Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 12:38 pm

Having taken part in Pride since the 90s I know the vibe isn't just "Care about LGBTQ+".

It's "Care about all human beings".

There's an emphasis on all human diversity whether it's race, class, age, ability, gender, or orientation.

The message is to be proud of who you are.

I've always been dumbfounded about how anyone could find it offensive.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:06 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The Pride Parade in downtown Spokane last year didn't have the usual cretins shrieking their homophobia. I hope they stay away this time, as well.

We have fundamentalist right wing christians here as well :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, they can believe whatever they want, but I draw the line at their hystrionics when everybody else are there at the parade for a good time.

I have seen protestors at comic cons and anime conventions and even Christian music concerts. They are real buzzkills.

Those idiots would show up at monster truck rallies if they thought they could hurt LGBTQ people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 3:12 pm

stratozyck wrote:
I do not support pride month. I subscribe to the theory that the existence of things like LGBT awareness actually makes the haters come out and implants it in their mind that LGBT have special rights.

If no one did the rainbow flags and companies didn't have professional gay people sending out e mails in June, I firmly believe the anti gay stuff would be less. But when you have a month, it makes people "remember" and convinces some on the fence that LGBT people have special rights that non LGBT don't have, so it pushes them over the edge.

I will take the flak. I support gay marriage, gay adoption, workers rights to not be fired for being LGBT, but to me having a month is more divisive than it is inclusive.

There is a difference between tolerance and bending over backwards. I support tolerance, not bending over backwards.

I remember when Matthew Shepard was killed, it was the drive behind a lot of this. When it turned out that the story was complete BS, it was just like "yeah lets forget that part." He was not murdered because he was gay, it was a typical drug related robbery turned violent.

I tolerate LGBT. I support federal protections from housing, employment, and marriage discrimination. Thats it, it ends there. Suddenly now I'm a bigot in some circles for thinking my company having a professional gay guy on staff is ridiculous (DEI officer). If thats it, then so it.

I will take the angry replies, but I've supported gay marriage well before it was legal and also gay adoption and other protections. I just draw the line at the social pressure to wear the damn rainbow flag pin or pretend to give a crap about LGBT pride month.

What do you base what you stated about the Shepard murder on?
Yes, he had been robbed, but the two killers had coaxed him out of a bar where they had met him by posing as gay after realizing his sexuality. To make matters worse for the said killers, their girlfriends lied to the police about how Shepard had propositioned them. So, yes, they knew he was gay, which was why they had targeted him.
The notion that his death resulted solely from a robbery was a lie pushed by the right in order to downplay homophobic violence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:26 pm

i can sorta understand what he is sayin' here but i have to point out that this type of logic has a very short range- i mean, where does the "just don't be obvious" bit end? would the nazis has calmed down if only the jews had stayed underground? would the kkk have calmed down if only the POC would have stayed underground? just sayin.'

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2023, 11:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Yes, he had been robbed, but the two killers had coaxed him out of a bar where they had met him by posing as gay after realizing his sexuality. To make matters worse for the said killers, their girlfriends lied to the police about how Shepard had propositioned them. So, yes, they knew he was gay, which was why they had targeted him.
The notion that his death resulted solely from a robbery was a lie pushed by the right in order to downplay homophobic violence.

You can google it yourself, the guy who killed him was going to rob another person that night and was a meth addict. After failing, he went after Shepard. Whether or not Shepard was gay wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome.

Doesn't mean I don't support hate crime legislation. But activists try to look for martyrs. We all saw it when BLM made a dude who punched a store clerk into some sort of hero (Ferguson). Doesn't mean I don't think there are valid points, but movements try to find martyrs and when the details don't match they don't like to admit it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 1:35 am

stratozyck wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You can google it yourself, the guy who killed him was going to rob another person that night and was a meth addict. After failing, he went after Shepard. Whether or not Shepard was gay wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome.

Doesn't mean I don't support hate crime legislation. But activists try to look for martyrs. We all saw it when BLM made a dude who punched a store clerk into some sort of hero (Ferguson). Doesn't mean I don't think there are valid points, but movements try to find martyrs and when the details don't match they don't like to admit it.

