Boomer "gender bender" rockers critisize "gender ideology"

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2023, 8:55 pm

Dee Snider angers trans activists by endorsing Paul Stanley comments

Quote:
The San Francisco Pride festival has dropped Twisted Sister’s ’80s classic “We’re Not Gonna Take It” as the official anthem of its 2023 celebration.

The move came after lead singer Dee Snider endorsed tweets from Kiss member Paul Stanley, who criticized pushing gender ideology on children.

According to KRON4, the festival was about to announce the song of defiance as the festival’s theme and Snider had been set to perform.

“Ultimately SF Pride and Dee have mutually agreed to part ways,” the festival said in a statement, adding that Stanley’s tweet was “transphobic.” It added that the organization was “heartbroken and angry.”

On Sunday, Stanley tweeted out a lengthy statement about the increasingly controversial topic of youths undergoing sex reassignment.

“There is a BIG difference between teaching acceptance and normalizing and even encouraging participation in a lifestyle that confuses young children into questioning their sexual identification as though some sort of game and then parents in some cases allow it.”

Stanley’s tweet continued, “There ARE individuals who as adults may decide reassignment is their needed choice but turning this into a game or parents normalizing it as some sort of natural alternative or believing that because a little boy likes to play dress up in his sister’s clothes or a girl in her brother’s, we should lead them steps further down a path that’s far from the innocence of what they are doing.”

Snider, who is vocal about his left-wing politics and in 2020 blasted anti-maskers for using his hit song in a video, put his stamp of approval on his fellow rocker’s sentiments, adding,

“You know what? There was a time where I ‘felt pretty’ too. Glad my parents didn’t jump to any rash conclusions! Well said, @PaulStanleyLive.”

Both Snider and Stanley, who wore makeup and sported wild long hair in their heyday, were criticized for taking a stance, particularly considering their own flamboyant personas.

“This is a very disappointing take, especially from someone who wore high-heels, makeup & teased up hair his whole career. As a young kid your band helped teach me that I could be whatever I wanted to be. I guess it was just gimmickry after all,” one fan responded to Stanley on Twitter.

But others were more supportive, noting the nuance of their message.

Snider has doubled down on Twitter, responding to critics: “Parents needs to be less reactionary; Right and Left. No need to steer the child in either direction. Let the kid figure it out for themselves knowing their family is supportive.

"Gender bending" back then with exceptions was not done to approve of transvestites/transsexuals, it was done to exploit them. It was show business. The kids enjoyed their parents getting all upset and that sold records. The kids were just as homo/transphobic as their parents. The counterculture was over so another way to shock was needed. It was obvious by their lyrics and presentation they were not trans anything. "Alice" Cooper same deal.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 1:30 pm

More misinformed people who have somehow been led to believe that gender identities Can be sold to people, and that somehow they Are being sold to children. Idiots.

Teaching children that trans people exist != selling them on choosing their own gender, FFS. :roll:

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2023, 10:34 pm

Snider has always been a R. Winger, except for his anti-censorship stuff against Tipper Gore. Bowie or The Sweet ("Ballroom Blitz") would be better options, or even a newer act like Frank Ocean or Big Fredia. Still the the video to "I Wanna Rock" though.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 10:36 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
Snider has always been a R. Winger, except for his anti-censorship stuff against Tipper Gore.

Said no one ever.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 11:02 pm

Alice Cooper Calls Gender-Affirming Care for Trans Kids a ‘Fad,’ Condemns ‘the Whole Woke Thing’

Quote:
While he may be best known as one of the gender-bending faces of the shock rock movement, Alice Cooper revealed that he’s not in favor of real gender-affirming care.

In a new interview with Stereogum, the 75-year-old rock star shared his opinions about best-practice medical care for transgender youth, saying that he was “afraid that it’s also a fad.” Using common anti-trans talking points to elaborate, the star said that he felt children were not mature enough to make major decisions about their gender identity.

“I find it wrong when you’ve got a 6-year-old kid who has no idea. He just wants to play, and you’re confusing him telling him, ‘Yeah, you’re a boy, but you could be a girl if you want to be,'” he said. “I mean, if you identify as a tree … I’m going, ‘Come on! What are we in, a Kurt Vonnegut novel?’ It’s so absurd, that it’s gone now to the point of absurdity.”

Cooper then took aim at “the whole woke thing” at large, claiming that society has taken progressive language too far. “Who’s making the rules?” he asked. “It’s getting to the point now where it’s laughable. If anybody was trying to make a point on this thing, they turned it into a huge comedy. I don’t know one person that agrees with the woke thing.”

