Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

28 May 2023, 2:16 am

Hello everyone,

What is a conspiracy theory that you either believe in, find interesting or hilarious?

I look forward to hearing everyone's responses.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 2:44 am

Cultural Marxism is a pretty hilarious one.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

28 May 2023, 3:09 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Cultural Marxism is a pretty hilarious one.

What is Cultural Marxism? I am familiar with the term but I don't know what it means.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 11:10 am

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 1:25 pm

Lizards, lizards everywhere.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

28 May 2023, 8:10 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 8:18 pm

Quote:
As oppressed groups -- women, minorities, LGBTQ+ folks -- gain the tools of liberation, such as the Internet and civil rights protections, they will have an influence on culture.  The systems that were created to oppress them -- the patriarchy, the nuclear family, white supremacy -- will then recede.
^ THIS, quoted for truth.

It is because the white male protestant patriarchy (WMPP) is losing its ability to rule by fiat (e.g., declaring an authoritative decree, sanction, or order based on race, sex, disability, et cetera), then every non-WMPP is perceived as a threat and must be demonized in every possible way.

I feel nothing but scorn and contempt for those patriarchs because they know that they are being slowly outnumbered and fear being canceled, erased, or replaced.

:twisted:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 10:04 pm

Canadian Freedom Lover wrote:

There really is no truth to the claims whatsoever, outside of minor coincidence.

Various marginalized peoples being able to seek equality isn't going to destroy society, it isn't even a sign of an unhealthy society in the first place and the creeps who insist otherwise are a big part of what actually harms a society.

The political right is just seeking to refight the culture wars (after losing them the first time around) and they seek to do so with utter BS claims because if they were honest about what they stand for, most people would be repulsed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 10:29 pm

Whether I have a favorite conspiracy theory is unknown but at the end of the previous century and first year of this one while I was working overnights at the auto auction it was fun to listen to the conspiracy theory programs on Art Bell's radio show.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

28 May 2023, 10:44 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

There really is no truth to the claims whatsoever, outside of minor coincidence.

Various marginalized peoples being able to seek equality isn't going to destroy society, it isn't even a sign of an unhealthy society in the first place and the creeps who insist otherwise are a big part of what actually harms a society.

The political right is just seeking to refight the culture wars (after losing them the first time around) and they seek to do so with utter BS claims because if they were honest about what they stand for, most people would be repulsed.

Did you watch the video?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 10:53 pm

Did you watch the video?

Yes.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

28 May 2023, 11:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Did you watch the video?

Yes.

Fair enough then.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2023, 11:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Did you watch the video?

Yes.

Fair enough then.

The idea that all sorts of various marginalized groups only act as part of some Soviet plot rather than on their own agency is absurd.

Like seriously, try to imagine being told that you only care about your rights because some outside entity is using you. Absurd is an understatement, it's outright insulting.

But also, the claims contained within that video aren't really aligned with the claims made by the Cultural Marxism conspiracy, which largely blames German Jewish intellectuals, rather than a plot orchestrated by the Soviets.

I think it's far-fetched to claim that the Soviets, or Russia, or the PRC, or whoever never seek to further inflame tensions in the US, but they're taking advantage of pre-existing issues and activists; they're not creating astroturf movements to invent issues out of thin air.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Veggamattic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2023, 3:56 pm

I think a definition of what a conspiracy theory is might help. Many things considered theory, are facts known to some but not others. For example, Americans using false flags to incite and justify war. They have done it in almost every major war they have every been involved in and much of it is not even open for debate any more. Is this considered a theory?

I'd also like to comment on the term conspiracy theorist. This is such a ridiculous term. If you are a relatively well informed citizen and you don't believe in some conspiracy theories, then you are either delusional or suffer from serious cognitive dissonance. It just makes me roll my eyes when someone get's labeled as "a conspiracy theorist"...if your not...to some degree...then you are either an idiot of willfully ignorant.

