Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 9:04 pm

I love Pride Month. I love all the different colours and rainbow stuff.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 10:21 pm

Where I live now, 'bakla' are common and an accepted part of society.

Wikipedia wrote:
In the Philippines, a bakla (singular and plural) is a person who was assigned male at birth and has adopted a gender expression that is feminine.  They are often considered a third gender.  Many bakla are exclusively attracted to men and some identify as women.  The polar opposite of the term in Philippine culture is tomboy (natively the lakin-on or binalaki), which refers to women with a masculine gender expression (usually, but not always, lesbian).  The term is commonly incorrectly applied to trans women.

Bakla are socially and economically integrated into Filipino society, having been accepted by society prior to Western colonization, many of which were held in high regard and performed the role of spiritual leaders known as babaylan, katalonan, and other shamans in pre-colonial Philippines.  However, a minority group of Filipinos disapprove or reject the baklas, usually on religious grounds.  The stereotype of a baklâ is a parlorista -- a flamboyant, camp cross-dresser who works in a beauty salon; in reality, the bakla thrive in numerous sectors of society, from the lower to the upper levels.
So there seems to be no "Pride Month", or even the perceived need for one in the Philippines.  "Pride Month" seems to be solely an American phenomenon.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran