Not giving me an explanation why I am banned?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:35 am

There is this one posh resturant/pub I go to on most weekends briefly where I look for people I might know then walk out if I can't find anyone.

Last saturday when I went in there this guy came up to me saying "Your banned from here" I then asked him "Is there a reason why?" and he said "We don't have to give you a reason".

Do you agree that if there going to ban me they could at least give me an explanation as to why?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:36 am

Well they should have a reason, as I've never heard of any businesses banning customers for no reason.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:37 am

Joe90 wrote:
Well they should have a reason, as I've never heard of any businesses banning customers for no reason.

Why do they never tell you the reason why?

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:45 am

As sh***y as it is, the restaurant is not obligated in any way to give anyone any reason for the restaurant "removing" them from the premises. It's a private establishment, and you, as someone "off the street" are there at the restaurant's discretion. That said, my thinking is, it was pissing someone off there that you weren't spending any money there.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:46 am

Whenever I've been banned from places it's because of antisocial behaviour.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:48 am

My dad said to me it could be because they don't like people going in and out or they I am going in there to do drugs or something.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:52 am

How do you know it wasn't just some random guy having you on? While restaurant owners aren't required to give a reason for a ban they do have to identify themselves as owners or management did you ask?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 10:59 am

DanielW wrote:
How do you know it wasn't just some random guy having you on? While restaurant owners aren't required to give a reason for a ban they do have to identify themselves as owners or management did you ask?

Yeah thats what I thought as well. No I don't think I did ask.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 2:11 pm

Jamesy wrote:
My dad said to me it could be because they don't like people going in and out or they I am going in there to do drugs or something.

Why would thay think you're just popping in to do drugs

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 2:31 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
As sh***y as it is, the restaurant is not obligated in any way to give anyone any reason for the restaurant "removing" them from the premises. It's a private establishment, and you, as someone "off the street" are there at the restaurant's discretion. That said, my thinking is, it was pissing someone off there that you weren't spending any money there.

No, but if they refuse to say why, it may be one of the reasons that they can't legally ban somebody. Especially if there wasn't an explicit reason given.

Being open to the public brings some limitations on that.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 2:34 pm

I've never been banned from a restaurant, but there've been one or two occasions when a waiter or waitress has given me very dirty looks and appeared quite hostile. On those occasions I've been on my own at a table, and simply minding my own business. I was completely baffled as to what I'd done to deserve this treatment. I've read numerous accounts of similar experiences from other members of this website.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 2:55 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I've never been banned from a restaurant, but there've been one or two occasions when a waiter or waitress has given me very dirty looks and appeared quite hostile. On those occasions I've been on my own at a table, and simply minding my own business. I was completely baffled as to what I'd done to deserve this treatment. I've read numerous accounts of similar experiences from other members of this website.

Yes, usually when people are banned, it's at the time that the alleged interaction has happened, not typically later on.

I used to work security and usually there was something given to indicate that they weren't being trespassed from the premises and that coming back would result in being arrested.

That being said, it doesn't always happen for one reason or another.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 4:32 pm

Oh, whoops... I left that part out ha ha oof (in all actuality, it's IMPLIED) (IOW, no duh) (I still stand by what I og said)

"Do Restaurants and Bars Have the Right to Refuse Service?
culinarylore.com/food-law:do-restaurants-have-the-right-to-refuse-service/
Restaurants Cannot Refuse Service Based on Discrimination The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits restaurants from refusing service based on race, color, religion, or national origin. Beyond this, if a restaurant refuses service to someone because of a reason not explicitly outlined, the courts would have to decide."

\ 8) :wink: :P

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 4:41 pm

Jamesy wrote:
There is this one posh resturant/pub I go to on most weekends briefly where I look for people I might know then walk out if I can't find anyone.

Last saturday when I went in there this guy came up to me saying "Your banned from here" I then asked him "Is there a reason why?" and he said "We don't have to give you a reason".

Do you agree that if there going to ban me they could at least give me an explanation as to why?

It might be you don't have a booking and wander in and out regularly. The proprietor might have a case for trespass and/or loitering.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 6:21 pm

mrpieceofwork wrote:
Oh, whoops... I left that part out ha ha oof (in all actuality, it's IMPLIED) (IOW, no duh) (I still stand by what I og said)

Restaurants Cannot Refuse Service Based on Discrimination The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits restaurants from refusing service based on race, color, religion, or national origin. Beyond this, if a restaurant refuses service to someone because of a reason not explicitly outlined, the courts would have to decide."

America's Civil Rights Act of 1964 won't do him any good in the UK.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2023, 8:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
mrpieceofwork wrote:

America's Civil Rights Act of 1964 won't do him any good in the UK.

No, but presumably there are some protections over there. Also the EU ones wouldn't apply at this point either.