Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:29 am

the hating shriekers must not know what love [or even common decency] is.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 4:14 am

I have complicated feelings about Pride month. It's not always been the easiest time of year for me. Yet I think that's why it's important. It's a time of celebration and reflection. We stand together.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The Pride Parade in downtown Spokane last year didn't have the usual cretins shrieking their homophobia. I hope they stay away this time, as well.

We have fundamentalist right wing christians here as well :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, they can believe whatever they want, but I draw the line at their hystrionics when everybody else are there at the parade for a good time.

I have seen protestors at comic cons and anime conventions and even Christian music concerts. They are real buzzkills.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
As I said in another thread one does not have to agree about the number of genders or what is appropriate at what age for children to be exposed to feel very frightened for LBGTIA people, especially the "T" part, and especially in a lot of states right now.

Yep.

The "T" holds an important part in our history. Stonewall (a riot that considered to be the first pride) was fought by trans women. LGB with the T always and forever.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:54 am

colliegrace wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The Pride Parade in downtown Spokane last year didn't have the usual cretins shrieking their homophobia. I hope they stay away this time, as well.

We have fundamentalist right wing christians here as well :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, they can believe whatever they want, but I draw the line at their hystrionics when everybody else are there at the parade for a good time.

I have seen protestors at comic cons and anime conventions and even Christian music concerts. They are real buzzkills.

I don't know, Christian protesters really add to the buzz at a '90s era Marilyn Manson show. :mrgreen:

Jeez, he probably should have been paying them.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 8:29 am

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 May 2023, 8:36 am

As a pretty masculine sporty gay autistic guy I find it difficult to identify with those who identify as "T" but I keep learning about them so I can both respect and understand those of us who identify thus, along with other minorities who all deserve respect.

Let this continue to be a haven for all our members wherever they are on the spectrum. Let us also think of those who don't enjoy the same kind of rights we do, such as those in countries such as Uganda where it's criminalized to love who you wish to.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 9:15 am

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRokEVsj/

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 10:28 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Let this continue to be a haven for all our members wherever they are on the spectrum. Let us also think of those who don't enjoy the same kind of rights we do, such as those in countries such as Uganda where it's criminalized to love who you wish to.

:heart:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 10:46 am

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 10:59 am

Come one, come all!

https://www.pridetoronto.com/

Get your tickets here! ^

https://youtu.be/VFOk31yuvQE

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2023, 11:12 am

I do not support pride month. I subscribe to the theory that the existence of things like LGBT awareness actually makes the haters come out and implants it in their mind that LGBT have special rights.

If no one did the rainbow flags and companies didn't have professional gay people sending out e mails in June, I firmly believe the anti gay stuff would be less. But when you have a month, it makes people "remember" and convinces some on the fence that LGBT people have special rights that non LGBT don't have, so it pushes them over the edge.

I will take the flak. I support gay marriage, gay adoption, workers rights to not be fired for being LGBT, but to me having a month is more divisive than it is inclusive.

There is a difference between tolerance and bending over backwards. I support tolerance, not bending over backwards.

I remember when Matthew Shepard was killed, it was the drive behind a lot of this. When it turned out that the story was complete BS, it was just like "yeah lets forget that part." He was not murdered because he was gay, it was a typical drug related robbery turned violent.

I tolerate LGBT. I support federal protections from housing, employment, and marriage discrimination. Thats it, it ends there. Suddenly now I'm a bigot in some circles for thinking my company having a professional gay guy on staff is ridiculous (DEI officer). If thats it, then so it.

I will take the angry replies, but I've supported gay marriage well before it was legal and also gay adoption and other protections. I just draw the line at the social pressure to wear the damn rainbow flag pin or pretend to give a crap about LGBT pride month.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 11:17 am

stratozyck wrote:
I do not support pride month. I subscribe to the theory that the existence of things like LGBT awareness actually makes the haters come out and implants it in their mind that LGBT have special rights.

If no one did the rainbow flags and companies didn't have professional gay people sending out e mails in June, I firmly believe the anti gay stuff would be less. But when you have a month, it makes people "remember" and convinces some on the fence that LGBT people have special rights that non LGBT don't have, so it pushes them over the edge.

I will take the flak. I support gay marriage, gay adoption, workers rights to not be fired for being LGBT, but to me having a month is more divisive than it is inclusive.

There is a difference between tolerance and bending over backwards. I support tolerance, not bending over backwards.

I remember when Matthew Shepard was killed, it was the drive behind a lot of this. When it turned out that the story was complete BS, it was just like "yeah lets forget that part." He was not murdered because he was gay, it was a typical drug related robbery turned violent.

I tolerate LGBT. I support federal protections from housing, employment, and marriage discrimination. Thats it, it ends there. Suddenly now I'm a bigot in some circles for thinking my company having a professional gay guy on staff is ridiculous (DEI officer). If thats it, then so it.

I will take the angry replies, but I've supported gay marriage well before it was legal and also gay adoption and other protections. I just draw the line at the social pressure to wear the damn rainbow flag pin or pretend to give a crap about LGBT pride month.

Would you have felt the same way about Women's Sufferage or the US Civil Rights Movement?
What about Autism Acceptance month?

What do you mean it's ridiculous to have a "professional gay guy" (DEI officer) on staff?
Why is it ridiculous?

How are you personally affected by other people's self-advocacy and pride?

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:07 pm

Pride is protest rather than celebration. It's a direct response to hate.
"We don't want you to exist," say the bigots. "Especially not where we can see you."
"Well," we say. "Then we will exist even harder."

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:12 pm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:25 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Pride is protest rather than celebration. It's a direct response to hate.
"We don't want you to exist," say the bigots. "Especially not where we can see you."
"Well," we say. "Then we will exist even harder."

Have you considered compromising on your existence? It seems to upset some people and might push them over the edge.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う