Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2023, 1:43 am

Whenever I see myself in photos, I think I look like there's something wrong with me. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm not talking about thinking that I'm ugly (I actually think my features are nice or at least average), but I hold my facial features in such strange ways. My eyes always look like they're half open, as if I'm high or dopey, and my smile is usually awkward.

I know it's common for people to dislike how they look in photos, but I think it's different. Like when I point out these things to my mom (who is extremely kind and usually immediately disputes any negative thing I say about myself) she isn't able to directly dispute it

Also does anyone have any advice for looking more normal in photos?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 3:04 am

I look weird enough in real life without having to worry about how I look in photos.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:10 am

I'm not very photogenic. In photos my front teeth seem more prominent than they are in real life, but if I smile with my mouth closed my chin looks large. I hate my face anyway.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 6:46 am

I used to work at a place that had us wear a photo ID. All the women wore their badges backwards because they hated how they looked in their picture. I didn't because my pictures always turned out better than I actually looked.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 7:42 am

I have no advice, I'm the opposite of photogenic. Just wanting to say I can relate.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 2:22 pm

If there was a "spot the odd one" contest, people would choose my photo for sure.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

banjovamp
Raven
Raven

25 May 2023, 7:27 pm

I always feel like this too. It's like there's something uncanny about the way I look & I wonder if its something i'm very attuned to bc its ME or if everyone can see it

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2023, 8:15 pm

I've noticed that in many of the pictures people have taken of me that my eyes are half closed. Usually, I have a goofy look on my face also. My advice is to not worry about it.

In our minds eye we see ourselves as looking a certain way but this in not necessarily based on reality. The same can be said as to how we sound. I hear my voice come out a certain way but I really don't like what my voice sounds like when recorded. People have told me though that they like the sound of my voice when I am singing.

My advice is to just be yourself and enjoy life without worrying about silly little things like this. Also, when someone is going to take your picture, don't react badly like some people do because that will make you look worse in the photo for sure. Just smile and enjoy the fact that you have people in your life that want to take your picture.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 8:26 pm

I look weird in photos because I have an odd gait, body language, and facial expressions. I also usually look like I feel uncomfortable if I'm aware that someone is taking a picture of me.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 8:59 pm

With me, its usually about facial expressions. Recently, I was part of a group photo at a gathering. Someone posted the photo online and another person commented, "Benjamin needs to learn how to smile." I'd thought I was smiling.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 9:11 pm

I have three expressions:

1) Terrified: There's a gun to my head, and I'm about to be killed.

This happens if I look at the camera.

2) Stoned: I just smoked a pound of hash and I'm falling asleep.

This happens 90% of the time because my eyes are downcast / no eye contact.

3) Dissociated: Gazing into the distance like I'm in another world, seeing nothing.

This happens when I'm caught off-guard and and spaced out.
People call it my "Pretty Vacant" expression.
It combines nicely with RBF.

In some of my school pics I stuck my tongue out because I was so anxious about having my picture taken.
My mother used to hate all my school photos and make fun of me or refuse to buy / display them.

Now I refuse to be photographed.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:52 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
Whenever I see myself in photos, I think I look like there's something wrong with me. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm not talking about thinking that I'm ugly (I actually think my features are nice or at least average), but I hold my facial features in such strange ways. My eyes always look like they're half open, as if I'm high or dopey, and my smile is usually awkward.

I know it's common for people to dislike how they look in photos, but I think it's different. Like when I point out these things to my mom (who is extremely kind and usually immediately disputes any negative thing I say about myself) she isn't able to directly dispute it

Also does anyone have any advice for looking more normal in photos?

I feel the same way, but mostly because I can barely recognize myself in photos, so it's a bit like people typically not liking the sound of their own voice.

You didn't happen to be on SNL did you? Jim Brewer was always like that. Shy of lowering the lights or wearing sunglasses, that probably won't change much.

theboogieman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2023, 11:02 am

Every time I smile for a photo, my left eye squints twice as much as my right eye. What's strange is this never happens when I smile in the mirror. It's like I don't know how to control my facial muscles without visual aid. :jester:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 10:16 pm

I'm this way even in selfies. I have to take a lot of them before I'm satisfied with how I look.

There are few photos of me when growing up that I think are ok. Even as a baby I wasn't photogenic.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 10:39 pm

I've taken only one selfie in my life, to see how to do them on my camera.
Never again.
I don't understand why people take pictures of themselves in the first place?

I absolutely hate being photographed.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2023, 11:06 am

It takes practice to be good at being in front of a camera. It is not as easy as it seems.