Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 10:22 pm

I've only shopped in Target once. It was too bright and too red for me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 10:47 pm

Meh.  Target is okay.  It is the only real competitor that Walmart has (imho), ever since K-Mart, JC Penney, and Sears went under.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 10:48 pm

Target came to Canada, f****d up hardcore, lost over a Billion dollars in one year, then f****d off.

I might have been in a target store in Washington state Once when I was a kid. Otherwise never been there and don’t care if I ever shop there.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:36 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Target came to Canada, f****d up hardcore, lost over a Billion dollars in one year, then f****d off.

I might have been in a target store in Washington state Once when I was a kid. Otherwise never been there and don’t care if I ever shop there.

Some of us pronounce it with a bad French accent: tar-zhay. It’s K-Mart for rich people.

There was a lot of potential for Tar-zhay in Canada. Converting Zellers to Target overnight was probably not the smartest move, and combined with really bad timing and COVID Target never had an honest chance there.

I don’t really have anything against Target. I just can’t afford it.

I guess what I wonder is if Target is virtue signaling by having LGBT displays close to the front of the store, does that make them bigoted? They’re preying on trans people and making money off them, after all, exploiting Pride Month for the sake of profit. Isn’t that really just making a statement of how low Target thinks of the intelligence of trans people?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:45 am

AngelRho wrote:
I guess what I wonder is if Target is virtue signaling by having LGBT displays close to the front of the store, does that make them bigoted? They’re preying on trans people and making money off them, after all, exploiting Pride Month for the sake of profit. Isn’t that really just making a statement of how low Target thinks of the intelligence of trans people?

Are they really preying on people by seeking to appeal to them? Certainly not anymore than the normal amount. They're marketing themselves to a demographic, like most other businesses do.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 11:31 am

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Some of us pronounce it with a bad French accent: tar-zhay. It’s K-Mart for rich people.

There was a lot of potential for Tar-zhay in Canada. Converting Zellers to Target overnight was probably not the smartest move, and combined with really bad timing and COVID Target never had an honest chance there.

It wasn’t timing or Covid that killed target in Canada. It was poor management. I read a long article on it. They had bad data in their computer systems and a culture of lying yes men saying they had product in stock or could do something they couldn’t. Computer system said everything was fine, but with bad data they didn’t actually have product to put on display and their stores were half empty.

Another minor mistake was creating new, apparently inferior, products for Canada only when Canadian fans of target wanted to be able to buy the stuff they would venture South for, not some other crap. But the big thing was a boater computer system full of bad data that resulted in bad decision after bad decision until it was too late.

Every major corporation gets in on pride dollars if they can. Some do it a bit tastefully, others just get made fun of. But still, rainbow displays in areas of the world where gays aren’t so accepted are likely good for the psyche of someone seeing them. Target shuffling things from the front to the back is a bad look for them, though.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 11:38 am

I think people who say trans people, blacks, other minority group here get "Special Protection" are forgetting that prior to this "Special Protection," they were at a disadvantage in society (and still very much are), and due to their inherent privilege cannot see that they were born and grew up with this "Special Protection" (read: equal rights), so they see other groups getting on their same level and are appalled that this new guy is being treated better than them.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 1:53 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

It wasn’t timing or Covid that killed target in Canada. It was poor management. I read a long article on it. They had bad data in their computer systems and a culture of lying yes men saying they had product in stock or could do something they couldn’t. Computer system said everything was fine, but with bad data they didn’t actually have product to put on display and their stores were half empty.

Another minor mistake was creating new, apparently inferior, products for Canada only when Canadian fans of target wanted to be able to buy the stuff they would venture South for, not some other crap. But the big thing was a boater computer system full of bad data that resulted in bad decision after bad decision until it was too late.

Every major corporation gets in on pride dollars if they can. Some do it a bit tastefully, others just get made fun of. But still, rainbow displays in areas of the world where gays aren’t so accepted are likely good for the psyche of someone seeing them. Target shuffling things from the front to the back is a bad look for them, though.

They shouldn't have had bad data in the first place, though. They flat wanted a massive expansion in Canada and aggressively applied Ferengi rules of acquisition to accomplish it at all costs.

Sure, expand or die. But maybe just start with a store in Toronto, Ottawa, and maybe Montreal, and see how things go. Find out what works in Canada, gradually work your way outwards from there. Take some risks, eat some losses, learn, adjust, try again.

Is that what Tar-zhay Canada did? No. Their business plan was "buy out Zellers and they will come."

And yeah...bad management.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 4:48 pm

Readydaer wrote:
I think people who say trans people, blacks, other minority group here get "Special Protection" are forgetting that prior to this "Special Protection," they were at a disadvantage in society (and still very much are), and due to their inherent privilege cannot see that they were born and grew up with this "Special Protection" (read: equal rights), so they see other groups getting on their same level and are appalled that this new guy is being treated better than them.

You're right. "Special Protection" was a wrong choice of words. What I should have said was "Preferential Treatment."

The only thing "equal" about it is that some segments of society are "more equal" than others.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 5:12 pm

For what it's worth, Target failed in Canada back in 2015.

I went to Target once and got some Hot Wheels that largely went unordered by other retail chains in North America.

Sadly I had disassembled and customized all my extras before becoming aware they all were selling for ~$100 online. :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 5:14 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Readydaer wrote:

You're right. "Special Protection" was a wrong choice of words. What I should have said was "Preferential Treatment."

The only thing "equal" about it is that some segments of society are "more equal" than others.

How exactly does pursuing policies to address ongoing marginalization result in making some people "more equal"?

The whole idea is that they're consistently made less equal and an attempt is being made to address that.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:34 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Readydaer wrote:

Wrong.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 7:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Readydaer wrote:

How exactly does pursuing policies to address ongoing marginalization result in making some people "more equal"?

The whole idea is that they're consistently made less equal and an attempt is being made to address that.

Who is marginalized? Why are they marginalized?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 8:05 pm

Who is pretending to be stupid? Why are they pretending to be stupid?

:chin:

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:10 am

if you don't think trans people and black people and other minorities are marginalized you need to go outside, or hell just look up news (not fox though)

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:59 am

AngelRho wrote:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/target-holds-emergency-meeting-lgbtq-pride-merchandise-stores-avoid-bud-light-situation

Worst case scenario your 13 year old kid sees a swimsuit and asks mom what "tuck friendly" means. If Target wants to support LGBTQ by selling swimsuits at the front of the store, who cares? Unlike the Bud Light fiasco, I have a feeling that the only people who would make a federal case out of it are also the types who'd never shop at Target in the first place.

And Target really isn't all that great, anyway.

For the record, I am pretty sure 13-year-olds would probably know about the LGBTQAI+ matters as most schools teach them when they are pretty young.