Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 6:46 am

I know, I have railed against this here for years. I even started a thread about it.

Here it goes. The anti-trans backlash does remind me of Germany in 1933. While not the Nuremberg Laws the anti trans laws are trying to separate transgender people from society. The continuing intense incitement is reminiscent of the Nazis. No, this is not the Nuremberg Laws or Kristallnacht for now, but unlike the things mentioned in that original thread it is not people disagreeing with government policy, these are government laws and officials doing the inciting. This is metastasizing, it is going to get violent and deadly fast.

I understand people have honest disagreements about how many genders there are and what should be taught in schools which to our credit we on WP debate civility. Agree or not Europe is revisiting and walking back on some treatments without nearly the degree of incitement we have.

Agree or not that trans people are succumbing to some sort of mass mania, they are people, and what is going on is the very last thing they need. I am going to say something that is hypothetical and white and cis splaining but if I was transgender I would be more frightened right now than if I was black.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 7:35 am

The comparison is not without justification. I have said before, Americans have been primed (almost cult-like) for this type of thinking against marganlised groups from the moment they started burning young women in Salem.

They taught the Nazis a lot about how to operate a dysfunctional society clandestinely for centuries. The nazis only lasted one decade.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 7:40 am

Transphobia being used to motivate violence is the objective. If you think back on the career of Donald Trump you will quickly see that all sorts of pretexts have been created to motivate violence, for example sending Proud Boys and Oath Keepers with their arsenals into cities as a way to deal with "BLM riots" or rigging the outcome of Kyle Rittenhouse's trial so that a 17-year-old with an AR-15 would be worshipped as a hero, culminating (for now) in the 6 January Putsch at the end of Trump's term in office. And transphobia is just another way to invite more armed mobs to the party.

This is so similar to what happened 100 years ago in Germany, unfortunately nobody is still around to remember that and raise the alarm.

BTW we don't really know what Hitler's personal views were regarding Jews. I would assume he didn't like them but he was aware at the time that targeting them was an easy way to inspire the sort of violence he needed to seize power, whereas today maybe it's trans people.

Speaking of January 6, isn't it a foregone conclusion that when Trump returns to the White House in 2025 he will probably pardon all those people who are now being sent to prison as his first official act and then they will resume their activities with his full support? Then no American will be safe, trans, gay, straight or whatever.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 7:59 am

The GOP has nothing to offer the electorate. So all it can do is to be seen to be fighting symbolic culture war battles, and to make scapegoats out of unpopular minority groups (like trans).

Interestingly their one culture war victory so far, banning abortion, loses them more votes than it gains even among MAGA faithful.

And yeah...the OP is observing some disturbing trends. Hard to argue with.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 8:14 am

A lot of the time people who are "anti-trans" are not "anti-trans". Many times they only voice concerns of unintended consequences of pro-trans ideology.

Not wanting to use certain pronouns because you believe it's grammatically incorrect or having genuine concerns that male to female trans athletes are still packing too much muscle is not "anti-trans" but just expressing issues that are completely outside the sphere of trans. One is grammar and one is muscle biology which are completely separate issues and not "anti-trans" but I see the transphobic slur hurled around regularly for people with these concerns.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 8:32 am

You're right about the Nazi comparison.

Also in Britain recently, a well known journalist/talk show host said this:

Quote:
Is it time to crack down on jobless benefits? Nearly 4 million people in the UK are being supported by the state without ever having to look for a job. That's because they've been deemed too sick to work. Is it wrong for taxpayers to fund them indefinitely?

i.e. what happens to these sick (and disabled) people once they lose their benefits? Think about it the ramifications of what he said...

First they came for the trans people, then they came for the disabled people... :x

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 8:35 am

KitLily wrote:
You're right about the Nazi comparison.

Also in Britain recently, a well known journalist/talk show host said this:

Quote:
Is it time to crack down on jobless benefits? Nearly 4 million people in the UK are being supported by the state without ever having to look for a job. That's because they've been deemed too sick to work. Is it wrong for taxpayers to fund them indefinitely?

i.e. what happens to these sick (and disabled) people once they lose their benefits? Think about it the ramifications of what he said...

First they came for the trans people, then they came for the disabled people... :x

Being honest, the whole comparison sounds bonkers to the point of offensive. Last time I checked, trans people weren't being gassed in concentration camps as "undesirables".

People knew what Hitler was up to from day one.

PenPen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2023, 9:01 am

Progressives should learn to stop poking the bear on these issues. It's better to let the march of progress move itself than try to propagandize the masses. Avoid their children, stop crass virtue signaling, stop mocking their faith. Treating them without respect will result in the right treating you the same way, further escalating conflict until one or both sides embrace totalitarianism as a means to an end. Let nature take its course.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 9:07 am

Nades wrote:
Being honest, the whole comparison sounds bonkers to the point of offensive. Last time I checked, trans people weren't being gassed in concentration camps as "undesirables".

