Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2023, 12:21 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The Ferguson situation predated BLM by years.

BLM predates Ferguson

I stand corrected. I misremembered BLM as originating with Derek Chuven crushing Lloyd's neck.

Thats when BLM went mainstream. They used their appeal to become a shakedown organization.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 12:43 pm

Pride month is for everyone to celebrate who they uniquely are without shame.
The neurodiverse should embrace this.
We are also marginalized and have a higher rate of violence and misunderstanding directed at us.
There won’t be a march for us because we are not able to attend.We would need proxies.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 12:43 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Pride month is for everyone to celebrate who they uniquely are without shame.
The neurodiverse should embrace this.
We are also marginalized and have a higher rate of violence and misunderstanding directed at us.
There won’t be a march for us because we are not able to attend.We would need proxies.

:heart:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 5:13 pm

stratozyck wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

BLM predates Ferguson

I stand corrected. I misremembered BLM as originating with Derek Chuven crushing Lloyd's neck.

Thats when BLM went mainstream. They used their appeal to become a shakedown organization.

And who did they allegedly shake down? Police departments and municipal governments that covered for abusively racists cops for years by exposing them?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 7:58 pm

I found this video essay about growing up trans to be interesting. Figured it would be a good addition to this thread.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2023, 9:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
stratozyck wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

BLM predates Ferguson

And who did they allegedly shake down? Police departments and municipal governments that covered for abusively racists cops for years by exposing them?

Corporations. They gave BLM tens of millions - I've seen estimates as high as hundreds of millions - after Floyd. They threatened protests and companies bought them off. The people running BLM made millions.

Just google it, its fairly open info.

Wait till you find out how much money Bernie Sanders made off of campaign donations to his campaigns!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2023, 10:31 pm

^^^
I get the distinct impression that you're of the opinion of: Liberal bad, Conservative good. In that case, I must assume your arguments are extremely one sided.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2023, 11:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^
I get the distinct impression that you're of the opinion of: Liberal bad, Conservative good. In that case, I must assume your arguments are extremely one sided.

Ah yes, the whole intersectionalism mindset. If I don't agree 100% I must be the embodiment of everything you oppose.

News for you guy:

- I favor single payer health care
- wealth tax.

In short, I am basically far left of center to most of America. Vote straight down the line Democrat, although I am not exactly happy with it and I am annoyed by their complete ability to lose a winnable election.

I think you need to check your prejudices. I learned - while I was getting my Economics PhD - that most people who "care" actually favor policies that hurt the people they are caring for. People will want to give money to poor people for housing but at the same time protest the building of new housing. Spoiler: that extra money for poor housing ends up in the hands of the landlord without a fluid housing supply.

I opened this with the observation that I believe pride month actually hurts LGBT rights. I believe that with evidence - hate crimes go up. I gave an analogy - I believe more people are in favor of pot legalization until they see and smell someone smoking it. I believe its the same with LGBT.

Since then, not a single person has bothered to argue that point, and instead sidestepped it and automatically assumed I must be right wing lunatic.

Have you considered I might be part of the LGBT yourself? No. Instead you automatically assume I am some sort of imaginary enemy.

A lot of progressiveness need to look in the mirror and check their own biases and recognize that they are often hurting their own cause.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2023, 1:26 pm

Pride celebrationshurt LGBTQ+ rights in the USA the same way women insisting on being able to go about their daily lives in countries with sharia laws hurts women’s rights in those countries. If the women would just quietly stay home no one would care if they wore burquas and they could probably even have jobs as long as those jobs didn’t involve being visible or in charge of men - like, they could sell jewelry on Etsy! As long as they didn’t start messing around online and getting ideas or thinking they should control their incomes I mean….

My grandson threw a fit a few weeks ago because his friend has two mommies and he only has one and that isn’t fair and he wants another mommy (he’s 2). And everybody laughed and said “sorry kiddo, everybody’s family is different.”

I’m not Irish or gay, but I think pride should be no more controversial than saint patricks day. St. Paddies generally does not cause an escalation of anti-Irish violence because we no longer have signs that say “no Irish need apply” being Irish is now mainstream.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2023, 1:28 pm

I mean, basically your argument against pride month is the argument of the abusive spouse who says he only hits her because she provokes him.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2023, 4:51 pm

Quantum duck wrote:
I mean, basically your argument against pride month is the argument of the abusive spouse who says he only hits her because she provokes him.

Nope that's a bad analogy. Non LGBT people aren't married to LGBT people. My argument is basically the "abusive husband" will only want to beat wives if he is confronted by wives. But thats absurd. Married people generally see each other a lot.

Most people will go through life not knowing many LGBT people. Most people will never know a trans person. I'm not talking "see one in public," I'm talking about "recurring meetings in your life." Its just not going to happen.

