Do any of you feel sensitive to extreme temperatures?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2023, 12:29 pm

I realize I only like swimming outdoors when it's really warm outside and the pool is also heated. I also don't like being extremely cold or hot indoors or outdoors. Do any of you feel sensitive to extreme temperatures?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 12:54 pm

I deal very badly with heat, but don't seem to mind cold.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 1:32 pm

catpiecakebutter wrote:
Do any of you feel sensitive to extreme temperatures?

I was conceived and born in the southwest coastal and desert & it seems my body and being is default programmed to be more comfortable in warmer climates.
Was raised mostly on the east coast, primarily in the southeast and midatlantic with a couple 2 year excursions to Rhode Island.
Presently live in the central midwest.

My body was very good at handling heat until ME/CFS and fibromyalgia and neurological autoimmune disease stomped on me in 2005.

Less good with cold, but it was live through-able.

At this point on the calendar my body has bigtime trouble with both cold and heat.

And cold below 50 F, 10 C, has become downright painful.
Short pants leave my legs painful at temperature below 78 F, 25.5 C

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 7:09 pm

Summers are the worst for me, I have Psoriasis, sun can be too strong for me even inside my apartment, I can get sick to my stomach in the heat, in the mornings, I can skip breakfast, cuz my stomach can hurt & I’m not hungry. When I younger, I was in a very extreme cold, I was in a snowstorm on vacation too. Now I don’t like it when it below 45 degrees, I really hate it when it’s in the 30s. I have joint pains, I have Psoriatic Arthritis, I’m taking joint vitamins.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 8:24 pm

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I also don't like being extremely cold or hot indoors or outdoors. Do any of you feel sensitive to extreme temperatures?

I think most people dislike extreme heat and cold. It's nature's way of getting us to avoid unhealthy conditions.

But maybe you meant "sensitive to slightly high and low temperatures?" I'm certainly that. It's only on a good day that there's any ambient temperature at all that isn't too hot or cold for me. I'm continually adjusting my clothing and the indoor heating / air conditioning / fans to minimise my discomfort. Maybe I'm prone to small, inconspicuous bursts of stress that make me too hot while they last. I should probably get a monitor that records pulse rate, oxygen consumption and core temperature and see if I can correlate it with the frustration and fear that I experience. But I've heard it said that people with ASD commonly have impaired temperature control. Mine certainly works - I sweat if I let myself get too hot and shiver if I'm too cold - but whether it works properly on small deviations from the ideal, I don't know. I don't sweat a lot, but that may be because I put a lot of effort into keeping my ambient temperature reasonably acceptable. I hate sweating because it means I'll have to wash more clothes. Sometimes I think most of my activities are about trying to stay comfortable.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 9:55 pm

Right now, the temperature is about 32°C (89°F), with 63% humidity.  Indoors is about 10°C (18°F) cooler.

I thank God for air conditioning!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 10:00 pm

I do very poorly in extreme summer heat. I don't mind the winter cold.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 4:00 am

Perhaps it's because I grew up in warm climates, but I am very tolerant of hot weather. Where I live now it easily gets over 100F in the summer, and I will go out riding my bike. I actually like the feeling of the sun on my arms being hot. I also don't really care about sweating, and it's very humid here. I think that as long as I have shade, ventilation, and water, and I don't have to exert myself or do work, I can put up with quite hot temperatures. Anything below 70F I consider chilly.

The cold I find very hard to deal with. I don't even like being indoors when the A/C is too strong. I carry a sweater on 100F days to wear in stores and restaurants, and on the bus.

I greatly dislike being outside in any temperature below 50F, and anything below 40F is miserable. Yes, you can bundle up, but your nose and face will always be cold, and your hands too if you have to take off your gloves to take out your keys. And all the layers that make it bearable are so uncomfortable, especially if you then have to go inside somewhere. I lived in the US Northeast for over 20 years so it's a familiar experience.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 5:00 am

I can't stay warm even if it is a little cool. That started when my thyroid quit. I routinely use an electric blanket even when it is relatively mild.

About a year and a half ago, I was doing some work outside one evening in about 40 to 45 F weather. After a bit, I went back to the office to get a heavier coat. While there, I checked my temperature. It took about 5 tries before I warmed up enough for the thermometer to register -- it won't register below 90 F. I put on a heavier coat and went back, but for the most part stayed where it was warm.

Hot isn't much of an issue, though as long as it is not too much over 100 F

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:16 pm

I do fine in extreme temps compared to the average person I think. I've spent a lot of time in the Summer Sun over the last several years so have perhaps conditioned myself to tolerate it well. I can continue to do work outside in 35-37C+ heat and spent a week or two working outside in almost no shade doing construction site cleanup during a heat wave 5 or so years ago - steel toes, hardhat etc - I just had to drink around 1L/hour of water. A couple Saturdays ago it was 35C or so and I spent the day landscaping along with 5 other guys.. not too crazy fast paced so it wasn't too hard to just keep going steadily. I've also been in sub zero temps for Winter sports dipping down to -35, -40C/F overnight. Wore a couple layers, no skin exposed, did fine.

The only times I've had a bit more difficulty in very low temps is when I've been Very lean with no bodyfat to help keep warm.

My out of shape twin brother cannot really tolerate the heat at all. No chance he could do any actual real work in the hot sun without heat stroke or vomiting.

I think body composition and conditioning/training are major factors in how well people tolerate extreme temperatures.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 7:55 pm

I mind cold so much because sometimes it hurts.

It's more physical than psychological or related to sensory processing alone.

It's one thing to try and ignore preference and take all discomfort or even associated pain when in sensory processing, it's entirely another trying to ignore physiological symptoms.

My body doesn't regulate well in cold. I don't heat up easily unless I'm sick.

My attempts at trying to be tolerant to cold made me a bit less tolerant to heat. :|

I'm starting to mind heat not for the heat itself, but the physical symptom of sweating and feeling lazier due to my body's attempt to cool itself.

Most common factor in my case is humidity.
I won't do well in either temperatures in high humidity.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Right now, the temperature is about 32°C (89°F), with 63% humidity.  Indoors is about 10°C (18°F) cooler.

I thank God for air conditioning!

I wish I have a very great air conditioner, I have an a/c, but it not too good, I also have two fans in the living room, I have a stand up fan that moves air around. I have fan in bedroom too, it helps alot having a wide floor fan like a fan box. But I need very great fan in the living room, my big fan is a floor fan too, but it doesn’t move. I have Psoriasis, summertime are worse.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 4:46 am

I don't do well with heat. Especially in drier climates. Despite growing up.in a warm area. Ive.spent a lot of time being extremely ill during the summer.time.

I've never had a problem with cold.

I'm much happier.in a cooler more humid climate.with lots of rain.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2023, 8:18 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I deal very badly with heat, but don't seem to mind cold.

I don't care about cold, too. A year ago I was in Moscow and it was -8 degrees. I had a very thick jacket. I didn't feel the cold. But I used my smartphone to take photos from the VDNH (a very big park) and the Red Square. The battery of my smartphone was empty in no time. My smartphone doesn't like cold.

A longer while I ago it was -11 degrees in my city (where I live). No problem with the cold, but there was a lot of snow, which made it difficult to walk. -15 degrees or colder may be a problem. That is really extremely cold. That will irritate me.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2023, 8:20 am

Oh, the degrees in the post above is in Celsius, not in Fahrenheit.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 8:39 am

I struggle with heat, even at moderate temperatures.
I manage cold well.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う