Veteran

19 May 2023, 8:50 am

Sometimes trouble falling and staying asleep

Even when sleep good, still exhausted all day long

Trying to improve diet. But emotional overeating. So failing

Most people just seem way more energetic than me

Zero "friends", zero children, single, parents dead

Zero hobbies

Just a minimum wage slave labor "job". Angry and annoying, day laborers, customers and slaves.

Officially diagnosed clinical depression and autism

Not interested in anything or anyone

Not good at anything

40 nothing accomplished

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 9:57 am

That definitely sounds like depression. Honestly, if I were you, I'd select one thing to focus on improving beyond whatever mental health help you can get.

Depression is a sign that we need to be taking some sort of action. Unfortunately, sometimes, it is strong enough that it does require help and sticks around too long.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 10:24 am

I have the same issue. I've never really felt refreshed after sleep in my life. I have very serious insomnia but even if they knock me out on drugs I wake up feeling just as drained as when I went to bed. I went for two clinical sleep studies which were interesting. They determined my brain stays so hyperalert I don't get to Delta Wave sleep which is the deepest stage after REM. It's the restorative stage where your body is supposed to heal and rejuvenate. Somehow they could tell that I don't get there and never have (no idea how they knew I never have?) They also said I have a lot of sleep disorders including one where my muscles don't shut down like they're supposed to, which means I thrash around a lot and even act out my dreams. That uses more of my energy, which isn't restored by sleep. Apparently I have a bit of apnea meaning I don't get proper oxygen so I'm supposed to use a CPAP but I flipped out from trying it because of sensory reasons. They conceded there's more risk involved from me flipping out / not sleeping than if I don't use the CPAP so I literally threw it away. In the end I didn't find any effective treatment or remedy for my horrible sleep, but I guess it helps a bit to understand why it's happening.

Sorry to bombard you with all of that, and it might not be applicable to you but perhaps you have some of the same issues with sleep disorders. I've heard that some sleep lab testing can be done in the comfort of your own home now. I have no idea how that works since I had hundreds of wires and electrodes when I did it, but maybe it's an option if your insurance will cover a sleep test. They're done by Respirologists and you can possibly be referred by your doctor. Your doctor could also run some basic blood tests to see if there's a physical cause for your fatigue. It could be anything from Fibromyalgia to autoimmune problems or cardiovascular stuff.

One thing that helps me during the day to combat that "dead" feeling is a bioactive B-Complex vitamin supplement along with Omega 3 fatty acids (and amphetamines for ADHD lol). The vitamins really do perk me up a little so I'm not catatonic or slumped in a corner, which is about all I was capable of beforehand.

Hang in there, short.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 12:43 pm

I relate to this too. I try to think life as "survival" sometimes when things get too hard. I am mostly always tired, bc of work and burnout

Life is not about accomplishing something, it is about making yourself happy. I hope you can feel happy and content with yourself

albertsamuel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2023, 2:37 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

Trying to improve diet. But emotional overeating. So failing

Zero "friends", zero children, single, parents dead

Zero hobbies

Just a minimum wage slave labor "job". Angry and annoying, day laborers, customers and slaves.

Officially diagnosed clinical depression and autism

Not interested in anything or anyone

Not good at anything

40 nothing accomplished

I think I understand what you are going through. I experienced something similar several years ago. Everybody is different and there is no guarantee that it will work for you, but here is what it was like with me and what helped:

1. I realized that depression is a very serious disease that should not be ignored. Potentially lethal.
2. Fighting depression became my top priority, higher than "accomplishing something". By the way, there are many people who are widely considered to be successful (millionaires, gold olympic medalists, popular actors) and still have depression, so the so called "success" did not save them from the disease.
3. I was caught is a vicious circle. Dark thoughts prevented me from falling asleep. Sleep deprivation made my mood worse, not to mention the sensory issues. Energy levels were very low and made it difficult to get anything done. This was triggering a lot of dark thoughts. I had to break out of this trap.
4. I searched the internet for information about depression - youtube, books etc. and looked for clues how to deal with the issue. The one that I remember was particularily helpful were the videos by Guy Winch.
5. I tried to make it better at least a little bit in every aspect in which I saw room for improvement. Supplementing with vitamins, zinc, Omega-3 etc. ( I don't know if it helped, but surely did no harm, so why not try). Setting my phone and computer to switch colours (filter out blue light) after sunset to help with sleep. Meditation, mindfulness, long walks in the woods - check it out and choose what works best for you.
6. I reviewed my beliefs about what is important in life and what does it actually mean to be successful/accomplished.This one was difficult and took months. Well, I have not quite finished with this one to tell the truth :) But anyway, challenge all these dark toughts like "I am not good at anything". Like this: you are obviously good at starting a valuable discussion on an internet forum. Thus, the sentence "I am not good at anything" is proven to be false. You are welcome.
7. Last but not least: there is one thing I would have done differently if I could go back in time: I would seek professional help with the depression. I got out of it on my own with support from my family, but now I think it could have beed done quicker and with less pain if I saw a psychologist about it. Depression is a very serious disease, but can be cured. Get professional help.

hope this helps

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 4:07 pm

I understand that anti-depressants such as Zoloft are trial-and-error in a respectful sense. And that a “regular” doctor can prescribe them just as well as a psychiatrist.

And the standard advice is, don’t go cold turkey. If it’s time to quit or you decide to quit, phase down relatively slowly.

prolixia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2023, 6:11 pm

Caffeine can inhibit sleep and dramatically reduce sleep quality for some people even when consumed early in the day, leading to greater fatigue in general (which people then tend to counter with more caffeine). It's worth experimenting with cutting it out if you're having problems sleeping at night or experiencing low energy during the day.

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2023, 5:55 pm

I have the same problem.
All people around me seem to be way more energetic.. I don't understand how they manage to do all these activities, hobbies, sports and so on... For me even doing a single task is most of the time phisically and mentally taxing in a way that I usually need to recover from it

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2023, 6:48 pm

My first instinct is not to guess depression. My guess is burnout. They are very different. Don't start taking any meds until you know which one it is.

Wreck It Ralph

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2023, 8:56 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

Addressing only these issues, I can relate to all of them from the time leading up to my first heart attack.  Stents, medications, and exercise brought me back to a semblance of normal.  Maybe getting a complete medical examination would pinpoint the physical causes of your symptoms.

As for the rest of your symptoms . . . they are outside my experience.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2023, 4:47 am

My first impression is low testosterone level or low thyroid functions. I agree a good physical is a first step to rule out many reasons. Your problem could be an easy one to resolve, if it's something like hypothyroidism. Sleep apnea can make you tired all the time, too.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2023, 12:37 pm

Set a consistent bedtime that will allow you about 8 hours of sleep. Stick to it as much as possible.

Do something before bed to power down. Reading, meditation, ASMR, progressive relaxation. Whatever works for your interests and situation and doesn't involve staring at a computer or smartphone screen.

That will be a big start in getting good sleep.