Why is Colorado getting all the smoke?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 12:31 pm

It depends on the wind patterns.

I don't know what part of CO you're in, but if a front is blowing through (usually from NW to SE) any fire from the northern Rockies, the Pacific Northwest, or the Black Hills of South Dakota would affect you.

You would not be affected as much from fires from points south.

Where I live, fires are extremely rare (I live in a coastal area that gets frequent rain). But we did get smoke from a fire in the Yucatan Peninsula, from slash-n-burn agriculture in the area.

Then there were the summers of 2000 and 2011. In the former, there was a wildfire about 30 miles NE of where I live. Not much in the smoke department. In the latter, we got so much smoke from the fires in Bastrop (about 200 miles away) that the sky was almost pitch black in the middle of the day. Plus Houston reached 109 degrees both times (our all time record).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 4:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Alberta is basically sea level. Where you live, Denver, is the "mile high city", where the air is thinner. But has to carry the same amount of soot. So that might make it worse. Mexico City is a mile-and-a-half high, and thats part of why its smog problem is so bad.

CDMX is also surrounded by mountains in all directions, so there's nowhere for the smog to go.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 3:00 am

We've had indoor HEPA air filter/cleaners since the bad wild fires a few years ago and they definitely help. My office has the blue light style to help reduce the spread of COVID. It all does help, and prices start just below $100 for a small room size. Masks for outdoors on smokey days, filters for indoors. Can also get apps on your phone to let you know the air quality rating so you know how much precaution to take.

It's our new world reality, unfortunately. Whatever it takes to keep healthy.