Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

theredsea
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2023, 2:21 pm

So I've read that toe walking is a common autistic trait, presumably due to sensory issues so the foot isn't in contact with the floor. However I saw a TikTok video recently about how walking with the outside edge of your feet is also categorised as toe walking due to reduced floor contact. I have been on a path of self diagnosis for a few years but dismissed the possibility of autism for a while due to my "symptoms" being mostly social rather than sensory from my perspective. After watching the TiKTok video I realized that I do walk on the side edges of my feel A LOT when I'm at home.

anyway, Is walking on the side edge of your feet grouped into the diagnosis of toe walking or not? And I also heard that Toe walking is common for people with ADHD though I didnt think the ADHD resulted in sensory issues.

..also I hate socks.

any thoughts? thanks.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 3:33 pm

It's not currently part of diagnostic criteria for ADHD, but sensory processing disorder occurs frequently in ADHD :)

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2023, 8:40 pm

I've never toe walked but my sister, who is as far from autism as it gets, toe walked a lot as a kid.

Tianno
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2023, 8:04 am

Thats curiouse!
Im really sensitive under my feet, especially in the mornings, I can barely walk on my carpet... Sillywalking down the stairs hahah...

Deffinetly prefer barefooted, and i do toe walk, or just lift a tiny bit off of my heals (its that correct?...)

But my feet in general seems to be a big Chaplin fan, so they have their own show going on :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 8:12 am

Look at your calf muscles. If they're kind of weirdly boxy or an unusual shape, it apparently means we toe walk. I didn't know that a person is supposed to walk by putting their heel on the ground before their toes. Toe walking means the person puts the ball of their foot on the ground before their heel, with each step. I know I do that and my calf muscles are kind of unusual as a result. I always thought toe walking had to mean that we walk on tiptoes. Some kids do that but most of us as adults don't, because our body weight is too great. Instead, we walk with the balls of our feet instead of our heels.

I only learned this recently.

Oh, and I'm a barefooter too. I can't stand socks (I only own one pair and most of the time my dog has carried them into the yard because I pull them off and leave them willy-nilly around the house if I'm forced to wear them.) I'm barefoot even in the middle of winter when it's -30 outside. I can't even put a bedsheet over my feet.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 8:45 am

I don't think I toe walk, but walking on my heels does suck cuz it feels weird. I still seem to walk normally though.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 8:52 am

I don't think I've toe walked but I have unbelievably flat feet. Hardly any arch.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 3:56 pm

I can't speak for others but I've also read that toe-walking is common among Autistics.

For my part, when I walk I tend to put the front of my foot down first but I do put the whole foot down. When I think about it I think the front of the foot can soften the impact of my foot with the ground so it is less noisy and less jarring.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 4:31 pm

I'm a bit of a toe walker. I used to get in trouble for that when I was a kid. I tend to walk more on the outer edges of my feet though, but in the front and not evenly throughout the foot. All of my socks get holes in them on the outer side of the balls of my feet. I kill socks and occasionally split my shoes from the way I walk (I've cracked the soles of numerous pairs over the years). As has been mentioned, I have the weird boxy calf muscles to show for it. I never was dx'd with adhd, though I have my suspicions that I do have it. I am dx'd with autism.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2023, 10:26 pm

I'll occasionally walk on my toes (as in the front portion of my feet), but I usually walk normally.

I believe this may be related to the fascination with high heeled shoes I had as a little kid from 1st - 3rd grade. Also in 4th grade, I got a pair of Bella Ballerina Skechers and spent a lot of time spinning around on my toes with them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 10:31 pm

I toe walk and have since I was little. I can touch my heels to the ground without any difficulty though.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 12:30 am

I have had plantar fasciitis since childhood.  Walking on the balls of my feet ("toe-walking") was the only way I knew back then to relieve the pain.  My dad accused me of sneaking around, and others made up nick-names that implied I was either fae, gay, or a wannabe ballet dancer.

It was not until I could afford my own doctor that I finally got a diagnosis.  Padded insoles help a lot.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 2:56 am

I'm a toe walker with no reason as to why. It's just a default setting.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 11:29 am

Fnord wrote:
I have had plantar fasciitis since childhood.  Walking on the balls of my feet ("toe-walking") was the only way I knew back then to relieve the pain.  My dad accused me of sneaking around, and others made up nick-names that implied I was either fae, gay, or a wannabe ballet dancer.

It was not until I could afford my own doctor that I finally got a diagnosis.  Padded insoles help a lot.

That sort of parent annoys the hell out of me. When my daughter is doing something 'weird' I ask her if she's okay. I don't make fun of her! :x

Anyway, that is a tangent, sorry!