Is there something wrong if I am not being inspired?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 9:20 am

Sometimes even when I've been scrolling through my phone and come across of videos of people who are probably younger than me making videos about how to better themselves and showing the foods they have started eating to get into better shape or exercising, it does really put a smile on my face or inspire me really. I feel like I ''should'' be and that to not feel any happy or positive emotion to that makes me feel like is there something ''wrong'' with me ? I seem to feel I see a lot of videos of stuff like this as well as books and things. But it doesn't really inspire me to buy one and read it or watch one or even want to buy a self-help book as I'll only have a look at one part and not the rest and think well what's the point on spending money on something like this if I am not going to read the rest of it ?

Though for some reason I have lots of books on different subjects (animals, history, crime, fantasy-fiction, etc) that I am interested in reading about and want to read about but I don't always look and read about everything in them so you might be thinking ''Well how is that any different than if you were to get a self help book and not have to read all of it but just have it there so if you want to, you can read it ? But I still won't buy one except look at it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:28 pm

Some people don't like reading those kinds of books ever.

But if you're noticing that repeatedly, things that should make you feel something, maybe inspire or motivate you.. simply don't, it could be a sign of clinical depression.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 5:42 pm

I just want to point out that I'm not making out as though I am not inspired or impressed by anything, things do inspire and impress me but it all depends on what it is and how I feel.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 6:18 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I just want to point out that I'm not making out as though I am not inspired or impressed by anything, things do inspire and impress me but it all depends on what it is and how I feel.

Ok, so like everyone else then within a normal range.. sooo, congrats you're human ?

Not everything inspires everyone. Some fitness motivational thing might spark someone to go for a walk/jog or have a workout whereas some digital art might spur someone else into creating some art of their own after they ignored the fitness motivational ad.

Do you assume you should be motivated by everything intended to be motivational? :?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 6:26 pm

Not doing something is actually a normal, natural response to being told you "Should" do it. "should" automatically makes a person feel guilty and negatively for not doing it AND at the same time decreases the likelihood that they ever will do it. The more we are told we "should" do a thing, the more resistance we build up to doing it.