Someone I knew died. TW: suicide

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 4:10 pm

He was on my baseball team for 2 years when I was in middle school. This is another reminder of how serious of an issue mental health is. Not to make this about me, but I know for a fact that there just isn't enough being done to stop people from taking their own lives, mainly because I've seen first hand how unempathetic people can be.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 5:10 pm

I know you said you don't want to make this about you, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry that you got hit with such sad news.

I think you're right about the general lack of empathy. So many see suicide or suicidal ideation as a moral failing and that stigma can be a huge barrier to people seeking help or even internalizing the idea that help is out there.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 5:18 pm

Rest in peace to your friend.
Sending sincere condolences to you, and to his family.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 5:26 pm

Aw man, sad thing. Sorry.

Along with the lack of empathy, people seem to have a kind of glee in judging those who do take their own lives.

While used as humor, there was truth in the dark humor "Goodbye cold cruel world".

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 9:41 pm

I had to do a suicide intervention yesterday.
It's getting too common.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 4:00 am

Suicide is an increasing problem. I will tell you encouraging news. I live in an area where we have mental health units. So, when someone has a crisis, meltdown, or seems to be self-destructive, then trained officers approach them and offer help instead of jail. Things that offered include referral to mental health treatment or hospital, money for a hotel, or just calling relatives or friends and getting in touch with them to help. Sometimes they will even take the person in their car and drive them across state to reunite with family. Now that shows that someone cares.

The main thing is getting people the help they need. A lot of people are on drugs and alcohol these days. It makes mental issues a lot more severe.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 9:14 am

Sorry to hear that happened. I've lost a few people to suicide. To say it's rough would be an understatement. Hope you can find some ways to be good to you during this. The same for his family.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 12:41 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I had to do a suicide intervention yesterday.
It's getting too common.

I had to walk a student to counseling to get him help during an episode. The unfortunate reality is that you never know for sure that the intervention was necessary, but you do know for sure that it was and didn't happen.