The Ferguson situation predated BLM by years.
As for Shepard: even if the two killers (there were two of them) were specifically out originally to just rob someone else, would they have killed him as well? Most robbers aren't interested in becoming murderers. The fact that they had tortured Shepard then killed him speaks volumes about the genuine hatred they must have felt for him. And the most likely reason for that kind of hatred was their homophobia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 3:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

BLM predates Ferguson

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 8:00 am

Homophobia can happen anywhere. T.W. discussion of traumatic events (violence and homophobia).

At work. At school. On the playground. At home. On a bus. Or a train. At a club. Or a bar. Anywhere.

I was attacked before my area started having Pride events (that I knew of, anyway). There was no uncertainty about that attack. It happened in a forest glade. Back then, I was on my way to a park / playground. I'd come out to someone at the park, and someone else had overheard our conversation. He must've told his - what I assume to be his friends - about it. Trouble is they were strangers to me. I didn't know this group. So when he showed up with his mates and unexpectedly attacked, I didn't have many options. No recording exists. I have no proof. No idea who they were. I can't remember their faces anymore. The strange thing was, after the attack I just kind of lay there. None of it felt real. I don't think my brain was ready to process that information. Yet I understood the motive. He'd called me disgusting and used certain homophobic slurs. Told me about how it was wrong. I was fortunate that I only gradually developed bruises and no serious injuries.

The incident scared me and I went back in the closet. I didn't come out to anyone else until two years passed since then. So I can understand the appeal of keeping quiet. However, I choose not to. I don't want my life dictated by others. Nor should others have their life silenced. We exist and we're not going anywhere.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2023, 8:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
stratozyck wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

As for Shepard: even if the two killers (there were two of them) were specifically out originally to just rob someone else, would they have killed him as well? Most robbers aren't interested in becoming murderers. The fact that they had tortured Shepard then killed him speaks volumes about the genuine hatred they must have felt for him. And the most likely reason for that kind of hatred was their homophobia.

A basic google search shows the BLM was formed 1 year before Ferguson.

Not worth my time anymore. You don't even do a basic google search to see if what you are saying is wrong. It makes me think everything you say is wrong.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2023, 8:43 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
stratozyck wrote:
I do not support pride month. I subscribe to the theory that the existence of things like LGBT awareness actually makes the haters come out and implants it in their mind that LGBT have special rights.

If no one did the rainbow flags and companies didn't have professional gay people sending out e mails in June, I firmly believe the anti gay stuff would be less. But when you have a month, it makes people "remember" and convinces some on the fence that LGBT people have special rights that non LGBT don't have, so it pushes them over the edge.

I will take the flak. I support gay marriage, gay adoption, workers rights to not be fired for being LGBT, but to me having a month is more divisive than it is inclusive.

There is a difference between tolerance and bending over backwards. I support tolerance, not bending over backwards.

I remember when Matthew Shepard was killed, it was the drive behind a lot of this. When it turned out that the story was complete BS, it was just like "yeah lets forget that part." He was not murdered because he was gay, it was a typical drug related robbery turned violent.

I tolerate LGBT. I support federal protections from housing, employment, and marriage discrimination. Thats it, it ends there. Suddenly now I'm a bigot in some circles for thinking my company having a professional gay guy on staff is ridiculous (DEI officer). If thats it, then so it.

I will take the angry replies, but I've supported gay marriage well before it was legal and also gay adoption and other protections. I just draw the line at the social pressure to wear the damn rainbow flag pin or pretend to give a crap about LGBT pride month.

Would you have felt the same way about Women's Sufferage or the US Civil Rights Movement?
What about Autism Acceptance month?

What do you mean it's ridiculous to have a "professional gay guy" (DEI officer) on staff?
Why is it ridiculous?

How are you personally affected by other people's self-advocacy and pride?

