what are common autism traits that you DON'T relate to?

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 4:52 pm

No meltdowns here. Not a lot of black-and-white thinking. Not that much rigid thinking. I have routines but they're often fairly flexible, especially if I know about changes in advance. It's been very rare that I'd have qualified as clinically depressed, and what anxiety I have isn't usually strong enough to disable me. I don't have a great fascination for numbers. I'm probably a little more numerate than the general population, and to a degree I enjoy writing programs that involve understanding numbers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 5:05 pm

I've never been stereotypical.

As a kid I liked trains but only because I was into Thomas The Tank, up until I was 7. I knew nothing about real trains and I didn't talk about trains. I just liked the show and sometimes pretended I was a train in the backyard.
Then I got interested in jungles because I loved The Jungle Book, but again I knew very little about jungles. I just liked playing adventurous imaginative games pretending I was in the jungle, and I drew pictures of the jungle and was drawn to safari toys. Yet when I was taken to the zoo as a treat I was more interested in playing on the play equipment with other children than I was looking and learning about safari life. :lol:

So, in other words, I was not a little professor as a child. I was a hyperactive, bratty but wimpy kid.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 5:09 pm

My sister (who believes she has ADHD and has said she "wouldn't be surprised" if she were also autistic) was heavily into trains as a younger child. I was the walking dog encyclopedia - up to about age 16.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 10:41 pm

I'm not a text book aspie.
I'm not a stereotypical classical autistic.

I'm a 'hybrid'. That's just not my observation.

I could be the best of both worlds (all of the stereotypical aspie's cognitive strengths and a classic case's lack of social and emotional based ego) or worst of both worlds (all of an aspies' 'arrogance' and rigidity, and a classic case's limitations).

Everyone else is usually either one or the other.

My complicated relationship in masking.
Most of my willful masking is towards this emotional liability I've been fighting since I was a child and failing it.

I can do autistic masking, but it's not the type of masking that I want.

I cannot consistently do the masking that I want -- which is to behaviorally manage the stupid emotional liability.
I felt more relieved if that annoying thing in my head and chest isn't in charge of everything I say, act, think... "Feel".
I don't feel relieved of losing or pressure putting it on like that if I we're only trying to 'pass' as NT.

No one here discussed so far non-autism relevant masking. Heck I doubt it's even ND related so it may not count.

And so many things related to cultural stuff and related to one's exposure in life.
So, I wasn't even exposed to trains. I don't even have toy blocks as much as I would've want it.

There were no books for my child self can comprehend let alone appreciate.
The visual strength focus stuff I've known then is from an old TV program of 'draw with me' for kids and neither of my parents are supportive.

Most autistics I've met are privileged. Many can afford regular therapy sessions, medications, special education, hospitalizations...

The rest are either lost wandering, dead, locked up somewhere like a caged dog, or possibly someone undiagnosed and are called insane/crazy/compared to a severe schizophrenic -- not that I'm aware or personally know of anyone who is.

And I'm in a minimaliastic limbo whose household can only afford a diagnosis.
From 14+ years ago. Prices tripled now compared then.

Not neglected like from some abusive household, yet neglected because of have nots.

I hadn't known anyone here who tries to do the same; coping and "solving" their autism out of sheer unavailability and also not some high achiever who are in the numbers of survivorship bias that can make the unavailable into available themselves.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2023, 11:49 pm

1) Feeling "invaded" by eye contact; eye contact feeling like you're looking at the sun; a fight or flight response with eye contact; feeling like my insides are being inspected upon giving eye contact. I'm always trying to imagine how mere eye contact can make someone feel like this. Eyes are just balls of goo.

2) Selective mutism (though I don't think that's actually common in autism).

3) Meltdowns.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2023, 11:59 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
No meltdowns here. Not a lot of black-and-white thinking. Not that much rigid thinking. I have routines but they're often fairly flexible, especially if I know about changes in advance. It's been very rare that I'd have qualified as clinically depressed, and what anxiety I have isn't usually strong enough to disable me. I don't have a great fascination for numbers. I'm probably a little more numerate than the general population, and to a degree I enjoy writing programs that involve understanding numbers.

Well, you're 70. Did you EVER have meltdowns? Because if you had meltdowns 40 years ago, those count. If you had meltdowns only in childhood, those count too.

