Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 6:31 pm

How many people found a partner on a forum? How can you get one here? I don’t know what to do.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 6:46 pm

TBH, I hired a matchmaker. She's probably also autistic. Edit, my wife, not the matchmaker.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 7:16 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
TBH, I hired a matchmaker. She's probably also autistic. Edit, my wife, not the matchmaker.

Your wife's name is Edit? What's yours, Typo?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2023, 7:52 pm

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:

His wife's name is Edith :D

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 2:03 am

The child should be named Autocorrect.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 8:48 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:

Lol, I should have used a ":" . I hate typing on my phone.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 3:27 pm

At least trying to find SOMEbody on this website here who can be my romantic partner potentially. :roll:

Problem is, I always get this uncomfortable notion that they're going to reject me the VERY moment I say something that will make them uncomfortable, oftentimes without realising it. And that's what worries me. :oops:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 3:56 pm

There’s not that many active users on this forum these days, so finding someone suitable may be an uphill battle.

WP might not be the best place to find a partner, anyway. I’m not saying that it can’t happen, though.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 8:29 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
At least trying to find SOMEbody on this website here who can be my romantic partner potentially. :roll:

Problem is, I always get this uncomfortable notion that they're going to reject me the VERY moment I say something that will make them uncomfortable, oftentimes without realising it. And that's what worries me. :oops:

Every time you push a bit beyond your comfort zone, you at least get some confidence. Which is valuable, even if it's not quite what you're looking for.

I'm not sure that I'd look here, but as a place to look out of the various places out there it's worth interacting. But, between the relatively small amount of activity and the wide geographic area that the forum covers, it's a bit of a needle in the entire ocean. Still, it could happen.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 11:03 am

There are people who have found friends and/or romantic partners here on WP. It's not common, but does happen now and then.

My suggestions on how to increase your odds:

1) Make sure your profile has "Location" filled out. Don't be specific enough to endanger your privacy, but do be specific enough for viewers to know whether it would be convenient to travel to see each other. To that end, you should mention at least your country, and, if you live in a large country, mention your state/province/region and/or nearest major metro area. If you live in a large state, such as "California, USA," it would be good to be at least a LITTLE more specific than that. For example, do you live in northern or southern California?

2) Give yourself a signature line that briefly mentions (a) your hobbies/interests, (b) your pets, if any, and (c) any beliefs/values that are important to you (e.g. your religion, if any).

3) In your posts here on WP, mention occasionally that you are seeking a partner, but don't go on and on about it, as some folks on WP have done (not including anyone in this thread so far, if I remember correctly).

If you have not done so already, I would also suggest that you seek out local adult autism support groups, of both the peer-led and professional-led kinds. You might find some on Meetup.com. These are likelier places to find potential partners than here on WP.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 1:19 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
How many people found a partner on a forum? How can you get one here? I don’t know what to do.

Yeah... I don't know. It's a Risky Business.

Maybe I'm just too scared to even try. I guess it would have to be someone who doesn't make excuses every time you ask them a straightforward question, you want a direct answer. For instance, someone who's answer makes you feel that you need to question yourself. I would say that is a warning sign. If you can dodge that, then maybe you can get something real.

It's rough to start anywhere when you don't know what you are searching for. Maybe you need to Google what are good traits to search for in a partner and then as you speak to people, you will get an idea if you are on the right track.