Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 1:47 pm

How much sleep do you need?

How much sleep do you get?

Only working one job, and just part time, 30 hours a week. zero children. zero school, no car. nothing. 40 years old. just a long commute. 15 miles not that far, but the bus and train often come late. yesterday, train stuck on the tracks from 3:45 to 5pm. plenty of pedestrians climbed between train cars, but i did not do that, because sometimes the train suddenly starts. tried to patiently wait for train to move, while sitting at the bus stop, reading a book. 45 minutes later, ended up walking all the way around the train. (if that happened on the way to work, would've been late to work. but whatever. been working there over two and a half years, and still not made redundant. they have an entire "attendance policy" for that.)

thus far, my job has only scheduled me to work within my availability hours. 10am to 5pm, five days a week.

the store is open 6am to 9pm, M-Sa, and 7am-7pm Sunday. openers start work 4am and closers leave work after 11pm. when they take Inventory, or in extreme situations, sometimes they work overnight. Overnight Freight and Overnight Garden regularly work overnight.

been applying for other jobs for over one year. some phone interviews and a couple in person job interviews. zero offers.

but been so exhausted, esp lately. 40 years old, and only getting physically weaker and slower. my house not in an area with a lot of jobs. but areas with a lot of jobs have higher rent.

usually wake up between 5 and 6 am and go to bed between 9 and 10pm. on days off, a nap. nap usually three hours after waking up, or @ 4pm.

it seems like plenty of sleep, but sometimes quality of sleep not good enough. often trouble falling or staying asleep.

sometimes, eating in the middle of the night, then going back to sleep.

work is just too stressful, but plenty of jobs much worse, in every way.

parking lot attendant. pushing carts. loading merchandise. minimum wage, manual labor, any old monkey, menial labor, nonessential job, BS job.

https://www.amazon.com/Bullshit-Jobs-Th ... 150114331X

BA Cognitive Science 2007
AA accounting 2016

overqualified

plenty of jobs had the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant.
long periods of unemployment.

autistic, trans man, clinically depressed, anxiety disorder, constipation,

The store is in the middle of a homeless encampment. The store hires convicted felons. Plenty of sketchy and suspicious looking customers and employees. Feel endangered physically and emotionally.

almost getting hit by cars a couple times a day

off leash dogs, barking

coworkers and customers talk too much and too loud. angry and annoying.

tripping over garbage and potholes

entitled customers demanding i do whatever they want.

rude and disrespectful customers honking @ me.

day laborers calling me "Chino" and "boy". (@ least two cops and plenty of security are always @ work, and the security guards are supposed to keep the day laborers out the parking lot, but sometimes the day laborers still in the parking lot.)

bathroom not enough toilets. sometimes entire bathroom out of order.

plenty of people work two full time jobs, older than me, in bad health. how do they do it?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 2:40 pm

I do pretty well. I get about 7 hours a night.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 2:49 pm

For the last few years I've been getting around 4 hours, but sometimes 3.
That's WITH prescription sleep meds.

My doctor was worried I'm going to have a heart attack from lack of rest.
We've been fiddling around with new meds for a few weeks to see what works.

Now I'm managing to get as much as 5 or 6 some nights, with three meds combined.
It's weird waking up knowing I actually slept long enough for 1 or 2 REM cycles.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 3:05 pm

Do you feel any better for it

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 4:14 pm

I can think in straight lines now, from start to end.
Before I couldn't even stay in the same tangle of thoughts without giving up.