Recent Social Media Advisory Is Important for Autistic Youth

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 9:46 am

Autistic youth may be especially vulnerable to negative effects of social media.

Quote:
U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy has had a longstanding commitment to promoting mental health and well-being. He views the increasing prevalence of mental health problems as the most significant public health crisis of our time. Recently, he issued an advisory about the impact of social media on the mental health of children and adolescents. Noting that 95% of youth ages 13-17 report using social media, he described both the positive and negative effects of social media use and made recommendations for policymakers, parents, and researchers regarding the use of social media by youth. These recommendations may have even greater importance for children and adolescents on the autism spectrum.

On the positive side, autistic children and adolescents often struggle with making social connections, and social media can sometimes help autistic youth make those connections. Some evidence suggests that autistic people have a stronger preference for using social media to seek out social relationships compared to nonautistic people. Social media platforms can help autistic youth find a positive community of friends, including those that share their specific interests and hobbies. Such communities offer opportunities for self-expression and social support. Making connections with other autistic individuals can promote a positive sense of self-identity and access to autistic role models.

A recent systematic review that included over 3,000 autistic youth and adults found that the use of social media had both benefits and drawbacks. Benefits described by autistic people included the reduced range of social cues online and being able to regulate the amount of stimulation during social interactions. However, autistic people also reported that such online interactions did not reduce their feelings of loneliness and were not a substitute for in-person friendships. This review also found that the negative impacts of social media, including cyberbullying, trolling, and deception, were more severe for autistic people. Another review and meta-analysis of 17 studies found that autistic youth are at greater risk of victimization and verbal bullying compared to their nonautistic peers. Studies have shown that people who have experienced cyberbullying are especially vulnerable to the harmful effects of social media on mental health.

Another drawback is social media's negative portrayal of autism. One study found that social media content often was stigmatizing rather than empowering. So, searching social media to understand what autism is could have negative consequences for a child's self-esteem. This is particularly worrisome given the well-established effects of social media on mental health. Research has found that using social media for more than three hours per day doubles an adolescent’s chance of experiencing depression and anxiety. These statistics are particularly concerning for autistic youth who have been found to experience mental health conditions at higher rates than the population as a whole.

Another concern discussed in the Surgeon General’s report is the potential impact of social media on the developing brain. The period from 10 to 18 years is one of rapid brain growth, especially for the brain areas involved in risk-taking, reward-seeking, and self-regulation. Social media may overstimulate the reward pathways in the brain, similar to what occurs in addiction. Research with nonautistic youth has shown that increased use of social media can alter the development of the amygdala and the prefrontal cortex, brain regions involved in emotional regulation and reward sensitivity. These brain areas have been shown to develop differently in autistic individuals, raising the possibility that the effects of social media use on these brain areas could be more significant in autistic youth.

Finally, research has established a link between the use of social media and sleep problems. Autistic youth are at increased risk for sleep problems, including having trouble falling asleep and waking frequently during the night. Such sleep problems are thought to stem from differences in the genes that control circadian rhythm. Disrupted sleep in autistic people might also be related to sensory sensitivities and the presence of medical conditions, such as GI problems, that cause discomfort. Other research suggests that autism is associated with differences in levels of melatonin, a hormone that regulates our sleep cycle. The use of social media can cause suppression of endogenous melatonin by the blue light emitted from screens. Sleep disruption can also result from arousing or disturbing content.

I don’t find anything to disagree with here. Even though I am anything but young my experiences both positive and negative have bern similar.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:46 am

That bit in there,

Quote:
Disrupted sleep in autistic people might also be related to sensory sensitivities and the presence of medical conditions, such as GI problems, that cause discomfort.

In my case there is no "might be", given there is the presence of pain-causing neurological and musculoskeletal disease.

And there are enough people overall who have such things that there is a word,
What is painsomnia?
By Whitney Luke, MD, MBOE
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physician, Clinical Associate Professor
Ohio State Wexner Medical Center
https://health.osu.edu/health/general-h ... painsomnia
"
For many people, living with chronic pain will leave them feeling serious discomfort throughout the day and well into their nights. This type of pain often hinders your ability to fall asleep, stay asleep and get the crucial benefits of a good night’s rest.
“Painsomnia” is a patient-created name for the experience of chronic pain leading to regular insomnia. While the term painsomnia itself isn’t typically used in the medical field, it’s still recognized as a sleep disorder by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
While painsomnia can result from even minor injuries that linger and disturb sleep, there are many conditions, disorders and diseases that bring on chronic pain.
"
"
Treatment for painsomnia, or chronic pain at night
There’s no uniform treatment plan for dealing with chronic pain and specifically painsomnia. Different medical conditions require specialized plans of action based on your experiences, age and medical history.
When treating painsomnia, several crucial decisions to be made. The first is whether to initially treat your pain or work to correct your difficulty sleeping.
Given its deep ties to sleep habits, it’s important to understand what effect sleep medicines might have on the patient. For children, sleep medication could alter their growth or development during the night, so treating insomnia becomes more difficult. Similarly, sleep medication for the elderly can create other health problems.
..."

And that segues nicely in to,

Quote:
Other research suggests that autism is associated with differences in levels of melatonin, a hormone that regulates our sleep cycle.

Where my couple times using supplemental melatonin have highlighted that there is something irregularly dysfunctional with my body, two reactions, and opposing reactions, were the most common result,
sometimes there was a fairly quick and intense reaction when the melatonin began to be absorbed, or,
taking, eventually, 2 and 3 times the dose produced pretty much the same effect as having swallowed air.
Only rarely did the standard cause produce the standard effect.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 11:12 am

I can attest that, had there been social media like that of today, or even just the Internet, way back when I was a youth (70/80s), I would have had a very different childhood, and most of it would ultimately have not been good for me. TBF, though, the WORLD as a whole would be in a better state than it is today, IMHO

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 11:47 am

mrpieceofwork wrote:
... social media ... TBF, though, the WORLD as a whole would be in a better state than it is today, IMHO

While there are great negatives happening in and with social media, that it even exists has been a wonderful thing for those people who inhabit in the incurable illness, chronic illness, and disabled, communities.
A lot of useful information gets shared and shared widely.
And especially important is that the housebound and bedridden people are able to have sanity-preserving contact with people far and wide.
Since healthy able people are not in those communities and not having that experience of life, they can not see that.
Unless they are a caregiver to the ill and disabled.
And then the caregivers have their own needs and benefits from social media.
And yes, there are incurably ill and/or housebound and/or bedridden youth.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 11:51 am

I can understand that. It's a question of choosing which social media to use very, very carefully. Probably with supervision from parents/adults. I keep a close eye on my daughter.

I joined social media when I was 40 and it really negatively affected me for quite a few years. Then I learned to keep off the really toxic sites and pick and choose the more gentle, supportive ones.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 12:47 pm

Simple social media such as this and other forums with a specific interest have been extremely beneficial to me. The connection with other autists has been helpful.

I don't do any of the other social media and I can see how it could be especially damaging for young people, trying to get likes, being open to bullying, etc.