With all due respect, Jews etc. weren't being gassed until AFTER Hitler had seized power, by which point it was too late and only a world war could resolve the issue.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 9:12 am

PenPen wrote:
Progressives should learn to stop poking the bear on these issues.

What do you mean by poking the bear? What bear?

PenPen wrote:
It's better to let the march of progress move itself than try to propagandize the masses.

Please elaborate on what sort of progress you believe to be happening.

PenPen wrote:
Avoid their children, stop crass virtue signaling, stop mocking their faith.

What faith? How does faith have anything to do with this topic anyway? Did you read the whole thread?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 9:21 am

MaxE wrote:
Nades wrote:

With all due respect, Jews etc. weren't being gassed until AFTER Hitler had seized power, by which point it was too late and only a world war could resolve the issue.

Oh come on. The worst it gets for them is not wanting male to female trans athletes completing against women. Other than that you don't hear of any exclusion or persecution.

This thread is just trying to stoke tensions by making outrageous comparisons which of course was the intention.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 9:33 am

Nades wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Nades wrote:

Oh come on. The worst it gets for them is not wanting male to female trans athletes completing against women. Other than that you don't hear of any exclusion or persecution.

This thread is just trying to stoke tensions by making outrageous comparisons which of course was the intention.

I will make one more attempt to explain my logic. So if you accept the original premise, then what the comparison the OP was making was to the events that led to the ascendancy of Naziism i.e. 1933 as he stated. There were no death camps in 1933. The genocide didn't occur until later when the Nazis had full control. So if you wanted to stretch the comparison to say that trans people WILL be literally exterminated after Trump regains power, or that it WON'T happen because the comparison is out of proportion and not valid in your opinion (which is a perfectly valid opinion BTW don't get me wrong) then I wouldn't argue.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 9:36 am

Ahem, Being Excluded From 'Society' As a Social Animal

Is A Slow and Torturous Process of Being Killed Within;

Of Course, Unless One Is Able to Ascend And Transcend

All the Foolish Ignorance With Enough Liberal Arts Education

And Conservative Science Education, Financially Independent too of Course;

And Dear Lord, Trust me or not, at the Beginning You Might

Get Bullied And Even Shunned For Dancing

Like A Ballerina Who Has No Skills in Public

in Matt Gaetz, DeSatanis, and TRuMP Land in the

Deep South Ignorance of 'Florida Men' Yet if You Continue

To Dance And Get Three Times Stronger in Leg Strength, Yes,

And Move From 210 Pounds of Muscle to 245 Pounds of Muscle

Starting Up Like a Ballerina at the Military Gym, Before You Load Up the

Leg Press Machine to 1540 Pounds Just to Warm Up with 12 Reps in Effortless

Grace of Wu Wei Ease; Indeed, Able to Stand Your Own Ground Without a Concealed

Weapon to Replace What Otherwise Might make You a Man Full of Graceful LoVE iN Peace;

True, Then No Body Dare Messes With the 'Ballerina Routine' That Took

You to All That 'Chi' Strength in Positive Energy of Loving Peace; True,

There is A Force of Humanity Now Much Greater Than Ignorance Holding

Power Weighing LoVE iN Peace Down to Nothingness Within of Real Organic Soul...

Yet You See That Is Nothing of Brave And Fearless Compared to the Transgender

Person Who Greets Every Person Best With A Smile at the Local Walmart in Matt Gaetz,

DeSatanis, And TRuMP Town USA Deep in This Down South Place of Ignorance to the 'Mad Max'

As He Doesn't Have to Move Mountains at the Military Gym to Stand His Ground; It Comes From

Above From A Smile

That Never Gives Up;

And Those Who Understand

Where True Power Comes From in

LoVE iN Peace Support Him, Including the

Undercover Security That i Discussed This With

Just the Other Day; Yes, They Have His Back And So Do

Other Decent Human Beings Who See LoVE iN Peace As The Highest Human Power...

Let's Face it;

It's Human Nature,

THere Will Always Be

'Old Testament' Humans

And 'New Testament' Humans;

Some Living in the Cave; Others Venturing

Out into the LiGHT oF LoVE iN Peace And Staycationing
in This Heavenly Place on Earth That Surely Has A Place

At The Top For That Young Transgender Person Greeting

Everyone DarK Thru LiGHT, Entering the Walmart Store That

Has a German Woman Manager Who isn't Afraid to Proudly Display

Her LGBQT Plus Celebration in the Month of June; And Just Like Christmas,

in The Earlier Months Before the Celebration Even Arrives ALL JUNE LONG...