The “School’s Out” singer even shared anti-trans rhetoric about access to public bathrooms, claiming that allowing transgender people to use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity would lead to violent crimes. “A guy can walk into a woman’s bathroom at any time and just say, ‘I just feel like I’m a woman today’ and have the time of his life in there,” Cooper said. “He’s just taking advantage of that situation … Somebody’s going to get raped.”

“Ok Boomer” is not a thing anymore, oh well

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 11:16 pm

That sucks, maybe Dee Snider should remember what 'we're not going to take it was about, so basically he just turned into the lame dad in the 'were not gonna take it video.'? blech I am disappointed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 5:57 am

Cosmetics Brand Cuts Ties With Alice Cooper Over His Trans Comments

Quote:
Rock singer Alice Cooper has lost a brand partnership with a cosmetics company over his comments about transgender people, including describing it as a "fad."

The 75-year-old, whose given name is Vincent Damon Furnier, is best known for his signature black eye make-up, gender-bending stage costumes, and spooky props, including fake blood and guillotines.

He was set to team up with Vampyre Cosmetics for a makeup collection named after him, but the company dumped him over comments he made during an interview with the music website Stereogum.

In light of recent statements by Alice Cooper we will no l​​​​​​onger be doing a makeup collaboration. We stand with all members of the LGBTQIA+ community and believe everyone should have access to healthcare. All pre-order sales will be refunded," Vampyre Cosmetics announced on its official Instagram page.

I don’t know about Dee Snider’s general politics but Cooper has always been socially more right then left. His heyday was the early to mid ‘70s, my high school years. He has always talks about his band slaying the peace and love generation. There possibly is some merit to at least bring at the right place at the right time as the hippy movement was well past its peek at and the singer songwriter thing was going on which was often about free love experiments that were not working out. I don’t remember people talking about him as the anti hippie. He always said that he and Nixon being at their height at the same at the same time was not an accident. He proudly lived kind of lifestyle that was associated with Republicans at the time mansions and golf.

He did cause a moral panic among parents at the time which only endeared him to the teeny boppers even more, arguably a preview of the Satanic Panic in the next decade.

His song ‘Only Women Bleed’ has caused mixed reactions over the years. At the time as a balled it was very different from his usual style. It is is not about menstruation a look at the lyrics shows it is a powerful song about a women stuck mentally in an abusive relationship. OTOH the ‘Under my Wheel’ suggests a more sympathetic view of an abuser.

‘I’m Eighteen’ and ‘School’s Out’ are his anthems. Nowadays with all the school massacres the lyrics “School’s been blown to pieces” are chilling. At the time I considered one of those things you often fantasize about but did not really wanted to happen. I hated school for obvious reasons so the song was most certainly an anthem for me at the time. ‘School’s Out’ was blasted on the last day of school before summer vacation.

Today, a half century later the song is still an anthem to me. Every time I hear it it reminds me that those bad old days are long long over. Obviously I understand why transgender people and people who support them have quite different thoughts about Mr. Cooper.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Aug 2023, 7:40 am, edited 7 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 6:31 am

goldfish21 wrote:
More misinformed people who have somehow been led to believe that gender identities Can be sold to people, and that somehow they Are being sold to children. Idiots.

Teaching children that trans people exist != selling them on choosing their own gender, FFS. :roll:
Oh, didn't you know?

Saying the word "transgender" to children will make them transgender . . .
. . . just like saying the word "Jesus" to them will make them Christians.
:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 6:39 am

I don't know why people take any notice of old rich people who have so much money that nothing harms them anymore. They are divorced from reality.

But Alice Cooper...hm...I thought he was a good guy...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 6:22 pm

Who knew that hair metal would turn out to have so many based musicians?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2023, 6:50 pm

KitLily wrote:
I don't know why people take any notice of old rich people who have so much money that nothing harms them anymore. They are divorced from reality.

But Alice Cooper...hm...I thought he was a good guy...

No more mister nice guy.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 5:08 am

The world is really dividing into rich people and poor people isn't it. Two different ways of living and thinking. :?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 6:41 am

Dox47 wrote:

What do you mean "based musicians"?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 8:32 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

I was wondering that too! :lol: Is it meant to be biased?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2023, 6:20 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Based, as in the opposite of cringe. It's a hard word to define to people who aren't used to seeing it used in context, but I'd say "unafraid to speak their minds even if their views are unpopular" would be a fair definition.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2023, 6:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Based, as in the opposite of cringe. It's a hard word to define to people who aren't used to seeing it used in context, but I'd say "unafraid to speak their minds even if their views are unpopular" would be a fair definition.

Ah I see! Thanks. I suppose that also means they are in favour of free speech? Is that part of it?