Illinois legislator violent threat: All Gender bathroom bill

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 7:32 pm

Illinois GOP legislator threatens violence if state passes all-gender bathroom bill

Quote:
Illinois state senators last week were told to expect violence if they voted to pass legislation that would allow businesses to install multiple-occupancy restrooms open to all genders.

Speaking on the Illinois Senate floor Thursday, state Sen. Neil Anderson, a Republican, said he would be driven to physical violence if “a guy” entered the same restroom as his 10-year-old daughter.

“I’m telling you right now, if a guy walks in there, I’m going to beat the living piss out of him,” Anderson said during Thursday’s floor debate on House Bill 1286 as his supporters cheered. “So, this is going to cause violence, and it’s going to cause violence from dads like me.”

The bill — which would require mixed-gender, multiple-occupancy bathrooms be equipped with floor-to-ceiling stall dividers, locks, baby changing tables and at least one vending machine for menstrual products — seeks to expand an existing state law requiring that single-occupancy restrooms be open to all genders.

The legislation passed the Senate largely along party lines in a 35-20 vote Thursday and was given final approval by the Democratic-controlled House on Friday. The measure would go into effect with Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s signature.

Anderson’s comments during Thursday’s floor debate were condemned as gratuitously violent by Illinois Senate Democrats. State Sen. Mike Simmons (D) suggested Anderson’s remarks should be stricken from the record.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 8:09 pm

What a moron.

Have these people never traveled to a place with gender neutral washrooms in their lives? :?

I don’t travel much.. but live in a progressive area where gender neutral washrooms have been around for decades. I guess it’s possible they’ve never seen such a thing but wtf really it’s no big deal At All.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 8:25 pm

Why do they want one bathroom for everyone for men & women? No parents would want their female child to go to the bathroom with a man in there, he could be a pervert or a sexual predator.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 9:55 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why do they want one bathroom for everyone for men & women? No parents would want their female child to go to the bathroom with a man in there, he could be a pervert or a sexual predator.

Possibly to save on construction costs and also to make bathrooms more convenient for people to access.

For small places, they only need one room with a couple stalls. Cheaper and smaller to build than two rooms.

No lineups waiting for an available washroom of one gendered washroom is busier.

Also more inclusive of trans people. Probably also of handicapped people in wheelchairs too, because when you only have to have one sink and hand dryer or paper towels etc there’s more room to make aisles and doors wider to accommodate wheelchairs.

In washrooms with multiple stalls, the stalls will go floor to ceiling and have locks. Pretty simple math to count to one person per stall.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 10:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
For small places, they only need one room with a couple stalls. Cheaper and smaller to build than two rooms.

More space efficient too. Floor space that would otherwise be lost to a wall is now open.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:08 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Have these people never traveled to a place with gender neutral washrooms in their lives? :?

I don’t travel much.. but live in a progressive area where gender neutral washrooms have been around for decades. I guess it’s possible they’ve never seen such a thing but wtf really it’s no big deal At All.

The only bathrooms here that I know of that are gender-neutral are ones with one toilet.
Outside of that the experiences I have had were during the 80s in a NYC tavern that became known for it, and impromptu ones that happened when the lines to the women's room became too long.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 11:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

The only bathrooms here that I know of that are gender-neutral are ones with one toilet.
Outside of that the experiences I have had were during the 80s in a NYC tavern that became known for it, and impromptu ones that happened when the lines to the women's room became too long.

Yeah, I can only think of one or two gay district bars/lounges that have a large washroom with multiple stalls and entrance doors. Long row of stalls with tall walls and doors. Shared sinks for hand washing in the communal area. Truly no big deal at all, pee, wash hands etc. Not sure if other bars in the area might have similar setups as I’ve never even been to most of them.

All of the others I’ve used have been as you described - single washrooms or the impromptu stadium kind when lineups are long.

In all cases, meh, the whole thing is a big fat nothingburger. Everyone pees. MAYBE even everyone poops. Whatever; just wash your hands.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2023, 12:51 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Possibly to save on construction costs and also to make bathrooms more convenient for people to access.

No lineups waiting for an available washroom of one gendered washroom is busier.

Also more inclusive of trans people. Probably also of handicapped people in wheelchairs too, because when you only have to have one sink and hand dryer or paper towels etc there’s more room to make aisles and doors wider to accommodate wheelchairs.

In washrooms with multiple stalls, the stalls will go floor to ceiling and have locks. Pretty simple math to count to one person per stall.

So, you don’t believe in gender privacy when one wants to relieve themselves. Remind me to never visit Vancouver!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 1:00 am

Kitty4670 wrote:

It would work if the parent were to guard the door to keep others out. The danger would be when the parent was not around.

I used to eat at one restaurant about 30 years ago that was run by a couple of 30-something women but it had only one bathroom. At one point, the health department told them that they needed to have two bathrooms, one for men and one for women. The cost of adding another bathroom was to much for them so they closed their restaurant

Even with separate bathrooms, it doesn't always work. Once when I was in college in the 1970s, I was sitting near a women's bathroom talking to a couple of other people one weekend night. We saw another very drunk male student stumble into the bathroom. We kept watching for him to come out, but we never saw him exit. We did see several female students go in and come out like there was nothing unusual. I tried to get one of the girls I was talking to to go in and see what the deal was but she refused vehemently.

By the way, years ago I read about a woman who worked as a bathroom attendant in the men's bathroom of some place in New York City. She apparently made a pretty good living at it. I think that I've ever been to one place in my life that had a bathroom attendant -- a private membership club in Houston.

Last edited by kokopelli on 24 May 2023, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 1:02 am

MuddRM wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

So, you don’t believe in gender privacy when one wants to relieve themselves. Remind me to never visit Vancouver!

:roll:

The individual stalls are private.

It’s only the area where people wash and dry their hands or check their hair/makeup that’s communal.

What’s the big deal about washing your hands next to someone of a different gender washing their hands? :?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 1:04 am

MuddRM wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

You have privacy when you relieve yourself, just like any other bathroom (maybe more because the full length doors).

You just might have mixed company while you wash your hands.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 1:11 am

Question to that legislator: If you're worried about your daughter being disturbed by a guy using the same bathroom, wouldn't she be even more disturbed by seeing you get your ass beat by some guy you just tried to prevent from going to the bathroom?

There's few things more unsettling for a kid than witnessing one of their folks getting helplessly ragdolled. Before a parent goes initiating a fight with a stranger, they need to consider that outcome and the trauma their child will suffer as a result.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 6:39 am

Are these shared restrooms?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 7:05 am

My bad I just read it properly. Finally on my break.

Anyway. This is really stupid legislation.

Lawful excuse to have a penis out in front of kids and women and all the privacy one could want....what could go wrong?

The stalls are a token gesture. It gives men an excuse to do what they like with only word Vs word as evidence.

How on earth is this going to work out in nightclubs full of drunk people?

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 7:36 am

I think people are forgetting that perverted monsters are the minority. This is good legislation, and that Neil guy is a fool who should have an eye on him if he continues to express such violent airs. Quite the role model for his 10-year-old daughter, hmm?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 8:08 am

Readydaer wrote:
I think people are forgetting that perverted monsters are the minority. This is good legislation, and that Neil guy is a fool who should have an eye on him if he continues to express such violent airs. Quite the role model for his 10-year-old daughter, hmm?

All it takes is a small minority to cause a lot of trouble if they can do it with impunity.

Legal excuse to have a penis out and no CCTV. Hmmmmm.