Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2023, 3:33 pm

I made a glitter jar a while ago (a clear jar filled with water, transparent glue, and glitter, that you can shake to watch the glitter slowly swirl around) and I like it so much that I want to make a bunch of other kinds of sensory bottles.

Looking up ideas on the internet for what to put in them, I feel kind of embarrassed with myself because literally all the advice I find is from mom bloggers who make them for their toddlers.

I knew that kind of thing was popular with kids, but I thought at least some other adults would be into them too. I forget that it isn't common

There's not too much of a point to this post other than sometimes I get suddenly self-conscious about things that I enjoy

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 3:36 pm

Don't feel embarrassed. It's just like an arts and crafts thing, some people make these things as a hobby. I like making little cut-outs of people and colouring them in. I've got over a thousand. It's just a pastime.

I'm not sure what else you could put in your bottles, as I've never made them before. But it sounds cool. :)

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2023, 3:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Don't feel embarrassed. It's just like an arts and crafts thing, some people make these things as a hobby. I like making little cut-outs of people and colouring them in. I've got over a thousand. It's just a pastime.

I'm not sure what else you could put in your bottles, as I've never made them before. But it sounds cool. :)

That sounds fun! I bet they look really cool all together in a crowd, like a where's Waldo. Do you put them on you wall or anywhere?

Right now I'm planning on making one with a bunch of glow in the dark things (glowing fishing lure worms, glowing water beads, glowing fish tank pebbles, etc). And I saw some cool ones with dyed mineral oil and corn syrup that I want to try (so when you shake it the colours mix and then separate again)

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 3:47 pm

I like 1/2 water that's been dyed with food coloring and 1/2 vegetable oil. It's like a lava lamp if you move it slowly, or if you shake it up you get all these tiny bubbles and it's so fun to watch them float aroundand then separate again. I love those things.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2023, 4:01 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I like 1/2 water that's been dyed with food coloring and 1/2 vegetable oil. It's like a lava lamp if you move it slowly, or if you shake it up you get all these tiny bubbles and it's so fun to watch them float aroundand then separate again. I love those things.

Yes I want to try that! And maybe put some objects in it that float on the water but not on the oil, so they'll be suspended in the middle

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 5:42 pm

Those are neat. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I like doing arts and crafts that are generally geared towards children myself.

I've never made one before but now I want to try.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 9:28 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
FleaOfTheChill wrote:

Yes I want to try that! And maybe put some objects in it that float on the water but not on the oil, so they'll be suspended in the middle

I'd be curious to know how that turns out for you. There's a good chance I'd try it myself. I love things like that. I just ohm out on them. So relaxing. :heart:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 5:54 am

Daughter loves these, always has, and I have loved them too. There is a version to make which has colored bits which stay separate somehow, and you use food color and some sort of thick stuff to carry it. Lots of articles and video "how to" s out there, I can't add to that part, but just wanted to reassure you that its OK to enjoy your sensory bottles without shame. Lots of older folks love them too. ( I am 71 and love those, plus 'snow globes' and kaleidoscopes)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 12:16 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
I made a glitter jar a while ago (a clear jar filled with water, transparent glue, and glitter, that you can shake to watch the glitter slowly swirl around) and I like it so much that I want to make a bunch of other kinds of sensory bottles.

Looking up ideas on the internet for what to put in them, I feel kind of embarrassed with myself because literally all the advice I find is from mom bloggers who make them for their toddlers.

I knew that kind of thing was popular with kids, but I thought at least some other adults would be into them too. I forget that it isn't common

There's not too much of a point to this post other than sometimes I get suddenly self-conscious about things that I enjoy

How to ADHD on YouTube did a video on it. Also, keep in mind that's what is developmentally appropriate for NDs won't always match with what's appropriate for NTs and vice versa. The website stuff may shift around a bit over time, but it will always be there.

Also, who really cares? I'm on vacation today having gone to Disneyland yesterday and precisely one person commented on me earplugs and I think he thought I was listening to music. But it was too loud in the ride to hear him even after removing them. Most folks were to busy having fun.

This morning was kind of cool because there was somebody else at breakfast that almost certainly is ND wearing noise cancelling headphones which clued me into the fact that it was getting noisy. Nobody seemed to care at all that we were using noise blocking gear.

The point is that so much of this is more important to us than to other people. We need this stuff to properly function and for quality of life.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 12:18 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
FleaOfTheChill wrote:

I'd be curious to know how that turns out for you. There's a good chance I'd try it myself. I love things like that. I just ohm out on them. So relaxing. :heart:

I bought one because I didn't have the time to worry about making my own. I wish I hadn't had to leave it at home.

Also, lava lamps are great if you're being lazy and are willing to wait for it to warm up.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2023, 1:06 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:

I bought one because I didn't have the time to worry about making my own. I wish I hadn't had to leave it at home.

Also, lava lamps are great if you're being lazy and are willing to wait for it to warm up.

I would buy one but they can be expensive, plus I'm picky about colours so I want to pick them myself

I love lava lamps, I had one when I was a kid and it was so cozy and relaxing to look at!

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2023, 8:22 pm

The colour separation bottles are made with water, water-based food colouring, oil, and oil-based food colouring

Oil-based food colouring is super expensive though! The cheapest I can find is $7.50 CAD per bottle (and that's not including shipping). I wish there was a way to buy just a few drops since that's all I need. Otherwise it seems like a waste