People who never meet LGBT people and probably never will meet LGBT people will form their ideas on what they see in media alone, or from DEI stuff at their workplaces. Thats why the pot analogy works better - I think people are more accepting of others smoking pot as long as they don't see it.

I'll give it up, my intent is not to insult. But I am not making this stuff up - these aren't my ideas I am parroting others who wrote articles with more evidence. There's actually a lot written on it. I'm not just some jerk trying to ruffle feathers. I truly believe LGBT rights would be safer if, for instance, the drag queens stopped reading to kids. I swear, I think that is an effort invented by the right wing to drum up hatred.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 5:00 pm

Happy Pride Month ... am believing perhaps will be a zero violence celebration :jester:
And hope common sense might rule this month . " VIVA LA DIFFERANCE"
( just imagine if the only choice you had in Life was vanilla) could cause everyone to lose some of their apetite :eew:

where ever you go ,there you are

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2023, 5:09 pm

Actually, most people are at least as likely to meet, work with, encounter in commerce or be joined in activities by an LGBTQ+ person as they are one who is left handed. The difference is that left handed people do not feel like they have to hide their left handedness in order to be safe and treated as humans.

Actually, that’s a much better analogy, because lefties are born that way and can appear in right handed families.

I absolutely agree that being visible makes trans people less safe. But the problem is not the visibility of trans people. The problem is people who think it is ok to harm other people or treat them as less than human. Full stop.

The people doing this are harming others not because of the actions of those others - really, it harms you if a guy in a dress reads to my kid? Is it just that you were inconvenienced by having to reschedule your library visit to avoid that? That rises to the level of worthy of causing people harm? Did you have to explain what drag is? I had to explain why that man was dirty and mumbling into a paper bag next to the dumpster - where should I start? Beating the homeless? Setting fire to liquor stores? Prohibition? Draconian vagrancy laws?

If you are harming someone because they are doing a harmless thing that you can walk away from, you are in fact worse than that abusive husband - he just struck out at the nearest target, you had to go looking.

Until we make LGBTQ+ people so visible that we all realize they are our neighbors, our bankers, our grocers, our bosses, our employees, our children, our doctors, our firefighters, our cops, our teachers, our library volunteers, the people we love and trust and need, we won’t be motivated to stop the peo0le who are harming them.

Because it is with those harming people that the problem lies.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 5:33 pm

stratozyck wrote:
Quantum duck wrote:

Nope that's a bad analogy. Non LGBT people aren't married to LGBT people.

Bisexual people have entered the chat

Ever heard of a woman being a "beard"? I've known gay guys who were married to and sometimes even had children with women - either before they accepted their sexuality, or because of religious belief that they must marry the opposite sex.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 5:37 pm

It's personally no skin off my nose if someone disapproves of pride - especially if it's someone who could be considered an ally. It's just an opinion and doesn't hurt me.

But I'm still going to celebrate pride.

Pride is protest. Visibility is protest. Refusing to hide and be afraid of a minority of violent bigots is protest. Queer/LGBT joy out in the open is protest.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 5:55 pm

Well have to say was amazed , when a shorter thinner very shorthaired woman whom I had seen in a mixed Gay bar.
Was astounded by her when she went out of her way one day while on duty with two other male cops .
Violated my civil rights to get me out of my house by outright lying to me. , And tricked me into going with them to a police controlled psyche ward ,claiming it was a different place, used for obviously severe addicts before charging them with a crime . Later I discovered her actions were based on a Superiors instructions , A Major ., Because there were no charges made.
And after a stupid interrogation by 2 Licensed social workers, And I became aware I had intentionally been tricked ,
As I am disabled and needed help then badly in caring for my home and grounds . But was not obvious to anyone
outside my house , and I get no visitors .To have made that judgement . So I figured something was wrong .
But I had been making legal inquireys about police actions that were questionable .Was released 3 hours later..
Within 48 hours ,I took myself to the State attorney generals office in the capital here where the person,i was corresponding with via email about these legal inquireys. That was an experience. Needless to say that Major was manditorial retired by his own dept. :D
But the point was I have seen Gay people engage in the same trickery used by the bad guys. So be it I support Pride
but I will not support any individuals engaged in adversely affect anothers human rights. :o
" So old saying one apple does not spoil the bunch usually"
And also do find that not all drag Queen performers are gay ! rather they "discovered" a niche in the entertainment industry( dispelling older more ignorant beliefs)------After seeing several performances ,That were hard to believe ,Many years ago ,so am more careful than before to make generalization on most anyone, if I can help it . Unless obviously harming someone in some way. Even then might want details first. :|

where ever you go ,there you are