Do you get along best with other ND people?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2023, 5:46 pm

Everyone I've clicked with in my life seems to be neurodivergent in some capacity. My partner of over ten years is autistic, and also adhd. My other friend aside from my partner is adhd (and questioning if she's also autistic). My childhood best friend of ten years had severe obsessive compulsive disorder

Is your experience similar? I think in my case it makes it easier to be myself around people when they also have something "off" about them

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 6:00 pm

Sometimes, yes...other times no. Sometimes it can be even more irritating.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 6:35 pm

My boyfriend is NT. But friendship-wise I attract ND men or women, while sexually I attract NT men.

Most of my friends are ND. Not that I have many friends.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2023, 6:45 pm

There are ND people I'm more at ease with because I don't have to monitor my social cues so much.

There are ND people I'm about the same as everyone else with because their way of communicating isn't necessarily similar to mine.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 1:39 am

Don’t get along with anyone

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 4:25 am

I get along well with other autistic people since i make them feel at ease to be themselves. I also feel relaxed with them.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 5:06 am

Most people I get on well with would qualify, at minimum, as eccentric, geeky, peculiar, etc. Mainstream people either bore or annoy me, and I them.

purplepuffin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 May 2023, 7:19 am

Absolutely. My long time friends I found out one is autistic recently and I suspect the other is ADHD (she has a diagnosed ADHD son, the autistic friend is her twin brother and she shows all the signs). Another newer friend is OCD. I get on well with everyone in my local autistic adults meetup. And my partner just found out his sister was diagnosed autistic a few years ago and his mum thinks she is as well, so he could easily be. His uncle (his mother's brother) probably is, one of his cousins probably is, another cousin is probably ADHD, and the youngest cousin is diagnosed ADHD (was very hyperactive). I don't think a single person I'm friends with (where it is beyond being acquaintances and I know they actually want to spend time with me not just make nice conversation at mutual activities), is NT. I feel happy there is a reason I can't seem to make friends with 95% of the population but can make friends (if I want to) reasonably easily with the remainder. It isn't because I suck or I'm a terrible person or something.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 9:26 am

Most of the people I have gotten on well with in life have been dx'd with something or other. I think I get on best with adhd folk. Not sure why, but I've been friends with/in relationships with a lot of people dx'd with that in particular. I've also had no shortages of people in my life who are/were dx'd with gad, depression, ptsd, and ocd. Bipolar and borderline in there to, but not as much as the others.

Honestly, people with no dx seem more than a little unrelatable to me.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 11:08 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
Most of the people I have gotten on well with in life have been dx'd with something or other. I think I get on best with adhd folk. Not sure why, but I've been friends with/in relationships with a lot of people dx'd with that in particular. I've also had no shortages of people in my life who are/were dx'd with gad, depression, ptsd, and ocd. Bipolar and borderline in there to, but not as much as the others.

Honestly, people with no dx seem more than a little unrelatable to me.

Interesting. My girlfriend is ADHD, so we have that in common. I don't tend to get on well for long with bipolar people. I need to be able to rely on partners and friends and don't respond well to being let down.

TheOutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2023, 4:03 pm

I was diagnosed autistic a couple of years ago and I thought that I would get along better with other autistics. As it turns out, since autism comes with deficits in social communication, I have a much more difficult time socially with other autistics. The easiest friendships I've had over the years were with assertive Neurotypicals.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2023, 11:55 pm

I'm non-ASD, but ND and find that who I get along with is a mixed bag, probably closer to ND/NTs who have had it rough in life.

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2023, 12:08 am

Not really. I tend to get dispised, ostracized, or ridiculed around NTs. So I ignore them, do my job and go about my business.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:43 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
Do you get along best with other ND people?
I get along best with people who are secure in themselves without having to assault, insult, and oppress others for it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:54 am

I'm not comfortable with fully NT people who don't have any mental health issues or neurodivergent traits at all.

I don't know anyone who is autistic in real life except for my family, although I know people who would be called ND for other reasons.

Most people I know are somewhere in the middle of NT and ND. They might have ADHD or Depression, Anxiety, and OCD.

I guess what I'm saying is I get along best with people who are "broken" a bit, and not perfect.

In terms of online friendships I have a lot of autistic friends, but also a few who are NT.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 4:01 am

I'm more comfortable with NDs.
NDs are less likely to judge me therefore being more open to them.

NTs who have issues maybe I mind them less.

Able bodied NTs, unless having to navigate them or make them throughly know me -- likely will.

Hm.
:twisted: I wanna shatter the bubble of the able bodied NTs without psych issues.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.