Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 1:22 am

Like I think I probably have it...I loose things even important things all the time, and teachers told my mom I probably had it but never took me in for an evaluation about it. but like I have the executive function problems and my 'stimming' always was more to focus than avoid anxiety. I mean I probably do still have ASD but like I might have adhd on top of it. And it is kind of a conflict becausee ASD wants a routine but AdHD doesn't even know what a routine is. So it is hard to deal with that in one single brain.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 4:57 pm

There's nothing to lose by getting yourself checked out

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 5:05 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ASD wants a routine but AdHD doesn't even know what a routine is. So it is hard to deal with that in one single brain.

Welcome to the club! :lol:

Seriously, if you can get a free exam and you're willing to try meds, why not?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 11:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ASD wants a routine but AdHD doesn't even know what a routine is. So it is hard to deal with that in one single brain.

Well apparently they can evaluate it at a regular doctors office, which medicaid would probably cover, just not sure how much it would cover meds, but I could find out...and if not maybe I could still afford it. But yeah I am planning to set an appointment I just keep procrastinating on it, I guess I am a bit nervous about the meds still because in the past I had bad experiences with prescribed meds.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 6:48 am

You might be just as well off sticking to your weed

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 5:18 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Well apparently they can evaluate it at a regular doctors office, which medicaid would probably cover, just not sure how much it would cover meds, but I could find out...and if not maybe I could still afford it. But yeah I am planning to set an appointment I just keep procrastinating on it, I guess I am a bit nervous about the meds still because in the past I had bad experiences with prescribed meds.

The commonly used medications tend to be available as generics these days, but if you're on Medicaid, it should be no charge, or at least that was the case here before I got a job with medical coverage.

You shouldn't really need a full on neuropsychiatric work up, that is extremely exciting and probably not necessary.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 5:20 pm

babybird wrote:
You might be just as well off sticking to your weed

Weed with ADHD is a terrible idea. It's more or less the exact opposite of what is useful for somebody with ADHD. Same goes for alcohol, they're central nervous system depressants, something that isn't great for a brain that's already low on activation.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 5:27 pm

Mine was a 20-hour neuropsychiatric workup. I think that was mostly because of my history of stroke, and a congenital heart defect. They needed to make sure the diagnosis was accurate so they could pinpoint the right medication, since many ADHD drugs raise either your heart rate or your blood pressure. I couldn't take chances with either one happening, and the doctor would have been liable if I dropped dead from another stroke in the beginning of treatment. As a result they wanted all my medical records from the beginning of time and it was a very laborious process. I don't think all people need that much of a workup, although come to think of it my daughter was tested at the same place and hers was also 20 hours, but she was lucky enough to do it on Zoom because of lockdowns.

I don't live where Sweetleaf is, though. I think the most important consideration if you do the testing with your GP, is to make sure they can tell how much you are Attention Deficit and how much you are Hyperactive Disorder, even if you're both. I'm both but I still got a breakdown of the percentages so they could choose the right med. Since you're concerned about medication problems the best thing is to know exactly how much stimulant you need or don't need, rather than testing the meds by trial and error. As it is I still don't think my meds are right, but they're better now than they were before.

I'm on 40 mg Vyvanse stimulant in the day, and 1 mg of Intuniv non-stimulant at bedtime.

Intuniv is good stuff. I love it. I'm not so sure about the Vyvanse.

As for weed - My daughter takes 50 mg Vyvanse and smokes a lot of weed because of chronic pain. She's never had a problem with it and the doctors didn't say it was contraindicated.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 7:35 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Mine was a 20-hour neuropsychiatric workup. I think that was mostly because of my history of stroke, and a congenital heart defect. They needed to make sure the diagnosis was accurate so they could pinpoint the right medication, since many ADHD drugs raise either your heart rate or your blood pressure. I couldn't take chances with either one happening, and the doctor would have been liable if I dropped dead from another stroke in the beginning of treatment. As a result they wanted all my medical records from the beginning of time and it was a very laborious process. I don't think all people need that much of a workup, although come to think of it my daughter was tested at the same place and hers was also 20 hours, but she was lucky enough to do it on Zoom because of lockdowns.

I don't live where Sweetleaf is, though. I think the most important consideration if you do the testing with your GP, is to make sure they can tell how much you are Attention Deficit and how much you are Hyperactive Disorder, even if you're both. I'm both but I still got a breakdown of the percentages so they could choose the right med. Since you're concerned about medication problems the best thing is to know exactly how much stimulant you need or don't need, rather than testing the meds by trial and error. As it is I still don't think my meds are right, but they're better now than they were before.

I'm on 40 mg Vyvanse stimulant in the day, and 1 mg of Intuniv non-stimulant at bedtime.

Intuniv is good stuff. I love it. I'm not so sure about the Vyvanse.

As for weed - My daughter takes 50 mg Vyvanse and smokes a lot of weed because of chronic pain. She's never had a problem with it and the doctors didn't say it was contraindicated.

There's a difference between something not interfering with medication and it being a good idea. And even there that's somewhat questionable in terms of some of the more common medications.

https://www.additudemag.com/cannabis-us ... uana-adhd/

In short, mixing pot with ADHD is just asking for trouble. I had one hell of a time kicking the habit and lost nearly a month of my life to the stuff. And, I wasn't even on it for very long. I wish people would stop with the BS on both sides of the issue. It's more dangerous than the pro side would have you believe, but it's hardly reefer madness out there either.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 12:41 pm

Uh, it's not Reefer Madness and I'm not pushing it one way or the other. SL will have to discuss that with her doctor. My daughter's ADHD was diagnosed by one of the leading Neuropsychiatrists in North America after a 20 hour examination. She has a chronic, debilitating illness considered a permanent physical disability, which causes flares of excruciating pain as her organs slowly fail. Her doctors have authorised medical use. She doesn't even use the kind with THC or whatever it is that gets people high. It's for pain relief. Regardless it's legal here even if she wasn't using medicinally. She gets blood tests and scans every two or three months and none of the doctors have indicated any damage as a result. She's unable to take a lot of traditional painkillers or antiinflammatories because of allergies and autoimmune issues so they encourage her to use natural remedies like medicinal pot, and acupuncture, chiropracty, and massage. She also has a naturopath and a homeopath to help manage pain. She's nowhere near addicted. She just travelled to UK for two weeks and was fine abstaining. Likewise she's able to hold down a full-time work-from-home job while she's using, so it's not impairing her cognitive function.

But, thanks for your concern about her wellbeing.