Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 12:23 pm

After a N.J. kindergartner was filmed barricaded behind a gym mat, his mother wants an investigation

Quote:
For months, Allison Welsh wondered why her son, Levi, had suddenly stopped wanting to go to school. He couldn’t sleep, had nightmares, and begged to stay home.

Then, two weeks ago, she was sent a disturbing video recorded by an aide in his special-education classroom at Wedgwood Elementary School in Washington Township in Gloucester County. She recognized the cries of her son, heard from within a folded gym mat, acting as a barricade.

“I can’t breathe. I can’t leave. Let me out,” the kindergartner is heard pleading on the video.

Welsh was horrified and immediately demanded answers from the South Jersey school system. She also began talking with the parents of other special-needs children in the class and heard other troubling allegations of things that had occurred in the classroom.

It appears that the teacher had been using with other children the barricade method known as seclusion, which is an involuntary confinement. The video with Levi showed the teacher and an aide supporting the barricade.

Welsh said her son, who is 6, has trouble self-regulating, cries easily, and has difficulty calming himself down when he becomes agitated. But she said the use of seclusion was not included in her son’s Individual Education Plan, or IEP.

School Superintendent Eric Hibbs declined to comment, citing an active investigation. Wedgwood Principal Charlie Zimmerman didn’t respond to a request for comment. Welsh said parents were told that the teacher, a newcomer, had been removed and was “never going to step back into that school.”

Welsh, a speech pathologist in a neighboring district, said she reported the incident as child abuse to the state Division of Child Protection and Permanency and has spoken with an investigator. A spokesperson for the agency declined comment.

Under a 2018 state law on restraint and seclusion, tactics such as confining students alone in a closed room can only be used with students with disabilities who present an immediate danger to themselves or others. Levi’s mother said the youngster was probably crying because he was hungry or tired.

The nine kindergarteners and first graders in Classroom 14 at Wedgwood began having behavioral problems shortly after a new teacher arrived in January, according to Stacy Garofalo, one of several aides assigned to the classroom. The students have communications disorders and other learning disabilities and most cannot speak.

“Her whole personality was horrible,” Garofalo said. “She was not a kids kind of person.”

The teacher could not be reached for comment.

The teacher came to Wedgwood to replace another teacher in the self-contained classroom that was added this year, Garofalo said. The students were supposed to interact with general education students during lunch, recess and non-academic classes, but parents said that never happened.

The incident involving Levi occurred in March and was recorded by Garofalo on her cell phone. She said she took the video to provide evidence to support her allegations after her earlier complaints were not addressed.

Garofalo said she reached out several times to Zimmerman and notified him about the video. A union representative told her to stop talking about the allegations and that Garofalo would be reprimanded, she said.

“I just got to the point that I couldn’t take it anymore,” said Garofalo, who eventually resigned from the district.

So, she contacted Welsh via Facebook and sent her the videos. Welsh made several Tik Tok posts that went viral. She also began hearing from other parents who shared concerns about the teacher at a school board meeting last week.

One parent said her daughter was left unattended in a soiled diaper, embarrassing the girl in front of her peers. Guistina Canning said her son, who is on the autism spectrum, has been terrified to go to school because of the conduct in the classroom.

It was after she saw the video that Welsh, a mother of three, said she finally began to understand Levi’s reluctance about school. He had told her, “My teacher is mean to me,” but hadn’t been able to give examples.

Before shooting the video, Garofalo, an aide in the district for nearly nine years, began keeping a list of incidents of what she described as the teacher’s aggressive behavior toward students. She reported the incidents to her superiors, and provided The Inquirer with copies of emails she sent.

In one instance, a medically sensitive student was pushed down to her knees. A girl with autism sitting on the floor was jabbed with a foot. A boy had a metal water bottle pressed hard against his forehead, she said.

“I get that some of these kids have behaviors but this is no way that a teacher should be treating them,” she wrote in a February email provided to The Inquirer. “They come to school for safety and security.”

Garofalo said Levi was kept in seclusion for about an hour on several occasions. Welsh said Levi usually can be calmed down by positive reinforcement. He also reponds well to his sister, Chloe, a second-grader in the same school, who has a soothing demeanor, she said.

Now that the teacher is no longer at the school, Welsh said Levi has returned to his old self. On a recent school morning, Levi told his mother that he liked his new teacher. “She’s nice.”

Upon hearing that, Garofalo said everything was worth it. She has landed a job in another district and has no regrets for speaking out.

“I know that I got those kids safe,” she said. “I did my job.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 12:32 pm

I don't know how people think they can get away with this sort of behaviour.

A) You have the risk of formal consequences.
B) You have the risk of encountering a completely bent-out of shape parent who's there to impose informal consequences immediately.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:34 pm

Stacy Garofalo I applaud you.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 1:41 pm

Quote:
Garofalo said she reached out several times to Zimmerman and notified him about the video. A union representative told her to stop talking about the allegations and that Garofalo would be reprimanded, she said.

“I just got to the point that I couldn’t take it anymore,” said Garofalo, who eventually resigned from the district.

So, she contacted Welsh via Facebook and sent her the videos. Welsh made several Tik Tok posts that went viral. She also began hearing from other parents who shared concerns about the teacher at a school board meeting last week.

Garofalo voiced her concerns but was told to stop talking about it?! 8O

I can't even imagine.

She knew others were at risk and the administration would be liable for damages.

What happened to the Zimmerman dude? Why didn't he need to resign instead of her??

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 2:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Quote:

Garofalo voiced her concerns but was told to stop talking about it?! 8O

I can't even imagine.

She knew others were at risk and the administration would be liable for damages.

What happened to the Zimmerman dude? Why didn't he need to resign instead of her??

I can imagine it all too well. Standard Operating Procedure. Cover up instinct is universal - see Catholic Church. Union in bed with management, not uncommon. Three cheers for Garofalo indeed. She is very lucky she was not blacklisted. For every one of these incidents that get exposed, there are many, many that never see the light of day.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 2:59 pm

I was being facetious. ^ :wink:

I've been Garofalo many times in my life, against huge international companies but even matters involving sexual assault or other forms of abuse.

I'm no stranger to systemic collusion and coverups.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2023, 3:32 pm

When I was at school there was a teacher who would put kids on baby reins as a punishment for anything she deemed misbehaving. She taught a mixed class of ages 5-8, so it wasn't unusual to see 8 year old children held back by baby reins for the day. She was a strict, religious woman and not someone who understood children imo - when we rehearsed for school plays and Christmas services she'd make the 5 year olds sit still and be quiet for the whole day while the older kids practiced their parts, even when TAs suggested that the little ones might benefit from something else.

That school was >3 grand a term and it was awful lol. A teacher threw a book at my friend's head for a grammar error and when we told on her the headmistress tried to gaslight us into retracting our statements. Also we wore streaks in our hair on the last day of term and she said we looked like little whores lol. A bunch of 11 year old girls. We never had to pay the full school fees because my mum worked in the nursery, but I always thought it was insane that parents were spending that much for their kids to basically be abused. Especially the kids that got sent over as boarders from Japan and China. What a long way to go to be put on a leash for talking out of turn.

Good for Stacy Garofalo for doing something about it in this case.