The Flaws of the Church Building Business Model

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 12:31 am

It has come to my attention that there are quite a few flaws with the notion of having church buildings and located clergy. The vast majority of the church's budget goes to real estate and staff compensation. I think roughly 50 percent of the budget goes towards the building in many churches. Some money may go to the wider denomination as a whole if the church is part of a denomination. Some money goes to office supplies and stuff like that. The church building model does not date to the time of Christ.

I think it came into being whenever Christianity was legalized in the Roman Empire and the former pagan temples became the first church buildings during that time. There have been different funding models for churches throughout Christianity's 2,000 year history. The dominant one is tithes and offerings today in America. Only about 1 to 3 percent of every dollar put in the collection plate at many churches goes towards the poor. Some churches dont even have paid clergy because they believe in the priesthood of all believers.

The Mormon church does not have paid clergy I dont think. I think the people in the individual Mormon churches take turns preaching. Some churches of Christ dont have located preachers either. Those are called the mutual edification churches. There will be a surplus of vacant church real estate in the coming decades. People are devising ways how to put those church buildings to best use.

Some churches are looking for other ways to pay the budget. Many churches take out big mortgages for big church buildings that they dont need and in a economic crisis they default on their loans and the bank will take the building. House churches are starting to be more popular again. House churches were the original way churches were in the first century and it really cuts down on lots of overhead. It is also a lot more efficient than having a bunch of church buildings on every corner.

I am looking forward to hearing yalls thoughts on the current church business model. Also the International Churches of Christ did not have church buildings. They rented theaters and sports arenas and they were able to put a lot of the cost savings into growing their movement. This led to them growing massively in the 90's.Even a few members of the non-institutional churches of Christ dont believe in having church buildings. Some churches are using their buildings in various ways to bring in revenue. For example They will lease out their steeples to Telecom companies and rent out their buildings the rest of the week to another non-profit.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:31 pm

As you pointed out in your post, there are various models.. and most of them I think are disgusting.

FAR too much wealth in real estate, other assets, and gold and other such false idol type material trinkets instead of doing any of the good for people that Jesus preached.

The Catholic Church is hella guilty of all of this. The Vatican is obscenely wealthy for no good reason. Churches in Mexico are adorned in gold w/ gold goblets and crosses and other nonsense while their parishioners tithing 10% of their meagre incomes are living in abject poverty.

Even here in a relatively wealthy and affluent part of the world, a house fire guts someone's home near my grandmother's church and she asks "Where is the church? Where is all the money we've all contributed for our entire lives? Why can't the church help these people with clothing and furniture ?" That was when she was in her 80's and beginning to wise up to the fact that the church she had volunteered at for decades and even taught catechism classes at was perhaps not all that they portray themselves to be. She passed at around 95 years old, and after decades and decades of volunteer services to the church, her funeral service and every line item on it were invoiced to us at full price.

The Mormon Church owns a ridiculous amount of real estate and vehicles in the USA. A member told me over 20 years ago that at that time the Mormon Church had the 2nd or 3rd largest fleet of vehicles in the USA. Only the US government and maybe one of the largest courier companies or the US postal service or something like that owned more vehicles. He thought it was great that they were so successful. He also described how they were strategically buying more land and buildings etc.. and a few years ago there was news about some enormous multi Billion dollar investment fund owned by them.

All of it.. buildings, cars, paper money in investments, golden goblets and trinkets - all stupid. If people want to follow the teachings of an ancient religion, ok cool, follow the teachings.. but there is literally no record of Jesus or Buddha or Mohammed preaching the accumulation of immense amounts of wealth in their names at the expense of treating people well. How exactly any of this got lost in translation is completely beyond me. If there's a Hell, all of the greedy people taking money in religious prophets' names are going there in the afterlife.

Would be much better if people just got together and did their bible studies, prayed, had a sense of community. Could be in their homes, Simple churches, school gymnasiums, outside at the beach or in a park or forest, on a neighbour's boat floating in a lake - whatever. No need for these immense amounts of wealth stored in real estate and other assets when the folks that started these religious movements would have asked that their followers use that wealth to help those that needed it.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 2:11 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
No need for these immense amounts of wealth stored in real estate and other assets when the folks that started these religious movements would have asked that their followers use that wealth to help those that needed it.

True.

So very true.

Those who are born with innate sin nature are innately gonna sin.

I'm pretty sure that megachurches can and should be classed as an error because they draw people away from their neighborhoods to the megachurch & thereby actually separate Christians from their neighborhood.

Instead of one megachurch, a hundred neighborhood churches could/would have more meaning, more reach, more impact, more benefit ...

... assuming ...

... the believers in the church behaved as believers are called to do.

But again ...

... those who are born with innate sin nature are innately gonna sin.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:09 am

goldfish21 wrote:
As you pointed out in your post, there are various models.. and most of them I think are disgusting.

FAR too much wealth in real estate, other assets, and gold and other such false idol type material trinkets instead of doing any of the good for people that Jesus preached.

The Catholic Church is hella guilty of all of this. The Vatican is obscenely wealthy for no good reason. Churches in Mexico are adorned in gold w/ gold goblets and crosses and other nonsense while their parishioners tithing 10% of their meagre incomes are living in abject poverty.

Even here in a relatively wealthy and affluent part of the world, a house fire guts someone's home near my grandmother's church and she asks "Where is the church? Where is all the money we've all contributed for our entire lives? Why can't the church help these people with clothing and furniture ?" That was when she was in her 80's and beginning to wise up to the fact that the church she had volunteered at for decades and even taught catechism classes at was perhaps not all that they portray themselves to be. She passed at around 95 years old, and after decades and decades of volunteer services to the church, her funeral service and every line item on it were invoiced to us at full price.

