Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 11:54 am

Do you wear corduroy pants?

The friction of the pant legs can whip up the static electricity.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 9:30 pm

My allistic husband agrees that I impact electrical systems. We've been together 30 years and we've collected evidence. If I computer is on sleep it will wake up when I walk by. He will shoo me away from the computer if I am in a bad mood. It seems my cars exhibit electrical problems when I am especially stressed. I constantly shock everyone and the cats and relevant objects, but figured it was because I live in a dry climate now. I just checked with my spouse and he says that doesn't happen to him. Hmmm. (I do not set off metal detectors.)

I find this online "You can find ESD shoewear (such as the Red Wing 2241's I wear constantly)". In the house I wear socks a lot in winter; I'll have to pay attention to see if it happens with footwear or when I am barefoot.

Also, "synthetic fibres like nylon and polyester [and wool] are all culprits for electric shocks. If you don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe, you can add baking soda to your laundry as this creates a barrier to stop charge accumulating".

I'll have to pay attention to when I am relaxed or stressed and with or without shoes or static-producing clothing and see what happens. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 7:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Do you wear corduroy pants?

The friction of the pant legs can whip up the static electricity.

Only in winter when it's cold. It doesn't seem to make any difference to my static, it's always there.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 7:54 am

SharonB wrote:
My allistic husband agrees that I impact electrical systems. We've been together 30 years and we've collected evidence. If I computer is on sleep it will wake up when I walk by. He will shoo me away from the computer if I am in a bad mood. It seems my cars exhibit electrical problems when I am especially stressed. I constantly shock everyone and the cats and relevant objects, but figured it was because I live in a dry climate now. I just checked with my spouse and he says that doesn't happen to him. Hmmm. (I do not set off metal detectors.)

I find this online "You can find ESD shoewear (such as the Red Wing 2241's I wear constantly)". In the house I wear socks a lot in winter; I'll have to pay attention to see if it happens with footwear or when I am barefoot.

Also, "synthetic fibres like nylon and polyester [and wool] are all culprits for electric shocks. If you don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe, you can add baking soda to your laundry as this creates a barrier to stop charge accumulating".

I'll have to pay attention to when I am relaxed or stressed and with or without shoes or static-producing clothing and see what happens. :)

Ooh, spooky! My husband says the same. Not about computers but about how static I am. I often shock him and our daughter when I kiss them. They don't shock me or anyone else.

I don't really wear nylon, polyester and wool. I usually wear cotton, acrylic and viscose. Most of my clothes are natural fibres in fact.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 3:59 pm

I get a bit static-y, myself. I always have. I will accidentally zap people. Lol.

I used to kill wrist watches so I gave up trying to wear them. I fry them out after a day of wearing them. I can manage to keep a pocket watch though. I don't kill those.

I have a weird charge or something. I dunno.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2023, 8:06 pm

^Same. I don't wear a watch anymore.

I would pat our old cat while he was sitting on my chair and lightly zap him whenever my hand touched him. He used to get pissed off and leave.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 6:31 am

Oh that's interesting! My watches never last, I haven't worn one for years now. And I generally know what the time is anyway, I seem to have an internal clock.

I just zapped the television, but luckily it didn't seem to mind. I have to be careful with machines.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 6:51 am

I'm dynamic. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 7:05 am

^ yes it just occurred to me the different meanings of the word static! :lol:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2023, 5:58 pm

KitLily wrote:
As long as I can remember, I've been very static i.e. I often give people and things a mild electric shock when I touch them. I was even told not to touch the card readers in one job I had because I kept shorting them.

I wondered if it's just me or some autism thing and we all do it. :batman:

OK, it is going to sound like a sad joke now, but "YOU STOLE MY THUNDER"!

BUT, to your question...... This world is essentially one gigantic battery. and a lot of things that move around, INCLUDING PEOPLE, generate a charge, and may hold it for a time. This is especially true on newer carpet, or during the winter, etc.... So who knows. At one point in like the 1960s or so a lot of people found that tapes would go bad. It took a while to find out the cause. The programers often had secretaries or some other people that were often women, and they would take the tapes and put them in the tape drives, like in the old movies showing computer tapes a lot of you have likely seen. Anyway, the tapes rubbing their stockings or whatever wasn't good for the magnetic fields on the tape.

As an aside, I DID once need to have a paper scanner, and I went through two or three before I really realized tat I was accidentally touching the socket and hurting the device. It only happened in winter though, because the humidity dropped which meant the air was less conductive, and the power my body absorbed was enough to hurt such a device.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2023, 5:37 am

But what I mean is, why is it just ME who shocks people? I've never been shocked by anyone else but I'm always shocking them.

I don't wear nylon or static-y fabrics, definitely not smelly tights or stockings. I mostly wear cotton because I prefer it. I hate artificial fabrics. And it happens all times of year e.g. now which is June.

So there is something about ME out of all the people I know, which means I'm more static. Otherwise everyone I know would constantly be shocking each other.