I hate seeing young couples (rant)

Page 2 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:30 pm

Honestly I think it is better to be an older couple because you and your partner have more life experience

I COULD have gotten married or had a boyfriend in my 20's but I decided instead to use that time for self-discovery and finding my purpose

Now at 30 I'm ready to pursue a real romantic relationship with my soulmate!

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 8:45 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Disappointment and loneliness led to a time in my 30s where I developed an attitude describable as, when elders I risked telling about my feelings would respond with "Being married is not that big a deal" I would say, Oh, if it is not that big a deal, then why have you made so much effort to gain and maintain it? They would typically, "Umm, well, uhh ..." to which I would respond along the lines of, Yeah, that's what I thought, and your personal credibility just went to the sewer, this conversation is over.

Can remember at that time really not liking going grocery shopping on account of all the couples of varying ages in our local grocery store.

Restaurants weren't much pleasant either.

I was working retail and while that was fun, Christmas and Valentines had an undercurrent of deep sadness.

Yeah, I know marriage can be bad, my brother's first wife came after him with a knife. Her boyfriends (note the plural) abused my brother's sons while the government had him off around the world doing army things in places like Somalia, and to the point where the boys have said outright they don't even want to know whether their mother is still alive.
And I still vividly remember the day when I was having both physical and emotional health collapse my since ex wife was mocking me and when I asked her to stop ridiculing me her response was to literally wave her finger under my nose with "I'll use ridicule on you whenever I want to, I'll keep using ridicule, and you'll just learn to live with it."
That marriage ended right then and right there. Was a few years later the legal formalities got done.

But yes, independent of that above, aloneness, loneliness, rejection, they are not benign, they have effects.
And the effects are detrimental.

People can literally starve to death from lack of affection, love.

As part of this, there is a thing, a named thing,

Quote:
What Lack of Affection Can Do to You
We're facing a crisis of skin hunger, and it has real consequences.

Posted August 31, 2013 | Reviewed by Lybi Ma

Key points

Feeling deprived of meaningful human contact can be referred to as skin hunger.
People with skin hunger, or who are affection-deprived, are more likely to experience depression and stress, and in general, worse health.
The remedy for skin hunger begins with putting down one's smartphone.

:arrow: So, tell me here, our wise and knowing Doc, how did people put down their smartphones in the 1980s and 1990s???

Quote:
A study on the lack of affection

Just as lack of food, water, and rest have their detrimental effects, so too does the lack of affection. In a recent study of 509 adults, I examined the construct of skin hunger—and the social, relational, and health deficits with which it is associated. The results were consistent and striking. People with high levels of skin hunger are disadvantaged in multiple ways, compared to those with moderate or low levels.

Specifically, compared to people with less skin hunger, people who feel more affection-deprived: are less happy; more lonely; more likely to experience depression and stress; and, in general, in worse health. They have less social support and lower relationship satisfaction. They experience more mood and anxiety disorders, and more secondary immune disorders (those that are acquired rather than inherited genetically). They are more likely to have alexithymia, a condition that impairs their ability to express and interpret emotion. Finally, they are more likely to have a preoccupied or fearful-avoidant attachment style; they're less likely to form secure attachments with others in their lives.

Would you be able to post a link to this study? I’d love to share it with married people who give me the whole “marriage isn’t a big deal” spiel.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 9:26 pm

I wasn't able to actually try on wedding dresses at thrift shops today to test out my theory of having that speed up my materialization and manifestation of marriage because the one place that had a wedding dress didn't have a dressing room!

But I will keep trying at other thrift shops!

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 4:55 am

TheUndiagnosed wrote:
This afternoon I went to the grocery store to buy stuff for my mother,
Entered the shop and there was this teenage couple (they had entered the same building slightly before I went inside).
So i found myself in this very unfortunate circumstance of witnessing this young couple shopping together.
They were talking, huggin and kissing..all the time!

Well, love rules the universe so we should be happy for them right?

The truth is that I felt like a snake bite!!

Be glad there is some happiness in the world. The years pass by so quickly, in the blink of an eye the young folk are your age, then your mother's, then gone. Life is brief, we get the cards we are dealt and play them best we can.