Last edited by Veggamattic on 30 May 2023, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:17 pm

Veggamattic wrote:
If you are a relatively well informed citizen and you don't believe in some conspiracy theories,

That bit brings this to mind,
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 23.2172695

Quote:
Video Abstract Transcript - Who is a Conspiracy Theorist?
Are you a conspiracy theorist?
Most people would not readily admit that they are, but would perhaps sooner call
somebody else a conspiracy theorist.

In this paper, I look at different definitions and conceptualizations of the term conspiracy
theory and conspiracy theorist, starting with what I call the simple definition, commonly
found in the dictionary. it states that a conspiracy theory is a theory that explains an event
where a conspiracy is cited as a salient cause. And a conspiracy theorist is simply a person
who believes (or is committed) to such a theory in some sense.

By the simple definition then, the philosopher Charles Pigden argument that, it is enough
that you believe the nightly news or the history books to be a conspiracy theorist. And if you
don’t, presumably it is because you believe that somebody has conspired to fake them. So,
either way you are a conspiracy theorist.

But with such a conclusion we get a rather worrisome dilemma. On the one hand most
people don’t think they are conspiracy theories and on the other, we all are. I call this the
problem of self-identification. A second problem arises from the conclusion, namely that the
construct is essentially theoretically useless. It would be like defining a pyromaniac as
someone who has ever lit a fire, or intelligence in a way that makes everyone intelligent.
In my paper I suggest that these problems are currently causing confusion in the literature
and present us with a dilemma, the conspiracy definition dilemma. I present an analysis of
the literature and what are on my reconstruction the solutions on offer, and argue that
none is satisfactory. Either a) the solution will solve the problem of self-identification or b) it
will potentially provide a theoretical fruitful definition, but no account does both. Check out
my paper to find out how I come to this conclusion!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 4:21 pm

Also perhaps relevant, or at least of interest,

This Just In: Conspiracy Theorists Not Quite as Kooky as Previously Reported
Greetings from the second International Conspiracy Theory Symposium, where one of the most cited findings in the field has been debunked.
Jesse Walker | 3.22.2023 10:45 AM

https://reason.com/2023/03/22/this-just ... -reported/

Quote:
... The press couldn't resist the idea of a kook so divorced from common sense that he thinks someone could be both alive and dead. The study became a staple of pop-science pieces on conspiracy theories, and of pop-intellectual writing by figures such as Cass Sunstein. And when other experimenters followed up on the paper, they replicated its results.

"Journalists love it," declared Jan-Willem van Prooijen, a psychologist from VU Amsterdam, as he addressed the International Conspiracy Theory Symposium at the University of Miami this past weekend. "It's a cool finding. There's just one problem: It's not true."

Van Prooijen is not the first scholar to challenge this idea. Last year, for example, the philosopher Kurtis Hagen noted that the original study did not measure people's beliefs so much as the degree of credence they gave to different possibilities: Rather than simply endorsing or rejecting each theory, participants were asked to rate each story's plausibility on a seven-point scale, an approach that gave room to entertain the ideas as suspicions without embracing them as full-fledged beliefs. But van Prooijen was discussing a more fundamental problem. The whole phenomenon, he told the Miami audience, could just be a statistical artifact.

Most people, after all, don't believe that Diana was assassinated or that she faked her death. If you're just looking at the overall numbers, that huge correlation between the participants who disbelieve both stories could create the illusion of a correlation where participants believe both. So van Prooijen and four colleagues ran their own series of experiments, this time paying closer attention to who was endorsing and rejecting each yarn.

The results, which will soon appear in the journal Psychological Science, showed that people who endorsed one conspiracy story were generally less likely, not more likely, to endorse an apparently contradictory narrative. There were a few exceptions, but these involved questions where, on closer examination, the theories weren't necessarily contradictory after all. For example: After the first experiment showed people maintaining that pharmaceutical companies were both obstructing research to find a cancer cure and withholding a cure they already possessed, the authors realized that these could be reconciled if you believe Big Pharma is hiding a cure for one type of cancer and blocking research on another. Whatever else you might think of that belief system, it is not as irrational as the Schrödinger's Princess scenario.

More at the page.