‘Wellness Winnie’ Rolls Into Denver Neighborhoods

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2023, 8:56 pm

That's a neat idea,

The ‘Wellness Winnie’ Rolls Into Denver Neighborhoods With Encouragement (+podcast)

Wednesday, May 3 2023 by Richard D. Hunt

https://www.klove.com/news/positive-peo ... cast-42673

Quote:
“I think a lot of children that see us driving around think we’re an ice cream truck, maybe” smiles Shawna Darling. The Wellness Winnie is definitely painted to be noticed - and to offer a warm sense of presence when it drives up. But there are no triple-dip cones available. What’s served up is kindness.

The ‘Wellness Winnie’ (think: Winnebago) makes regular stops at set locations and offers a variety of helpful services from the Denver Department of Public Health & Environment.

Usually behind the wheel is Shawna. “We have set times and we pack up the RV with all kinds of stuff, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hygiene, snacks, hot chocolate, cup of noodles…and if it’s colder outside we sort of operate as a food truck and greet folks from the outside and if they need more services, we invite them in to chat with us.”

Conversations can range from needed services to resources. We “ask them if they’re experiencing any struggles or barriers that they might need some assistance with.” This may involve housing and rental assistance. Shawna shares that some older residents will “bring their mail to us and ask if I could help them to understand what it is that they’re receiving and help walk them through that.”

“I have the absolute best job in the world because I’m allowed to connect with people that need someone to have a little bit of hope for them” and “walk alongside them on their journey until they can walk alone.”

On the Wellness Winnie’s website, a menu of services is listed:

· Peer Support and Navigation

· Informal classes and presentations

· Sharps (used syringe or needle) disposal

· Behavioral health screening and assessment

· Active referral to services, such as: medical, legal, social services

· Distribution of items, such as: socks, gloves, toiletries, etc.

· Rehydration and cooling from the heat

· Warming from the cold

· Narcan/Naloxone distribution

Shawna is a living example of a life changed, and that helps in her everyday interaction with the people the Wellness Winnie serves. She struggled with an addiction “off and on” for 13 years. “I made lots of poor choices and eventually just felt very defeated” and while sitting in a jail cell vowed to do what it takes to overcome and get her life on a better path. She shares those encouraging details in our complete podcast interview.

Bottom line: “I realized that I was not the only one [with challenges] and that my experiences could help others.” Often her mission is to “let people know that they’re not alone and that we all struggle with something. And just because we’re struggling that doesn’t define who we are.”