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2023, 5:30 pm

I wish I never created this thread, I regret this rant so much now, wish it could be deleted

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 7:01 pm

TheUndiagnosed wrote:
I wish I never created this thread, I regret this rant so much now, wish it could be deleted

Look at all the people that replied. If they didn't like your post then they would not have replied.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 8:02 pm

TheUndiagnosed wrote:

You can always pm a mod or go here
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=406797&start=464
I'm not sure what the rules are for deleting threads, but even if it can't be deleted, it can be locked so no one else replies to it. They do that here if the person who started the thread wants to lock it. It might not be able to vanish entirely (I don't know), but locking it would allow it to get no replies and sorta 'fade away' under newer posts so you wouldn't have to see it anymore unless you go digging through your own old posts. Anyway, if you really want it gone, a mod here should be able to help with that one way or another.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2023, 6:01 pm

I would just enjoy the show.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 5:05 pm

well i'm with the OP in which it makes me feel bitter and resentful when i see young couples or couples of a certain age range, reminds me of a youth i didn't have

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 9:37 pm

Yeah, I definitely feel this. It was a part of what made college extremely depressing for me. Now I work from home, shop online, and live with a roommate who has also never been in a relationship, so I rarely go outside and interact with other people. I’m trying to go back to living alone because the roommate thing is not going as well as I had hoped.

I don’t look at what people I used to know post on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media platforms because I don’t need to be reminded that my isolation is abnormal. Maybe it’s unhealthy, but I’ve found that not interacting with people has made me much happier than in my college days, when I tried and failed to interact with people and develop connections. If I’m not trying, I can’t be depressed from failure.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 2:40 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
Yeah, I definitely feel this. It was a part of what made college extremely depressing for me. Now I work from home, shop online, and live with a roommate who has also never been in a relationship, so I rarely go outside and interact with other people. I’m trying to go back to living alone because the roommate thing is not going as well as I had hoped.

I don’t look at what people I used to know post on Facebook, Twitter, or other social media platforms because I don’t need to be reminded that my isolation is abnormal. Maybe it’s unhealthy, but I’ve found that not interacting with people has made me much happier than in my college days, when I tried and failed to interact with people and develop connections. If I’m not trying, I can’t be depressed from failure.

that angers me because its a reminder that men for all time, have always had to be the ones to start an interaction

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 10:06 pm

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
Honestly I think it is better to be an older couple because you and your partner have more life experience

I agree.

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
I COULD have gotten married or had a boyfriend in my 20's but I decided instead to use that time for self-discovery and finding my purpose

Wise choice, IMO.

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
Now at 30 I'm ready to pursue a real romantic relationship with my soulmate!

Good luck finding a compatible partner.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a perfect "soulmate." There is only the most compatible person you can find who is also into you.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 10:19 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
that angers me because its a reminder that men for all time, have always had to be the ones to start an interaction

Not "for all time," although this is the prevailing custom.

Perhaps needed: More Sadie Hawkins clubs/events? See also Bachelor's Day (tradition).

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 12:36 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:

Not "for all time," although this is the prevailing custom.

Perhaps needed: More Sadie Hawkins clubs/events? See also Bachelor's Day (tradition).

Do you think many women would go for something like this?

I could be wrong, but my impression is that there would be far fewer women who would want to do the pursuing and initiating than there are men who would want to be pursued by women.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 12:55 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
Do you think many women would go for something like this?

I could be wrong, but my impression is that there would be far fewer women who would want to do the pursuing and initiating than there are men who would want to be pursued by women.

I can't speak for "many" women, but I myself have always disliked the idea of people of either sex being confined to either role. I wouldn't want to be required to always be the person taking the initiative, but I've always wished I had more freedom to take the initiative if/when I felt like it.

goaszw1997
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2023, 5:03 pm

I went through a similar experience at one point. Some advice that helped me, find a hobby, a distraction that will keep the mind elsewhere. I found a career, and eventually decided I would prefer to be single. No one to talk back, and having full autonomy over your life and environment are great feelings.

Yes, loneliness is something i struggle with at times, but my dogs are great at filling the void.