Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 8:49 am

AngelRho wrote:

It’s K-Mart for rich people...I don’t really have anything against Target. I just can’t afford it.

:scratch: :chin:

I've never heard of such a thing. For one thing, K-Mart went under years ago, and Target was one of its principal competitors. Target isn't exactly an upscale store. Cleaner than K-Mart ever was, but the prices are similar. Not at all like Macy's or Harrod's. They don't sell any luxury goods.

AngelRho wrote:
I guess what I wonder is if Target is virtue signaling by having LGBT displays close to the front of the store, does that make them bigoted? They’re preying on trans people and making money off them, after all, exploiting Pride Month for the sake of profit. Isn’t that really just making a statement of how low Target thinks of the intelligence of trans people?

They will also have Easter-themed displays for Easter, Halloween costumes in October for All Hallows' Eve, and Christmas merchandise after that.

Does this mean that Target thinks that Christians are stupid?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:45 am

Don’t forget the big Fourth of July displays because Americans might be stupid.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:46 am

Honey69 wrote:
Does this mean that Target thinks that Christians are stupid?

I've often wondered that.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 11:30 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
https://www.foxnews.com/media/target-holds-emergency-meeting-lgbtq-pride-merchandise-stores-avoid-bud-light-situation

Worst case scenario your 13 year old kid sees a swimsuit and asks mom what "tuck friendly" means. If Target wants to support LGBTQ by selling swimsuits at the front of the store, who cares? Unlike the Bud Light fiasco, I have a feeling that the only people who would make a federal case out of it are also the types who'd never shop at Target in the first place.

And Target really isn't all that great, anyway.

For the record, I am pretty sure 13-year-olds would probably know about the LGBTQAI+ matters as most schools teach them when they are pretty young.

most schools barely touch on it on the rare occasions it is mentioned. Kids learn through social osmosis. which is why book banning and all sorts of restrictions won't do s**t

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 12:06 pm

Perhaps a thread , i could get behind .....!

But must admit based on my experience here in the heartland of the USA ...There does seem to be a Republican
base , evangelicals and the like ....Bible thumpers whom seem to get behind politicians that are outright out to
remove civil rights in the Gay/ Gender community. In this Country. It is discouraging that these people so admantly try to quell voices of people whom they seemed determined to disadvantage . Have seen this repeatedly personally and it makes me ill , to think taxes I pay in this State for anything,Goes to promoting these Monsters agendas or policies . Even the peoples whom form support groups here are so terribly ineffectual . :twisted:
But am quite sure that there maybe some closeted supporters of these causes. ??????? 8O
(Please: do not speculate that anything written here is anti Christian , in any way.) Just pressing for fair behaviour.

where ever you go ,there you are

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:24 pm

AngelRho wrote:
They are concerned that they'll face similar backlash as Bud Light did with Mulvaney.

This being the United States in 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpK0ZVh-PGU

We might indeed want to be cautious when entering a Target store. Any store, really. But, especially a Target store during this Pride Month.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:44 pm

With all the random shootings it does make sense to avoid a place called Target.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 2:58 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 3:59 pm

AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Readydaer wrote:
I think people who say trans people, blacks, other minority group here get "Special Protection" are forgetting that prior to this "Special Protection," they were at a disadvantage in society (and still very much are), and due to their inherent privilege cannot see that they were born and grew up with this "Special Protection" (read: equal rights), so they see other groups getting on their same level and are appalled that this new guy is being treated better than them.

You're right. "Special Protection" was a wrong choice of words. What I should have said was "Preferential Treatment."

The only thing "equal" about it is that some segments of society are "more equal" than others.

How exactly does pursuing policies to address ongoing marginalization result in making some people "more equal"?

The whole idea is that they're consistently made less equal and an attempt is being made to address that.

Who is marginalized? Why are they marginalized?

You're kidding right?

All of these segments of society that have to fight tooth and nail for their rights and for representation sure seem to fit the definition.

Many reasons contribute to why various groups of people might be marginalized.

I'm sorry, but your bad faith gotcha attempt has failed.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:03 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Readydaer wrote:
I think people who say trans people, blacks, other minority group here get "Special Protection" are forgetting that prior to this "Special Protection," they were at a disadvantage in society (and still very much are), and due to their inherent privilege cannot see that they were born and grew up with this "Special Protection" (read: equal rights), so they see other groups getting on their same level and are appalled that this new guy is being treated better than them.

You're right. "Special Protection" was a wrong choice of words. What I should have said was "Preferential Treatment."

The only thing "equal" about it is that some segments of society are "more equal" than others.

How exactly does pursuing policies to address ongoing marginalization result in making some people "more equal"?

The whole idea is that they're consistently made less equal and an attempt is being made to address that.

Who is marginalized? Why are they marginalized?

You're kidding right?

All of these segments of society that have to fight tooth and nail for their rights and for representation sure seem to fit the definition.

Many reasons contribute to why various groups of people might be marginalized.

I'm sorry, but your bad faith gotcha attempt has failed.

Who? "All these segments..."

Why? "Many reasons..."

The gotcha is you rightly suspect something is wrong with the answer, so you refuse to give one.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 5:03 pm

AngelRho wrote:
By giving trans people special protection, did we suddenly become moral, or is being trans still immoral?

:scratch: :chin:

Well, according to Jesus,

Jesus Christ wrote:

there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.

For Christians, doing something "for the kingdom of heaven's sake" would be the moral thing to do.

So, I suppose that we suddenly became moral (from a Christian perspective) by granting special protections to trans people, perhaps providing that the transformation involved removal of the testes/penis.

This was a shift from

Deuteronomy 23 wrote:

He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 5:15 pm

AngelRho wrote:

Why? "Many reasons..."

The gotcha is you rightly suspect something is wrong with the answer, so you refuse to give one.

You seem to be expecting something complicated to be broken down into a one line response. Badgering that I won't do so demonstrates that bad faith motives your question.

It's not a very good gotcha because most people understand what groups might count and how there's multiple factors in play that contribute.

But, for some examples, racism contributes to the marginalization of ethnic minority communities, sexism contributes to the marginalization of women, homophobia and transphobia contribute to the marginalization of queer peoples, etc.

Are you going to insist those groups aren't marginalized or can you concede to reality now? :chin:
Playing dumb in regards to reality isn't the same debunking it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 9:54 pm

:chin:

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 9:58 pm

Just goes to show you what kind of people beer drinkers are...

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Why? "Many reasons..."

You seem to be expecting something complicated to be broken down into a one line response. Badgering that I won't do so demonstrates that bad faith motives your question.

It's not a very good gotcha because most people understand what groups might count and how there's multiple factors in play that contribute.

But, for some examples, racism contributes to the marginalization of ethnic minority communities, sexism contributes to the marginalization of women, homophobia and transphobia contribute to the marginalization of queer peoples, etc.

Are you going to insist those groups aren't marginalized or can you concede to reality now? :chin:
Playing dumb in regards to reality isn't the same debunking it.

I’m not the one refusing to answer some questions. What are some specific reasons why trans people feel marginalized?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:13 pm

^^^Or as we used to say in the old days of PPR: “Evidence please.”