Otherwise, if you've literally never had a meltdown (I don't mean a tantrum to get your way, like many NTs have), I'd like to know, because I've never had meltdowns, and this fact sometimes makes me feel like I'm not autistic enough. I'm with a group of auties and they're talking about their meltdowns, and I'm just sitting there totally unable to relate.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:02 am

This isn't a trait, but it's a common behaviour and often discussed: I don't mask. I do the basics of being polite in public which everyone learns to some degree (e.g, not running around naked, not picking my nose, not telling people they look fat, or saying I'm not happy to see them, etc.)

I never learned to script or fake anything. Zero eye contact and very rare face contact. I have no coping strategies or backup plans when it comes to interaction or even sensory fatigue, stimming, and RBFBs.

Everything I do is a free-fall like it's the first time I've had to navigate the situation. I don't even have compensatory strategies to talk myself down afterward. I have meltdowns, shutdowns, and the whole nine yards, publicly and privately.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2023, 1:01 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
This isn't a trait, but it's a common behaviour and often discussed: I don't mask. I do the basics of being polite in public which everyone learns to some degree (e.g, not running around naked, not picking my nose, not telling people they look fat, or saying I'm not happy to see them, etc.)

I never learned to script or fake anything. Zero eye contact and very rare face contact. I have no coping strategies or backup plans when it comes to interaction or even sensory fatigue, stimming, and RBFBs.

Everything I do is a free-fall like it's the first time I've had to navigate the situation. I don't even have compensatory strategies to talk myself down afterward. I have meltdowns, shutdowns, and the whole nine yards, publicly and privately.

Before my ASD journey, if I had been in a conversation with someone, and they were not looking at my face (I don't mean eye contact per se, but general face contact), I would've seriously wondered if something about MY FACE OR EYES was very off-putting to them. I likely would have asked why they weren't looking at me (likely, not necessarily, depending on the circumstance and who the person was. For instance, a sales associate at Walmart, I wouldn't care less if they didn't give me face contact. But if it was a contractor showing up at my house ... and he just kept avoiding looking at me ... hmmm, this would not go over well, and I'd have to ask him why).

So then, has anyone ever asked you why you weren't looking at their face in general (autistics who avoid eye contact almost always look at some part of the face, and often, this passes as eye contact to the other person). And if so, what has been your usual response?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 1:58 am

Elgee wrote:
Before my ASD journey, if I had been in a conversation with someone, and they were not looking at my face (I don't mean eye contact per se, but general face contact), I would've seriously wondered if something about MY FACE OR EYES was very off-putting to them.

It's fair that you feel that way. I'm sure people wonder the same about me. I wish I could change the behaviour but it's not something I do consciously. I don't even think about it until the interaction ends and I realise I've done it again.

In my case it has nothing to do with how you look. I'm not off-put by looking at you. If you were on a TV screen I'd be more than interested in checking out your face and all your details. The problem is that I don't want you or anyone else looking at me so I turn my whole head and body away from people. I'd put a bag over myself if I could, so you won't see me.

I have Scopophobia which is a phobia of being looked at or seen. Scopophobia is more common in autistic people than the general population but it can affect anyone. It keeps me from making face contact. It also explains why I won't look people in the eyes: I don't want them to see my eyes, or see me at all. It feels like they're invading or stealing my soul when people look at my eyes, even though I know they aren't. It's kind of the same as the fact we don't show our private parts in public. I feel like my eyes are a private part, and even more so than my other "private parts" because they're unique and distinct and people can read or infer my emotions from seeing them. The same can't be said of my lady bits lol.

A lot of my avoidance is from shame related to CPTSD, but I know I had issues with eye contact years before any of my traumas even happened. It's just the way I was born. It feels very scary to mask and fake it, but like I said before I don't even remember to do that until I've walked away. Then it dawns on me that I likely made a fool of myself and got judged again. It's a vicious circle and very frustrating but I'd still rather feel comfortable than perform to make others happy.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 2:38 am

Elgee wrote:

So then, has anyone ever asked you why you weren't looking at their face in general (autistics who avoid eye contact almost always look at some part of the face, and often, this passes as eye contact to the other person). And if so, what has been your usual response?

The only time I can think of was a time when my pharmacist started questioning me very loudly in front of other customers, talking about my vagina and being really rude to me. I hadn't been looking at her in the first place but when she started this bizarre tirade I turned all the way around and she shouted at me "Don't turn your back on me, missy!", or something equally egregious, at which point I just ran from the shop in anger. That was in 2011 and I've never gone back in there because she mortified me so badly and I can tell she still works in there (I can see in the window when I pass).