Ah there you go, any slight criticism is immediately equated to "you must be against womens rights, and hate black people, and others." Its this "intersectionalism" mindset where if you don't go along with every single bit of the "movement" you immediately get cast aside as representing "everything that is against us."

No, I have problems with everyone being pressured to go along with something. Having to go along with LGBT pride month or therefore, you hate LGBT is abhorrent to me.

You can be prideful! Go for it! Self advocate! But don't socially pressure everyone to go along with a pride month and then say everyone who is mildly annoyed with it is your enemy. As I said, tolerance is a different standard. I tolerate other lifestyles. I favor legal protection. But it ends there. Social pressure to wear a flag is annoying at best; at worst it reduces others' freedom to NOT wear the pride stuff.

I don't give a crap about autism acceptance month either. It doesn't impact anything. No one goes, "look back, the turning point in civil rights was Black History month."

If you don't see why having a professional gay guy on staff is problematic, its because you live in a bubble. Most people are OK with most things until its in their face. People are ok with pot legalization until they have someone smoking pot around them outside, then they want it banned because they hate the smell.

Imagine if a company posted a job that said, "job opening, only straight people will be considered." It would be an outrage! But when you have a DEI person, its NEVER some straight white dude in a pickup truck. Its implied that DEI people will ALWAYS be LGBT or some kind of minority group. Always.

Its hypocritical, and most people can see through that. It builds resentment, not bridges.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2023, 8:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
i can sorta understand what he is sayin' here but i have to point out that this type of logic has a very short range- i mean, where does the "just don't be obvious" bit end? would the nazis has calmed down if only the jews had stayed underground? would the kkk have calmed down if only the POC would have stayed underground? just sayin.'

I don't know who you are responding to. If its me, I never said "just don't be obvious"

I'm going to invoke "Godwin's Law" here. Its why we can't even have real discussions. Everyone who disagrees with "the movement" is therefore the same as Hitler.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:44 am

Your both not wrong.

Homophobia was bigger before pride. Having gay sex was a crime, considered a mental illness to be cured by conversion therapies, and an automatic disqualifier for employment. My bullying was because they thought my differences meant I was gay. That changed because of protests.

All protests involve some in your face and blowback is inevitable. “Too much” in your face can delay progress and even cause retrenchment. Nixon’s and Trump’s elections demonstrate that and arguably the current anti trans backlash falls into that category.

I would argue that gay marriage came about due to a smart less confrontational approach specifically by appealing to libertarian instincts “we should be able to live the life want” and pointing out that that gay marriage does not threaten straight ones.

Not wrongly some advocates argue that why the f**k should we wait another minute to get the rights we deserve, why f**k should we have to ask permission? Why should we suffer to message your discomfort? You probably do not intend to give us anything, calls for delay is an attempt to weaken our resolve and make us go away.

Problem is everything is situational, one truly does not know the best strategy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 9:56 am

stratozyck wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't know who you are responding to. If its me, I never said "just don't be obvious"

I'm going to invoke "Godwin's Law" here. Its why we can't even have real discussions. Everyone who disagrees with "the movement" is therefore the same as Hitler.

Invoking Godwin's Law is a little ironic, considering based on his own expressed opinions Godwin wouldn't find fault with Blabby's reference.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2023, 10:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
stratozyck wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Invoking Godwin's Law is a little ironic, considering based on his own expressed opinions Godwin wouldn't find fault with Blabby's reference.

No, he specifically referenced politicians advocating for rolling back rights as well as right wing rallies.

Not someone on the internet saying "hey maybe if someone is annoyed by a professional gay guy." You really are stretching his words to say it applies in this situation. You are looking for any way to call anyone who disagrees with you a Nazi.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:53 am

I understand your point. However, I think it's fair to say that no one here considers you to be a Nazi. There's definitely a conversation to be had about positive discrimination and workplace quotas. Perhaps though in another thread where it can be focused on in greater depth. A conversation about assimilation VS more radical approaches of protest. Perhaps in PPR?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 12:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

BLM predates Ferguson

I stand corrected. I misremembered BLM as originating with Derek Chuven crushing Lloyd's neck.