Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 12:43 pm

Noam111g wrote:
I'm from Israel so I dont know much about the less popular states in the US. Can anyone please explain if there's anything interesting to see or do in states like Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Ohio, Iowa, and so on? The states not many people are excited about.

Colorado is both populous and is chic and popular as a destination. So it doesnt belong on that list. The rest I get what you mean. Ohio is populous but not spoken of with excitement often. The rest are niether popular nor populous. Wyoming ( which on the map looks like Colorado copied and pasted) doesnt get the cachet that Colorado has and is more sparsely populated, and also belongs on your list.

You can check out the chamber of commerce websites of those states to see what local attractions they boast about. Lol!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:05 pm

Been to,
Missouri
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
Iowa
Utah
New Mexico
Arizona
California
Kansas
Georgia
Colorado
Wyoming
Live in Arkansas.
I like my state best.It’s home.
Utah is beautiful, Zion National Park is one of the most spectacular places ever.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:13 pm

I've been to a few states.

California
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
Colorado
Utah
Minnesota
Florida
Oregon
Washington d.c.

I think Oregon is my favorite. Particularly the coastal areas in the north.

I would like to visit the north eastern states.

I think there are lots of things to do in even the less well known states. There are lots of museums and state parks to visit.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:20 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Of the states I've visited, I liked California, Colorado, Georgia, Minnesota and North Carolina the best.

I liked North and South Carolina a lot too, but you can get into some pretty heavy racism there, and they're also prone to hurricane damage.

I guess my runners-up would be East-Coast states like Vermont and Maine. Parts of PA are really nice too.

I wasn't a big fan of DC or Maryland. Baltimore was one of the scariest places I've seen in my life.

California has gone to hell in a hand basket. It's not safe anymore. I used to live there and I still have family there. I don't even know if I would want to visit again.

I wouldn't want to live in USA at all, but if I had to pick I'd chose a northern place near the east or west coast, with abortion rights, gay rights, legal marijuana, and a hard stance against guns or violent crime. Also, none of that BS about banned books at school, or trans-bathroom wars in the media.

Does such a place exist?

Many places in Europe and South America fit your description.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:20 pm

I'd be happy to live on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, or somewhere around Cape Cod (Nauset Beach / Provincetown) for the rest of my life -- if they didn't have hurricanes and guns. I need to be by the sea.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:21 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Of the states I've visited, I liked California, Colorado, Georgia, Minnesota and North Carolina the best.

I liked North and South Carolina a lot too, but you can get into some pretty heavy racism there, and they're also prone to hurricane damage.

I guess my runners-up would be East-Coast states like Vermont and Maine. Parts of PA are really nice too.

I wasn't a big fan of DC or Maryland. Baltimore was one of the scariest places I've seen in my life.

California has gone to hell in a hand basket. It's not safe anymore. I used to live there and I still have family there. I don't even know if I would want to visit again.

I wouldn't want to live in USA at all, but if I had to pick I'd chose a northern place near the east or west coast, with abortion rights, gay rights, legal marijuana, and a hard stance against guns or violent crime. Also, none of that BS about banned books at school, or trans-bathroom wars in the media.

Does such a place exist?

Many places in Europe and South America fit your description.

You forgot Canada. :heart:

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'd be happy to live on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, or somewhere around Cape Cod (Nauset Beach / Provincetown) for the rest of my life -- if they didn't have hurricanes and guns. I need to be by the sea.

Me too. It looks.so beautiful there. Though I've heard it's very expensive area to.live.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:43 pm

Pennsylvania

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 2:53 pm

Winters Gate wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Me too. It looks.so beautiful there. Though I've heard it's very expensive area to.live.

I've been there a few times, and to both islands.
It's truly amazing.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Does such a place exist?

Maryland meets all those criteria except not so far North as you may prefer. But you said you don't like it.

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2023, 6:55 pm

Can everyone please share how you visited or traveled the states, by car or by flights, more? Did you sleep in hotels during your traveling or where?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 7:12 pm

MaxE wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Does such a place exist?

Maryland meets all those criteria except not so far North as you may prefer. But you said you don't like it.

To be fair, my experience of Maryland is that I passed Baltimore during rush hour and construction, in the middle of the summer, on a Friday afternoon, with a Grateful Dead concert rolling into town (meaning lots of bikers), in a car with no air-conditioning, with my husband driving (the one who wouldn't let me change the radio station), and being bumper-to-bumper in gridlock while they were pouring hot tar on the pavement. It was brutal. From what I saw of Baltimore from the freeway it looked to be in ruins and very worn out. There were a bunch of other reasons too but I can't remember. I should look it up. I was writing a list of reasons why I hated Maryland all the way until we crossed the state line.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 7:24 pm

Noam111g wrote:
Can everyone please share how you visited or traveled the states, by car or by flights, more? Did you sleep in hotels during your traveling or where?

My mother's family emigrated from UK to California when she was a teenager, just before she met my dad. She has lots of siblings and most of them chose to stay in US and raise their own families, meaning I have many aunts, uncles, and cousins in California but also several other states (and other countries).

Most of my experience is with California. I first flew there when I was three or four and I've probably been there about 15 times, the most recent being about ten years ago. I lived there for almost two years in high school. My grandparents had other properties in Arizona and Nevada and I had cousins both places, as well as Oregon. I flew to both of those from CA but also drove a few times to Arizona / Nevada from CA. We did hotels and / or family homes.

Another branch of the family is in PA so I've been there a lot too, usually by car but sometimes by plane. Sometimes hotels, sometimes staying with family. They have a place near Atlantic City in NJ so I've been there too.

I drove to Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire (I think it's called New England?) to go mountain biking in the Appalachians. I've also driven to New York and down the eastern seaboard to Florida quite a few times. I've been to Disney several times (in Florida and CA). I've flown to Florida too. My grandfather lived on a boat in Florida but later had a mobile home there.

I drove to Michigan to a hotel. I flew to Nashville to see Art Garfunkel and stayed in an AirBnB. I flew to Dallas once for a family gathering. I can't think which places I'm missing.

Oh! MA! We drove to Cape Cod a few times and stayed at Martha's Vineyard. We also went whale watching from Provincetown. MA is my very favourite place.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 8:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
MaxE wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Does such a place exist?

To be fair, my experience of Maryland is that I passed Baltimore during rush hour and construction, in the middle of the summer, on a Friday afternoon, with a Grateful Dead concert rolling into town (meaning lots of bikers), in a car with no air-conditioning, with my husband driving (the one who wouldn't let me change the radio station), and being bumper-to-bumper in gridlock while they were pouring hot tar on the pavement. It was brutal. From what I saw of Baltimore from the freeway it looked to be in ruins and very worn out. There were a bunch of other reasons too but I can't remember. I should look it up. I was writing a list of reasons why I hated Maryland all the way until we crossed the state line.

A small bit of information for what it's worth.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/5/16/maryland-gun-control-law-is-latest-answer-to-supreme-court-ruling

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 8:37 pm

Baltimore

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 8:41 pm

I was just looking for my little diary from that trip when I wrote about Maryland. I saw it once a few years ago but I can't even picture what the cover looks like and it's not where I thought it was. I hope I can find it one day.