Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2023, 11:47 pm

Its hard to choose, I think the whole country is beautiful. I have visited 3 times total in my entire life. One time in Washington DC, one time NYC, one time in California. It was great to visit and I had alot of fun traveling around there and seeing nice places. When it comes to a favorite state, for me it would probably be Florida for living purposes, but if I had to choose one I enjoyed traveling the most, my favorite state would probably be Washington DC, although its not part of any state it seems(yeah, kinda weird). It was nice seeing the White House from a close distance, although the guards didnt let me get much closer than that. I also liked the restaurants. But other states like Texas, Virginia, Nevada, and so on, are also nice places to visit, but I had to pick only one as a favorite anyways. If you can share your thoughts that'd be nice, thanks.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2023, 11:10 pm

My family is from different parts of the U.S. and I can only stand California.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:26 pm

My favourite is MA.

States I've been to:

Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Kentucky (maybe?)
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:30 pm

Maine might be my favorite. I have good memories from when I vacationed there once. I've been up and down the east coast but have never been out west. I'm sure I would love California, Oregon, and Washington.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:41 pm

I'm not a huge fan of CA because of my cousin. :roll:

I almost chose Maine or Vermont, but nothing beats MA.
Virginia was pretty nice too, for the history.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:53 pm

Was born and lived first several years of my life southern California.
Dad was in the USN so most of my childhood was near seaports.
Went from California to Rhode Island.
Also lived in Virginia 2 different times.
Rhode Island again.
Bounced around between Georgia and South Carolina.
Currently live in Missouri.

Hmm, don't know that I can pin one down as a favorite.

I do like the shorter winters further south of Rhode Island.

You definitely get all 4 seasons here in the central midwest! :D

(see: http://climate.missouri.edu/climate.php)
and dig the following,
"The town of Holt in northwestern Missouri holds the world record for a high-intensity rain, having received 12 inches within a 42-minute period on June 22, 1947."

Although Missouri is a little short on the beaches count, and maybe because of 30 years living here now,
I'm going to say Missouri is my favorite.
Lots of things across the state to see and do.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 12:49 am

If I had the money, I'd consider moving to Tucson, Arizona for retirement.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 7:05 am

Texas

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2023, 9:56 am

I'm from Israel so I dont know much about the less popular states in the US. Can anyone please explain if there's anything interesting to see or do in states like Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Ohio, Iowa, and so on? The states not many people are excited about.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:24 am

Noam111g wrote:
Can anyone please explain if there's anything interesting to see or do in states like Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Ohio, Iowa, and so on? The states not many people are excited about.

Probably the most expedient thing to do on that count is play in Google.
For instance,
use search term,
things to do in ohio
& one result from that, https://ohio.org/things-to-do

As for myself, things I'm interested in already have me knowing 1 category of thing to do in Ohio, go see museums as there are several museums for each category about aircraft, railroads, spaceflight, in Ohio, including the absolutely gigantic National Museum of the US Air Force near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:38 am

Glad to hear that you liked DC. I live in the Maryland suburbs. This area (district, maryland, virginia) IS hard to beat. Lots of both nature and culture. A hundred miles west you have the mountains (not super big mountains like the Rockies but ruggedly beautiful, with skiing in the winter). A hundred miles to the east you have beaches and seaside resorts. Youve got the bay.

Tons of history...Civil War, War of 1812, Revolutionary War, and you have the nation's capital (museums etc). Not only a lot, but a lot crammed into a small geographic space.

But ive been to or through other states. I loved them all. My personal favorites include California, New Mexico, coastal Massachusetts, Colorado, North Carolina, and Florida.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:57 am

Of the states I've visited, I liked California, Colorado, Georgia, Minnesota and North Carolina the best.

Full List:

Alabama
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas (I live here)
Wyoming

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 11:43 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Of the states I've visited, I liked California, Colorado, Georgia, Minnesota and North Carolina the best.

I liked North and South Carolina a lot too, but you can get into some pretty heavy racism there, and they're also prone to hurricane damage.

I guess my runners-up would be East-Coast states like Vermont and Maine. Parts of PA are really nice too.

I wasn't a big fan of DC or Maryland. Baltimore was one of the scariest places I've seen in my life.

California has gone to hell in a hand basket. It's not safe anymore. I used to live there and I still have family there. I don't even know if I would want to visit again.

I wouldn't want to live in USA at all, but if I had to pick I'd chose a northern place near the east or west coast, with abortion rights, gay rights, legal marijuana, and a hard stance against guns or violent crime. Also, none of that BS about banned books at school, or trans-bathroom wars in the media.

Does such a place exist?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 11:57 am

Noam111g wrote:
I'm from Israel so I dont know much about the less popular states in the US. Can anyone please explain if there's anything interesting to see or do in states like Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Ohio, Iowa, and so on? The states not many people are excited about.

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard Idaho is hardcore rightwing lately and extremely anti-abortion.
I also heard something about them merging with Oregon? But maybe I misunderstood that.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 12:13 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I also heard something about them merging with Oregon? But maybe I misunderstood that.

Have heard of it and went to look up references.

Greater Idaho resolution passes Idaho House; calls for talks with Oregon over moving border

Updated: Feb. 17, 2023, 9:24 a.m.|Published: Feb. 16, 2023, 10:54 a.m.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/202 ... order.html

Quote:
By Clark Corbin, Idaho Capital Sun

With a wink and a smirk the Idaho House of Representatives on Wednesday passed a nonbinding memorial calling for formal talks between the Idaho and Oregon legislatures to discuss moving some rural Oregon counties out of their state and into Idaho.

The proposal is rooted in the so-called Greater Idaho movement (https://www.greateridaho.org/), which seeks to include about 11 counties, or 63% of Oregon’s landmass, within Idaho’s borders because proponents of the plan think eastern Oregon is more politically and culturally aligned with Idaho than Oregon’s larger progressive cities in the western part of the state.

Such a large-scale change to state borders hasn’t occurred since the Civil War, and moving the borders would require the Idaho Legislature, the Oregon Legislature and Congress to all sign off in favor of the change. The move would also likely require multiple amendments to the Idaho Constitution, which defines the state’s borders and caps the number of state legislative districts at 35.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 12:33 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Noam111g wrote:

People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard Idaho is hardcore rightwing lately and extremely anti-abortion.

Its an "irredentist movement" ( part of one place wanting to merge with another- not the whole states merging). Eastern counties of Oregan wanting to merge with Idaho (reducing Oregan to a coastal rump). Dont hold your breath. Even if it werent the tongue in cheek stunt that it is...it would be hard to accomplish a map change like that. Both state legislatures and Congress would have to approve.