Yep at the Very Front of the Store;

For You See in the Backwards

Ignorant Old Testament

Leaning Churches

in This Area, New Testament

Folks Still Find Their Way Out of That Closet/Cave;

And No Matter What You See on TV; For Youth at Least, i Find They Are A True Majority Now...

As i Damn Sure Get Out; Meet And Greet Them in Public Dance As A Participant Anthropology

Observer, Just Part of One of my 3 College Degrees in Anthropology, Along With
Health Science, And Social Sciences Interdisciplinary, And Yes Get Their Personal

Views and Note Them Just Like This Recording the Circus and LoVE iN Peace Show too...

It's True As Usual the Minority is Living in the Cave; It's True Even in the Rest of Nature Science

Assesses

80 Percent

of Nature As

Rovers and 20 Percent As Sitters...

More and More Younger Folks Are Moving Out of the Cave...

And That's Scaring the CR8P Out of the Older Motel Dwellers at Night

to come out in Broad Daylight To Make One Last Grasp to Stay in the Cave...

Listen Up, i Lived Through

the 60's and early 70's of the

Vietnam War Era, Where They Spit

on Anyone With Long Hair Like that

Androgynous Portrait Da Vinci Did of

Jesus at a Last Supper; And If Young Boys;

Particularly, Androgynous Ones Mistaken Like

me and Bullied For Having A Beautiful White Smile
And Crystal Green to Blue Eyes and Long Eyelashes

Hehe, Yet Still an Ugly Girl in Their Eyes; True, i Was Spit

on For Just Being a Happy Human Being; Cause i Wasn't Gonna

Be Fodder For Another Unwarranted War Killing Foreigners Who Weren't

WASPS's AS Such;

Yet You See, What

i Do My Best is to Avoid,

is Put Those 'Humans in the

Gas Chamber Now;' i Do My Best

to See Their Blindness and Just Ponder

i Could Have Been One of them in Other

Nature And Nurture Environments; Indeed i am Still The (a) Fortunate One...

THere Are A Lot of Decent Human Beings on This Website; i Like That A Whole Lot...

IN FaCT, i LOVE IT;

Indeed, it Feels
Like They Are
A True Majority;
Such A Lovely Place to Visit Now...

As Long as Decent Human Beings Express
Support for 'the Marginalized,' We Won't Be Going Back
to the Early Parts of the 20th Century; 'Welcome To A NeweR Age'...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

PenPen

27 May 2023, 9:40 am

MaxE wrote:
PenPen wrote:
Progressives should learn to stop poking the bear on these issues.

What do you mean by poking the bear? What bear?

PenPen wrote:
It's better to let the march of progress move itself than try to propagandize the masses.

Please elaborate on what sort of progress you believe to be happening.

PenPen wrote:
Avoid their children, stop crass virtue signaling, stop mocking their faith.

What faith? How does faith have anything to do with this topic anyway? Did you read the whole thread?

Significantly offending right wingers so they act aggressively, radicalize, and accept totalitarian politics.

A combination of new cultural developments and returning to more pre-Abrahamic beliefs that means, generally, the country is going leftwards.

If we are to take the texts of Abrahamic faiths literally, they're not exactly the most pro-LGBT books on Earth (I know they talk about homosexuality over trans, but usually these two views are attached anyways). If right wingers get radicalized, they might find solace in the tradition of these books, and these books have very x-phobic views, without the need of Nazism. Hence it would be unwise to trigger the Abrahamic religious population.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 10:03 am

Trans rights are Human rights!

Reading through this thread, I have seen 1 too many "Oh, it's not the same, so calm down", to which I ask, are you sure you want to be proven wrong? The threat of violence against marginalized peoples, as well as the rise of "uber" fascism is VERY REAL, has been for a very long time, and we ALL must work together to stop it from ever happening again.

("uber" as opposed to the fascism we are already subjected to) (I won't even get into the false "both sides" notion mentioned in here. Get real... the "other side" is defending itself from the fash every single time)

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 11:02 am

PenPen wrote:
Significantly offending right wingers so they act aggressively, radicalize, and accept totalitarian politics.

A combination of new cultural developments and returning to more pre-Abrahamic beliefs that means, generally, the country is going leftwards.

If we are to take the texts of Abrahamic faiths literally, they're not exactly the most pro-LGBT books on Earth (I know they talk about homosexuality over trans, but usually these two views are attached anyways). If right wingers get radicalized, they might find solace in the tradition of these books, and these books have very x-phobic views, without the need of Nazism. Hence it would be unwise to trigger the Abrahamic religious population.

A well thought out response! Thanks!