Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Andina
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2023, 11:57 pm

Hi. I'm Andina, and I'm very excited to have stumbled across Wrong Planet – I don't really 'get' Facebook, so it's nice to find a forum that isn't Facebook-based. I'm in lovely Tasmania, Australia. I discovered that I'm autistic (and was diagnosed) a couple of years ago, at the age of 60! Must be some sort of record. Suddenly, every single thing in my life made sense – from a meltdown-filled childhood that nobody understood to difficulties with so many aspects of life in adulthood. But as well as feeling elated and relieved about the diagnosis (finally discovering which planet I'm on!), I've also felt a sense of grief – for the different life I might have led if I had been diagnosed earlier. But I'm very happy to be here now, and hope to make some contacts, and both give and receive support.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:29 am

Andina wrote:
Suddenly, every single thing in my life made sense –

Yep! It does do that. :D

Quote:
But as well as feeling elated and relieved about the diagnosis ... I've also felt a sense of grief – for the different life I might have led if I had been diagnosed earlier.

Yep, again, that too is a thing which happens.

Yep, this is your planet, Welcome Aboard! :D

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:54 pm

late diagnosed here, too. There are a number of us present in this group. we are from all over the world. Miracles of the internet!! ! Welcome, make yourself at home!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 12:58 pm

Welcome Andina.

Nice to meet you.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 2:27 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 3:48 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you will like it here.

And you will probably be entertained by how much diagnosis at 60 is not a record here. I was diagnosed shortly before my 65th and have found that (a) quite a few folk here were also diagnosed later in life, and (b) some were diagnosed when they were quite a few years older than I was when I was diagnosed.

Since you made it so many decades without a diagnosis I'll guess you are Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild), as I am, and that you are doing reasonably well in life, as I am. This leads me to mention some things that it took me a little time to figure out, that's not true of everyone here. Some people here have Autism that is not mild, some of them have other serious medical problems, and some are struggling in life. I think it is helpful to remember that there is a variety of folk here...but all nice folk!

And I think you will enjoy the company. I know I do!

Andina
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2023, 6:03 pm

Actually, my autism isn't mild – I was way off the scale when I was finally diagnosed, and I ticked nearly every box. I guess it's as my sister (who is a doctor) says: 'Autism wasn't on anyone's radar back then'. Instead, I was sent to various child psychologists who were clueless, and I have been given various other diagnoses – none of which have been a perfect 'fit' – since then. Yes, I have made it through many decades, but it has been a battle, with many casualties. I function well on the surface (e.g. at work), but not in private or internally (which is why 'high functioning' is not a very useful term).
Thanks for the words of welcome, everyone.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 8:53 pm

Then you should fit in here well!

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2023, 12:45 am

Hello from Up Over aka the US. lol Nice "meeting" you. Yeah I felt that sense of things making more sense upon my diagnosis. As well as the "what if's". I'm sure you'll have many other questions answered in here.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 8:42 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!