I'm sure there have been other times but I can't remember. Usually they tell me to make eye contact but I can't remember being told about face. Chances are, they just feel insulted as you say and they judge me but don't comment. At the end of my first year in Uni where I'd shared a small dorm room with a roommate for 8 months, she told me she'd never liked me because the day we met I wouldn't look at her and I barely spoke. She interpreted it to mean I was a b***h. She used the word "haughty". I was shocked and assumed she'd tell me that things got better as the year progressed but nope, she said she kept that opinion based on my mannerisms. She didn't specifically say that I didn't face her, but that I didn't look at her. I'm sure it's the same.

My daughter gets upset because she'll be in the room with me and I won't face her or say anything until she starts heading up the stairs out of vision, and then I ask her a question or call something she can't hear. She's always telling me to communicate when she's there instead of after she's walked away.

I've had other people tell me I appear to be "blind", because my eyes are downcast and I'm spaced out, in photos and in real life. They think I'm high or drunk. My former psychiatrist knew that the only way I'd speak was if I sat on the floor facing a wall. She didn't complain about it. My former psychologist knew I'd sit under his desk with my hands over my face, but he was treating me for trauma and he said the pose wasn't uncommon.

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2023, 6:19 am

I seem to relate to and have most of / very many Autistic traits.

Of the few that I don't have is the inability to read people's facial expressions and body language etc. I think I'm actually very observant and perceptive in that side of things. (This is what directly led me to being diagnosed so late in life, as for a long time I wasn't aware that you don't have to tick every single box in order to be diagnosed with Autism)

Another one I don't have is sensory issues with food and only being willing or able to eat a small range of foods with certain specific textures. I would try, and eat, almost anything. I love trying new foods.

I don't have an intense and prolonged ability to focus on things either. My attention span and ability to concentrate and stop my mind wandering is very poor, unless it's something I'm very interested in. But I think I may have ADHD, so that would definitely cancel out the intense focus trait. I think that may be what is happening with me.

Those are the only 3 things that I can think of, off the top of my head.

Travel and going to new places I'm kind of mixed on. I partly enjoy it but it can also give me lots of stress and anxiety. I often seem to enjoy the memories of the travel more than the actual travel itself.......

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 7:36 am

I don't have a 'why am I autistic' story.

How I couldn't mistake social-emotional (body language, emotion recognition, tone, "empathy", themes, etc.) from social-cultural (contexts, usage of words, languages, expressions, actually 'social rules', etc.).
I have no issues with the former.

The latter however, I certainly do. Most autistics have issues with both or mistake one for another.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 7:48 am

I think this is a trait of Asperger's rather than Autism, but I don't ramble like a little professor about my special interests. That's because I only talk to about four people in the whole world, and even then I'm often mute with them. I know they aren't interested in my special interests and it feels better to savour the information to myself than to bore others.

I discussed it at length in my career, but that's what I was paid to do so it's apples and oranges.

I'm not HFA and don't have Asperger's. I don't even think "talking non-stop about special interests" is in the diagnostic criteria, but it's a stereotype which doesn't apply to me.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2023, 9:48 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

The problem is that I don't want you or anyone else looking at me so I turn my whole head and body away from people. but I'd still rather feel comfortable than perform to make others happy.

That makes more sense, an actual phobia, because many autistics intensely study faces and body language to figure things out in an interaction. I myself don't. I just let the leaves fall where they may, though I give eye contact principally to communicate something about myself, rather than make the other person happy.

But the BIG question is this: You are just as visible when you're looking away from someone in an interaction, as you are if facing them and looking somewhere on their face. They see you just as much. When I don't want to be seen, I wear sunglasses. This literally creates a barrier. But if someone wants to look at me (sunglasses or not), it doesn't matter if I'm facing away from them. If in an interaction I'm facing away due to just how our body angles turned out, they can still view me fully. So, does that thought ever surface for you -- that you're just as easily seen when angled away from someone in an interaction? Just an honest sincere question; never had correspondence with someone who had scopophobia before. :wink:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 9:52 am

Being overly honest and blunt with strangers, with people i know and trust i am p. Honest, but with strangers, no.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2023, 9:57 am

I just want to point out, Asperger's is actually autism Level 1. In 2013, the term "Aspergers" was absorbed under the umbrella term of autism spectrum disorder. Those who were called "Asperger's" in their diagnostic report prior to 2013 are now considered ASD-I. They did away with the term Aspergers because Hans Asperger was a Nazi.

Also, special interests are part of the diagnostic criteria, but they're referred to as "restricted interests." There are seven criteria, so if one doesn't have these fixated interests, they can still meet the other criteria and get the diagnosis. But according to research, up to 95 percent of autistics have intense, hyperfixated interests.