one day on the job.

Whilst I understand that's the aim, I think since many job descriptions sound the same it comes across as trite and awkwardly forced.

You want a confident employee? Great. Who doesn't? Now could you get to the actual part about the responsibilities in this role? It just irks me a little when I scroll down to the requirements part and there's some nonsense such as courage there. Put that in the opening. Better yet, skip the nonsense entirely.

Dear HR, you and I both know this whole thing is a farce. Am I an outgoing, bubbly, enthusiastic person full of courage who thrives in a quick paced environment? No.

In reality, whilst I am a friendly person, I wouldn't describe myself as bubbly. Nor am I enthusiastic. I certainly care about things. However, I think I lack the right voice for enthusiasm. My voice comes across as calm and easygoing, which can give the impression of confidence, but the downside is that it can seem like I don't care when I actually do care. Attempting to sound enthusiastic in the expected manner tends to come across as sarcastic if I'm not careful.

Despite this, of course I'll say yes to such questions. That's what you do to get ahead in this world. Which makes the whole thing rather pointless.

/rant over.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2023, 11:17 pm

I've seen job descriptions like that which always have something hostile at the end and don't post the compensation range. Immediate red flag, don't apply if you have work experience or have not been out of the work force for a long time.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2023, 11:57 am

Yep. The more phrases in the job ad that don't say what the actual work is, the worse it's going to be and the more money you should be asking for.

These (and others) include:

- attempts to make you feel certain ways about the job, the management, the working environment, the company, etc

- more description of the company than the job (hint: no-one gives a s**t what the company likes to brag about itself, or its marketing), particularly if the description of the company comes before the description of the job in the ad

- buzzwords, particularly those which have very imprecise and ambiguous meanings

- using 20 words to say something that 2 words would accomplish, just to make the job ad seem bigger and more impressive

- a description of tasks which includes many that should be paid at higher rates than the job title suggests, and would usually be done by a different person entirely

- lavish and overly long descriptions of the apparently benefits or perks of the job, which are all minor or unappealing

- a complete lack of indication of the salary or wage rate

- a salary "range" which varies any more than ten percent (and always assume that only the bottom of the range will ever be offered to a candidate)

- if online, a link to an application portal which requires the creation of an account just to apply for a job

Can you think of any others?