The Mormon Church owns a ridiculous amount of real estate and vehicles in the USA. A member told me over 20 years ago that at that time the Mormon Church had the 2nd or 3rd largest fleet of vehicles in the USA. Only the US government and maybe one of the largest courier companies or the US postal service or something like that owned more vehicles. He thought it was great that they were so successful. He also described how they were strategically buying more land and buildings etc.. and a few years ago there was news about some enormous multi Billion dollar investment fund owned by them.

All of it.. buildings, cars, paper money in investments, golden goblets and trinkets - all stupid. If people want to follow the teachings of an ancient religion, ok cool, follow the teachings.. but there is literally no record of Jesus or Buddha or Mohammed preaching the accumulation of immense amounts of wealth in their names at the expense of treating people well. How exactly any of this got lost in translation is completely beyond me. If there's a Hell, all of the greedy people taking money in religious prophets' names are going there in the afterlife.

Would be much better if people just got together and did their bible studies, prayed, had a sense of community. Could be in their homes, Simple churches, school gymnasiums, outside at the beach or in a park or forest, on a neighbour's boat floating in a lake - whatever. No need for these immense amounts of wealth stored in real estate and other assets when the folks that started these religious movements would have asked that their followers use that wealth to help those that needed it.

Ya the Mormon church could do so much good for the poor with their 100 Billion dollar tax exempt hedge fund. I bet the Catholic Church is worth at least 1 Trillion dollars in global total assets. I think passing around the plate to pay the utilities of a small country church is different than Mormon church level stuff of course. It could be worse because in Germany the government actually makes people pay taxes to the Catholic Church.I wish the Mormons could lose their tax exemption over hiding 100 billion but that will never happen.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 23 May 2023, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:23 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Ya the Mormon church could do so much good for the poor with their 100 Billion dollar tax exempt hedge fund. I bet the Catholic Church is worth at least 1 Trillion dollars in global total assets. I think passing around the plate to pay the bills of the church is different than Scientology level stuff of course. It could be worse because in Germany people the government actually makes people pay taxes to the Catholic Church.

In Alberta, Canada's Texas and trump country, home owners get a choice of which public schools their school taxes go to fund: Catholic or Protestant.

It's still that way today. While they're not handing money over to the vatican, taxes are going to fund the religious education of children.. indoctrinating them into the religion.

The whole scheme seems a bit dodgy to me.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:27 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Ya the Mormon church could do so much good for the poor with their 100 Billion dollar tax exempt hedge fund. I bet the Catholic Church is worth at least 1 Trillion dollars in global total assets. I think passing around the plate to pay the bills of the church is different than Scientology level stuff of course. It could be worse because in Germany people the government actually makes people pay taxes to the Catholic Church.

In Alberta, Canada's Texas and trump country, home owners get a choice of which public schools their school taxes go to fund: Catholic or Protestant.

It's still that way today. While they're not handing money over to the vatican, taxes are going to fund the religious education of children.. indoctrinating them into the religion.

Ya that is dodgy. Are there different types of protestant public schools or classes in Canada?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:37 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Ya that is dodgy. Are there different types of protestant public schools or classes in Canada?

There must be Catholic and Protestant public schools in Alberta.

That’s not a thing in BC where I live. Public schools are non-religious. The only religious teachings are a little bit about every major religion in the world and field trips to visit multiple places of worship in a day. This was in around grade 9 or 10 I think. But there are no religious based public schools here.

Catholic, and other Christian as well as other religions entirely private schools exist here and people can pay to send their kids there if they want, but they’re not part of the public school system. I’m not sure if they get any sort of tax support for funding or if it’s all tuition. But I do know that taxpayers don’t check a choice of which religious school to fund like they do in Alberta.

No idea about any of the rest of Canada - whether they do that or not.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 6:08 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

That’s not a thing in BC where I live. Public schools are non-religious. The only religious teachings are a little bit about every major religion in the world and field trips to visit multiple places of worship in a day. This was in around grade 9 or 10 I think. But there are no religious based public schools here.

Catholic, and other Christian as well as other religions entirely private schools exist here and people can pay to send their kids there if they want, but they’re not part of the public school system. I’m not sure if they get any sort of tax support for funding or if it’s all tuition. But I do know that taxpayers don’t check a choice of which religious school to fund like they do in Alberta.

Oh okay thats interesting.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 7:13 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Does there have to be protestant public schools in Alberta for each protestant denomination or just generic protestant in Alberta?

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:27 pm

I think in some European countries, the government supports churches through taxes.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 3:02 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Does there have to be protestant public schools in Alberta for each protestant denomination or just generic protestant in Alberta?

No idea. I didn’t know there was more than one, nor care or need to know. And I don’t live in Alberta so don’t know anything about the fine details of their public’s school system.

I’ve visited family in Alberta a couple dozen times and recall one of them mentioning that they get to choose Catholic or Protestant when paying their school taxes which one their money goes to. That’s all I know about it.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

No idea. I didn’t know there was more than one, nor care or need to know. And I don’t live in Alberta so don’t know anything about the fine details of their public’s school system.

I’ve visited family in Alberta a couple dozen times and recall one of them mentioning that they get to choose Catholic or Protestant when paying their school taxes which one their money goes to. That’s all I know about it.

Okay I see.Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 25 May 2023, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:55 pm

Honey69 wrote:
I think in some European countries, the government supports churches through taxes.

Ya its like that in Germany. Also in Germany the Roman Catholic Church owns many of the lots that people's houses are on and rents out the lots to them.