How was your life after been diagnosed or selfdiagnosed?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2023, 10:01 pm

My life has been about the same since self identified, just basically..... would have never guessed I was autistic. It has helped me understand where a good chunk of my anxiety comes from: sensory issues

Waiting on a formal diagnosis at the moment.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:39 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Psychologically it's done me a world of good to understand why I'm the way I am, and to make peace with some bad choices from my past. I used to gaslight myself that everything was my fault or I should have tried "harder", when in retrospect I realise I shouldn't have tried at all with some of those situations. They were all over my head and out of my comfort zone. I shouldn't have tried at all, and I should have sought appropriate support instead of thinking more effort was needed.

It's allowed me to forgive myself for those mistakes, or at least take ownership for the parts that really were my "fault", without catastrophising and hating myself as a failure, or self-gaslighting with negative self-talk that carried on for decades about my inability to be a normal person.

This, soo much this.

I would add it informed me of mistakes I made that I was clueless about and how Autism factored into those bad choices. That has helped a lot.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:56 am

Getting a proper/correct dx allowed me to learn and employ coping skills, tips/tricks and so on that actually worked. Knowing the whys of what was going on with me gave me a launch point for making improvements and gave me some much needed insight into myself and what was going on with me. In a lot of ways, my life has significantly improved because of this.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 2:18 pm

so much better in every way. self understanding, understanding of the past and all the troubles and misunderstandings in earlier days, being able to forgive myself and finally understanding that everything was not after all, all my fault. What a relief!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Shohei79
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2023, 10:43 pm

Thanks for all answers. Very helpful.